Hand/skin/grip adhesion

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
-TT-

Hand/skin/grip adhesion

Post by -TT- »

It's winter and the air is cold and dry here. I've been having issues keeping a firm grip during sustained fire. The pistol, a Benelli MP90S .22LR, seems to shift slightly under recoil. My stock is the factory Nill walnut oiled and stippled, and I have no issues with hold except when December rolls around.

Lotion helps, if it's not too oily (I'm using an oatmeal-based one by Aveeno with some success). I also put some grip tape on the top surface of the floor plate. But is there an option for more adhesion in a stickier way across the palm and fingers of the hand, that doesn't thicken the grip too much? And/or, is there an adjustment in my grip position I can try?
jglenn

Re: Hand/skin/grip adhesion

Post by jglenn »

powdered rosin
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

-TT- wrote:It's winter and the air is cold and dry here. I've been having issues keeping a firm grip during sustained fire. The pistol, a Benelli MP90S .22LR, seems to shift slightly under recoil. My stock is the factory Nill walnut oiled and stippled, and I have no issues with hold except when December rolls around.

Lotion helps, if it's not too oily (I'm using an oatmeal-based one by Aveeno with some success). I also put some grip tape on the top surface of the floor plate. But is there an option for more adhesion in a stickier way across the palm and fingers of the hand, that doesn't thicken the grip too much? And/or, is there an adjustment in my grip position I can try?
They sell a variety of stuff for athletes, especially to deal with sweaty hands. I forget the exact brand, but the collegiate team I help coach used to use a spray can version back in the 1980's before we had orthopedic grips. It was pretty messy stuff. I shot a High Standard with a well stippled grip, and didn't use it.

The students (all guys initially) used to refer to it as "balls in a can". When the first woman joined the team, she had no problem with that, but one of the other coach's would turn bright red every time she'd go to a match & yell out "OK, who's got the balls in a can?!"
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

I just bought this stuff. It dries quickly and if you apply it sparingly it doesn't make a mess:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/produ ... p+enhander
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Yeah, I considered trying rosin but my hands are bone-dry as it is, and the powder can be a bit of a mess indoors. Was hoping for something actually sticky without being wet or oily. There are some paste-like products, in tubes, for rugby players and the like.

I find that blowing into my cupped hand helps get that "bond" at the initial grip. But it only goes so far.
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

I had good luck with ProGrip, we used it all the time in USPSA. I think it's similar to an odorless antiperspirant.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Huh, hadn't seen ProGrip - this? http://www.brownells.com/shooting-acces ... d7619.aspx

Funny, $9.99, same price as Prince Grip (thanks RandomShotz). These 2 ounce products can't possibly have ten bucks worth of stuff in 'em...
Brian Girling

Post by Brian Girling »

Here in the UK I use a product called 'Grippo' (and no I have not made it up) it is used by bowlers, that is Lawn and Crown Green Bowls not Tenpin although it might be useful there on the finger tips.
It is a paste in a tube I think it is based on rosin. Works for me, both bowling and shooting.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Brian Girling wrote:Here in the UK I use a product called 'Grippo' (and no I have not made it up) it is used by bowlers, that is Lawn and Crown Green Bowls not Tenpin although it might be useful there on the finger tips.
It is a paste in a tube I think it is based on rosin. Works for me, both bowling and shooting.
Ebay.UK shows a bunch of products that look like they're applied to the ball. Do you use it on your hands?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/bowls-grippo

Oh boy, I'm not going to touch GWhite's "balls in a can" comment. Oops, I just did. :-O
Brian Girling

Post by Brian Girling »

That's the stuff. It can be used either way I used to use a small quantity on my hand for shooting pistol (that is when we had them in the UK), and polish my balls when bowling ;-))
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

I was able to find a bottle of Prince Grip at a store near me. It seems to be a rosin-based product suspended in an alcohol-based gel, and it isn't messy. It does sting a bit going on! I applied it to my thumb, palm and lower three fingers and it definitely improves my dry grip, a little. I may try the other suggestions later. Thanks.