Changing cylinders during a match...

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
DFWdude

Changing cylinders during a match...

Post by DFWdude »

The rule says:
"6.11.2.3 If an athlete wishes to change, or to fill, a gas or air cylinder, he must leave the firing point to do so, after obtaining permission from the Range Officer. No extra time is allowed to change or fill a gas or air cylinder during a competition."

All understood. However, what is the accepted procedure for leaving the firing point? Get permission first, no problem. But, do I have to rebox the pistol, or carry it open muzzle up or down? And is there some designated area (in the range or off) where I can make the change without distracting other shooters? Anything else to consider?
rmca

Re: Changing cylinders during a match...

Post by rmca »

Open the bolt and insert the safety flag until it shows on both sides of the barrel. Leave the gun on the table pointing forwards.
Raise your arm and wait for the referee to come to you. Don´t disturb the other shooters.
Tell him or her that you need to change cylinders.
Do as him or her instructs.

Hope this helps
Rover

Post by Rover »

You don't need to mess with the pistol at all; just the empty cylinder. If you're fortunate (as if you're shooting at the Desert Midwinter) just go to the office and refill. Nobody cares.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

And, as is fairly common, Rover gives an answer which is nothing to do with the original question.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Of course, I could not have been more plain or direct.
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

Rover wrote:Of course, I could not have been more plain or direct.
Rover, if only you had paid any attention to this thread... http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=54122 .... you would know the genesis of this one. But of course you did, as you posted an equally useless comment there as well... Something like, "It's obviously time for a total rebuild of your gun including a new regulator. Ya shoulda bought a pumper." How useful...

We're discussing how to remove the cylinder while not breaking a rule.

I realize you have so many threads needing your attention. Maybe you can slow down when you reach 5,000 posts. Meantime, if you insist on being the forum PW, please try to keep up by reading enough to comprehend before posting.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Rover wrote:Of course, I could not have been more plain or direct.
...but nothing to do with the original question which was about the correct procedure under ISSF rules.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

rmca wrote:Open the bolt and insert the safety flag until it shows on both sides of the barrel. Leave the gun on the table pointing forwards.
Raise your arm and wait for the referee to come to you. Don´t disturb the other shooters.
Tell him or her that you need to change cylinders.
Do as him or her instructs.

Hope this helps
Pretty much nails it.
The Range Officer (not referee):
  • - will check that the pistol is safe and may well require that it be boxed.
    - tell you where the firearm is to be taken to change / re-charge.
    - check you back into your firing point
Rover wrote:You don't need to mess with the pistol at all; just the empty cylinder...
Rover misses the reason that the rule was introduced; i.e. to stop shooters from unscrewing cylinders and reattaching cylinders (with an attendant 'whoosh') on the line. There were competitors who did so just as another competitor was about to fire a shot...
Rover

Post by Rover »

I'll buy your reasoning, but what about the guy blowing the vuvuzela behind his head?
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

most of our shooters are between 60 and 80 and flatulence has a similar unnerving effect.