Loose rear sight n izzy

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gwhite

Re: Loose rear sight n izzy

Post by Gwhite »

It sounds like the orange chalk I use would probably be OK. It's just orange and not very "day-glo". Yellow or white works, but the orange tends to stand out a bit better. Again, the point is not to cover the entire blade, just put a small mark that requires TRUE visual focus to discern.
Chia

Post by Chia »

Gwhite wrote:It sounds like the orange chalk I use would probably be OK. It's just orange and not very "day-glo". Yellow or white works, but the orange tends to stand out a bit better. Again, the point is not to cover the entire blade, just put a small mark that requires TRUE visual focus to discern.
I seem to remember something like this from the MEC Pistol Shooting book, but the shooter stated that they focused on the upper left portion of the front sight only before gradually focusing on the entire sight. Does this coloring train the same skill?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The advantage of the chalk is that it is visually easy to tell if it is in focus, and it's easy to change. Focusing on the corner of the sight might be a way to start with the right focus, but I think it would be easy to lose that focus & not tell as clearly as with the chalk mark. You are still trying to focus on the entire front sight (not just the mark), and to keep it aligned with the rear and with the correct sight picture. The chalk mark only provides a "focus" detector. If it isn't sharp, you need to either pull it (and the rest of the sight) into focus, or abort & start over again.

For some shooters, they mentally tune the details of the mark out after a while. They think they see it OK, but they really aren't focused on it anymore, and are remembering it rather than actually seeing it. That's why being able to change it easily is useful.

Depending on one's eyesight, some people find it useful to start with their focus on their rear sight, or even the back of their grip before allowing their focus to move out to the front sight. It helps to "bias" your focus at shorter distances and makes it a little less likely to start looking at the target as quickly. Every one is different, and some shooters still battle with staying focused on the front sight even after decades of shooting.
Xman

Post by Xman »

A tip from my service rifle career ...

For those without a carbide lamp to truly blacken out ANY scuffed, scrapped, pinged, scratched rear or front sight.

Take a 6-7 inch length of 1/2 inch or 1 inch plain ole masking tape, twist it around with the glue side outside so you have a thin cigar shaped figure.

Light one end and it creates a nice even twirl of carbon smoke and pass the lit end about 4 inches below you rear sight and then your front sight. It will coat the sights will a super dull, non reflective coating and will not harm the rear sight mechanism no matter how often you do it. Dont get too close to the flame if the sights have any plastic/rubber parts.

It will brush off as needed with no residue remaining. It does not harden. Just wipe off.

Do at home or outdoors before going into the range as indoor flames might be frowned upon.

Anschutz might still sell a cigarette lighter type carbon producing product. It just has acetylene gas inside. But shipping them is a bear.

I tried pens, some paints and markers too. None matched carbide or the masking tape method.
Rover

Post by Rover »

A small candle works well, too.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

Xman,

I remember you from highpower boards. I meant to ask you if you are the same guy, but you spilled the beans. I don't know if you remember me. My main interest is still service rifle.

Lenny
Irishshooter

Post by Irishshooter »

Rover wrote:A small candle works well, too.
Now your taking me back, back in my military days I used to shoot the 9mm Carl Gustaf SMG, and 9mm Browning auto pistol here in Ireland, and in competitions we would darken the front sights with a candle, we discovered if you got your hands on a blessed candle they did a better job,they had a heavier yellowish wax that gave off more carbon, you could call it Devine Intervention possibly
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

This is Anschutz's gun sight darkener Black Match lighter http://ahg.anschuetz-sport.com/index.ph ... &sprache=1
Ramon