AP Pistol...grip tape aka skateboard friction tape

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Xman

AP Pistol...grip tape aka skateboard friction tape

Post by Xman »

I just looked at rule 8.4.1.1 in the 2016 USAS and ISSF (USAS website) rules and I did not see any restrictions on grip tape for pistols.

Was I looking in the wrong place?

I thought I read here in the forum that grip tape was not permitted, that only stippling/roughening of the grip was permitted along with any customization that did not exceed the spec dimensions in the rules.

I at one time did have my grip fully encircled with the cloth type electricians tape but sweat still made the grip slippery over time as the stickiness of that tape wore off.

Could I go back to the cloth elections tape and still be ok and just refresh the tape?
v76

Re: AP Pistol...grip tape aka skateboard friction tape

Post by v76 »

I think your hand will most likely protest to skateboard grip tape before the judges do...
Xman

Post by Xman »

v76 wrote:I think your hand will most likely protest to skateboard grip tape before the judges do...

Maybe I was more thinking about the non slip grit tape that you can stick on stairs.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

A lot of the non-slip tape for things like floors & stairs is pretty stiff. Fabric "friction tape" is probably your best bet. The stuff is sold to wrap hockey sticks.
Xman

Post by Xman »

Gwhite wrote:A lot of the non-slip tape for things like floors & stairs is pretty stiff. Fabric "friction tape" is probably your best bet. The stuff is sold to wrap hockey sticks.

Yeah I know about the hockey stick stuff. I may be in TX but I did not always live here..LOL. Western NY..Rochester...RIT

The stair grip material can be cut and shaped to fit the curves of a grip.

Was wondering about the legality of the adding of the friction tape or the stair grip material.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

As long as it fits in the box and doesn't extend back past the break in the wrist, it shouldn't be an issue.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Just be careful which one you choose.
Some of those 'non-skid' are pretty darn rough.
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

I have NOT tried this on my air pistol. I don't see the need. I do have this on my kayak paddles and will tell you that the grip increase is substantial over the course of the day.
http://www.tegsgrip.com
It does not have that abrasive qualities of skateboard tape but does increase grip. It is about 0.1" thick so plan your expectations accordingly.
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

The abrasion shouldn't be that bad, I shot ipsc with grip tape everywhere, you'll quickly build callus to protect. You'll lose sensitivity, though.
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

Xman wrote:
I thought I read here in the forum that grip tape was not permitted, that only stippling/roughening of the grip was permitted along with any customization that did not exceed the spec dimensions in the rules.
You did not read that on THIS forum. It was in the rifle forum where skateboard tape is not legal.
sparky

Post by sparky »

If you're going to go this route, instead of tape, why not just by the grit and some glue/putty and put it on? It should then precisely mold to your grip, better than any tape. I know this is fairly common in the IPSC/USPSA world, though usually done with plastic grips (though not exclusively).
paw080

Post by paw080 »

Xman wrote:I just looked at rule 8.4.1.1 in the 2016 USAS and ISSF (USAS website) rules and I did not see any restrictions on grip tape for pistols.

Was I looking in the wrong place?

I at one time did have my grip fully encircled with the cloth type electricians tape but sweat still made the grip slippery over time as the stickiness of that tape wore off.

Could I go back to the cloth elections tape and still be ok and just refresh the tape?

Hi Xman, Skateboard grip tape is excellent stuff. It will not tear your hand up. I've used it for approximately

30 years, when my then 12 year old twins were heavily involved in Vert skating, pools, half pipes and lots

of sessions at Pipeline Skate park in Ontario California.I put it on several 10 meter match AP's and I still use it

on a Pardini PGP mod75 Free pistol and a Morini CM22 RF. Skate board grip tape is not as thick or heavy a grit

that is found on stairs and walkway grip tape. It also can be found in various colors and patterns.

So all I can say is try it!

Tony
jmdavis

Post by jmdavis »

If you think that skateboard tape is rough, you do not want to try Tiger Tooth Stippling on your 1911 front strap. On the other hand, it does grab you.

Xman

Post by Xman »

[quote="jmdavis"]If you think that skateboard tape is rough, you do not want to try Tiger Tooth Stippling on your 1911 front strap. On the other hand, it does grab you.

Whoa!!..it a shooting event not a self sacrificing blood letting!
jmdavis

Post by jmdavis »

It toughens the callouses and it does not slip.:-) If it does slip you know it. Some people knock down the points with a brass hammer. But it's not bad at all. My Curtis Wadgun has Tiger Tooth stippling. I wish my other 45 target guns did as well.

All of that said you can cut stair tape so that you can pun the grip where you want it. But you need to make sure that you clean off any oil on the surface before placing it.
Coolmeester

Post by Coolmeester »

I have made that on my gear, I like it. I had to superglue the edges so the pieces won't get off. That tape is so thin that those gaps arent even noticeable on hand. The grip isn't sticky at all, but very grainy so it helps a bit if sweating.

My AP looks pretty much the same.
Attachments
IMG_20161231_005623-360x640_crop_288x321.jpg
IMG_20161231_005623-360x640_crop_288x321.jpg (89.24 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
IMG_20161231_005606-360x640_crop_288x288.jpg
IMG_20161231_005606-360x640_crop_288x288.jpg (78.94 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
Center-fire pistol
Standard pistol
Rapid fire pistol
Free pistol
Air pistol