Hammerli 208s Rear Sight Blade

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
CR10X

Hammerli 208s Rear Sight Blade

Post by CR10X »

Does anyone know if there is a replacement rear sight blade for Hammerli 208s (or related variants) that is taller (so as the have a deeper notch)?

I can't really decipher the parts list since there is no guide to what the measurements mean.

Just would like a little more / deeper notch as I get older.

Any help appreciated.

CR
Rover

Re: Hammerli 208s Rear Sight Blade

Post by Rover »

I've posted this before, since many guns have too small/narrow rear sights.

Get yourself a 3/16" chain saw file from the hardware store. They're very cheap, easy to use, and will give you a perfect "Russian" half moon notch. You really can't mess up a sight that's not working for you and the Russians were kicking butt using them.
CR10X

Post by CR10X »

I would do that but (1) I prefer themail square notch and (2) there's not really that much depth remaining on the existing blade before I get to the actual sight assembly. I don't really need wider notch, just deeper.

CR
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

What I do is remove the blade and have a CAD drawing made including any dimension alterations you need. Then take it to a high pressure water jet cutting business and have some made.

The sight dimensions are only limited to your imagination as long as the bottom side remains faithful to the original in order to reconnect with the gun.

In my experience it may seem expensive for the initial program but unless you are prepared to use the chain saw file approach ( which also works well ) there is no factory alternative.

Another file option is to buy a square jewelers file an linish one side smooth. It can be then used to widen or deepen a notch removing metal from only one side at a time by simply placing the linished surface against the side metal is not needed to be removed. The notch can also be made square if you don't want the rounded look.

p.s. a good source of donor metal are circular blades from brush cutters which are made in 1 mm 1.5 mm and 2 mm and have been heat treated and tempered to the correct hardness.
left360

Post by left360 »

I did a search for a taller rear sight blade a few years ago and was unable to find any. I did find a blade that had no notch and gave it to a gunsmith to cut a deeper notch, the width I wanted. I was trying to match the appearance of my Bomar (Kensight) sights at the time.

You can add a little depth to a sight blade with a file, but only so much because of the way it sits in the rear sight and also if you take too much it may weaken the blade to where it would bend when you insert or especially when you remove it.