Steyr LP10 grip: 97mm on a medium?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Houngan

Steyr LP10 grip: 97mm on a medium?

Post by Houngan »

As best I can measure, my hand is ~97mm from just below the knuckles across. Up to 100mm if I forcibly extend my fingers, maybe down to 95 if I relax my hand.

There's a lefty LP10 up for sale with Mediums, am I asking for trouble if I buy it and try to use the grips? I've always figured in new grips to the price of a big boy gun, but it would be nice to save the $$.

Thanks.
deadeyedick

Re: Steyr LP10 grip: 97mm on a medium?

Post by deadeyedick »

It would probably work. You may have to elongate the holes to allow the palmshelf to move down a little further but that sure beats the cost of a new large grip.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

I am also 97mm across the knuckles.
My LP1 came with a large grip.
Shot it for a couple years but went to an Xtra large grip.
Bought it from our host, Pilkington.
The grips they have are Morini and only cost $250.
Not much money for a grip that fits.
You could sell the original one if it does not fit and offset the cost.

Just my .02 cents

Good luck and enjoy the pistol.

Clarence
D.R. badge #99
hundert

Post by hundert »

careful, LP1 grips are sized correctly, M is an M, while LP10's are not. LP1 grips are much thinner.

I have 90mm hand and the M is way to big and I mean waaaay too big, the bulgy area that goes into the middle of your hand is way down there and I can't even adjust palm shelf to fit the hand. I've had all kinds of LP10 grips and they're definitely all one size too big. There is a 1st generation of LP10 grips which are fine too.

The palm shelf is not as important as the actual grip, the thickness and the bulgy area must fit, the palm shelf can be fed with water soluble paste which can be removed without leaving a trace.

Also, if you have long fingers then the M might be too thin for you, so you'll have to get the L work your way out from there.

Also, every grip is unique, they look the same, but one is a bit longer, the other a bit thinner, on a third the palm shelf could go up more by a lot, the wood finish is different and the surface feels different. I am talking about the grip of the same size on the same model.
Chia

Post by Chia »

Houngan wrote:As best I can measure, my hand is ~97mm from just below the knuckles across. Up to 100mm if I forcibly extend my fingers, maybe down to 95 if I relax my hand.

There's a lefty LP10 up for sale with Mediums, am I asking for trouble if I buy it and try to use the grips? I've always figured in new grips to the price of a big boy gun, but it would be nice to save the $$.

Thanks.
Measure your fingers as well. I have HUGE hands. My hand technically fits into the Steyr evo 10 large, but my fingers are so long that it affects my technique. If your fingers are longer than (or approaching) the length Steyr tells you to measure, you may need a thicker grip, period.

A wiser person than me suggested Rink thick grips in this type of situation. When I get the $$$ I plan to replace the factory grip (I LOVE the back, but the front is just too close), but for now, I make do and adjust.