Air pistol beaver tail

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Kifsif

Air pistol beaver tail

Post by Kifsif »

Link to rules: http://www.issf-sports.org/documents/ru ... Target.pdf

In the part of the ISSF Technical Rules and applied to all Pistol events.
"""""""""
8.12 PISTOL SPECIFICATION TABLE
10m Air Pistol Grips: No part of the grip, frame or accessories may touch any part of the wrist. The heel rest must extend at an angle of not less than 90 degrees to the grip. This applies to the heel rest in front and behind the grip as well as on the sides. Any upward curvature of the heel and/or thumb rest and/or a downward curvature of the side opposite the thumb is prohibited. The thumb rest must allow free upward movement of the thumb. The grip must not encircle the hand. Curved surfaces on the grips or frame, including the heel and/or thumb rest, in the longitudinal direction of the pistol are permitted.

"""""""""""

I think that beaver tail on the grip can prodrude as long as to the very wrist. And as in longitudinal direction curvature is permitted, it can all the way be in touch with the hand.

During world cup we can see two kinds of grips:
1. Walther-type. It resembles a 25 m pistol grip where the rear part of the grip which rests on top of the hand between the thumb and the forefinger, must not be longer than 30 mm.
2. Morini-type. Longer beaver tail.

Could you help me understand what are the advantages of the two types of grips. And why no manufacturer constructs a grip with beaver tail up to the wrist?
Gwhite

Re: Air pistol beaver tail

Post by Gwhite »

For one thing, it's not a critical point of support. The weight of the pistol is primarily downward on the top of the 2nd finger, and upward at the heel of the hand. The "beaver tail" want to rotate upward, AWAY from the hand. As the heel of the hand compresses under the weight of the pistol, the pressure under the beaver tail decreases, often leaving a gap. If you make it so it fits tightly with the hand relaxed and not supporting the pistol, it won't apply nearly the same pressure when you hold up the pistol. If you make it so it's tight when holding the pistol normally, I bet it will be close to painful to get your hand into the grip.

Almost ANY other point on the grip is more critical. A lot of the large beaver tails are there to provide a bit of protection for the rear sight, so it can't get banged around easily. Nothing more.
hundert

Re: Air pistol beaver tail

Post by hundert »

it's not about the advantage, it's about preference, with what you call the walther type grip your hand is a lot more forward hence you can't really have the beaver tail bothering you. With a grip like the Morini air pistol, your hand is rotated up by a lot more.

On the left the hand is rotated down a lot, the beaver tail is almost horizontal, on the right the pictures show the same athlete with a different pistol/grip, the hand is rotated up more. I prefer the one on the right, because I get elbow problems when I shoot like on the left.
Attachments
GripBeaverTail.jpg