Steyr tools

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Chia

Steyr tools

Post by Chia »

Question. What is the name of the steyr evo 10 tool that you use to adjust the rear sight part 38? http://www.steyr-sport.com/en/downloads ... -10-1/file

I can't find the darn allen wrench and I'm pretty sure it's not coming back. It's the smallest one in the set.
SamEEE

Re: Steyr tools

Post by SamEEE »

Probably 1.5mm, that's the smallest in the kit.
Image Image
Chia

Post by Chia »

Much appreciated.
Brian Girling

Post by Brian Girling »

Part 38 in the diagram is a "slotted cheese head screw" so an allen wrench would be no good. I have no experience of the Evo other than looking at the file you indicated so I could be wrong.
left360

Post by left360 »

"slotted cheese head screw"

Is that like a Torx head?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

left360 wrote:"slotted cheese head screw"

No, it's a circular head with straight parallel sides, with a single slot for a flat screwdriver.
Chia

Post by Chia »

David Levene wrote:

No, it's a circular head with straight parallel sides, with a single slot for a flat screwdriver.
What's funny is those two screws definitely have hexagonal nut slots, not a flat screwdriver slot. So I'm not sure why they're called a slotted cheese head screw, but hey, as long as I can adjust it, that's what matters. I'll leave the engineering to the experts.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

I have no idea what a "slotted cheese head screw" is and I don't think I want to. Does it differ from the "phillips cheese head screw"?

I have found that German companies will spend millions of $ to engineer a firearm that will put one round on top of the last one all day long. But when it comes to translating anything into English they pay a middle school 16 year old $0.50 an hour to turn technical German into bad English.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

Holy Crap!

Ok i just googled "cheese head screw" and got 350,000 hits. Its a screw with a cylindrical head shaped like a round of cheese.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

that is a hex socket cheese head IMO. They are quite rare (try to find them on Ebay) because the hex socket is either shallow or narrow and cant take a heavy torque without the allen key chewing up the socket.
Double up the head depth and it becomes a hex socket cap head screw.
Chia

Post by Chia »

gwsb wrote:I have no idea what a "slotted cheese head screw" is and I don't think I want to. Does it differ from the "phillips cheese head screw"?

I have found that German companies will spend millions of $ to engineer a firearm that will put one round on top of the last one all day long. But when it comes to translating anything into English they pay a middle school 16 year old $0.50 an hour to turn technical German into bad English.
Truth. The Steyr manual is absolutely horrible. It doesn't even tell you which tools to use on which adjustments, just leaving that to you. The description of the ways of modifying the rear sights is awful. I had to do a fair bit of practice (and I still slip from time to time) with the whole windage/height adjustments thing. It took some time for my feeble American mind to understand just what the hell was going on. Normally when something says "right" on it here, it means "gun points to the right...." not "okay, you hit to the right so twist the screw this way to fix that"

Anyways, dead horse beaten.

I'm not going to ask what your 350,000 hits for "cheese head screw" contained...but I'm going to hazard a guess that not all of it was work safe.

Different strokes, I guess....
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Chia wrote:The Steyr manual is absolutely horrible.
Technical manuals are my profession. The crappy quality of documentation on a whole host of expensive equipment really bothers me.

And foreign suppliers so often have an "anyone can write English" attitude.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
Chia

Post by Chia »

SlartyBartFast wrote:Technical manuals are my profession. The crappy quality of documentation on a whole host of expensive equipment really bothers me.

And foreign suppliers so often have an "anyone can write English" attitude.
In a mysterious coincidence, those same crappy technical manuals on expensive products are also involved in my profession. The proper term is "failure to warn," I think, and it makes the manufacturer liable for failing to disclose harmful issues in the provided documentation. It's not my area of law, but that's my rough understanding of it.

So yeah. Anyone can write English. Doesn't mean that they should.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

I think England should start charging the rest of the world royalties for using English.
Chia

Post by Chia »

TenMetrePeter wrote:I think England should start charging the rest of the world royalties for using English.
Oh boy. You just had to go there! If I had time I'd give you a diatribe on British English versus American English but I don't. Consider yourself lucky! :)
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

TenMetrePeter wrote:I think England should start charging the rest of the world royalties for using English.
Or a fine for every misuse - would solve the UK financial situation.
They could start in Glasgow and work out from there.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Spencer wrote:They could start in Glasgow and work out from there.
Or in Somerset, where there is a lovely local habit of asking "where've you been to?", which is answered by "I been town". In my experience very few people have an accurate understanding of English grammar. In this thread we have already had several sentences that do not contain a main verb.

It's what you get from creating a language from the dialects spoken by various Germanic and Scandinavian pirates. Lingua Latina vera lingua est.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

English? Ya'll speak English over there?

I once shot next to a Scotsman at Bisley for a week and never understood a word he said, but it was in theory "English"

Makes me want to get a spanner from the boot and hit somebody in the head.
nick marshall

Post by nick marshall »

David Levene wrote:

They are slotted on the LP10.

On the EVO 10 it's either an Allen head or torq.
Don't have my EVO to hand to check.
nick marshall

Post by nick marshall »

I now have an EVO 10 in front of me. As well as my LP10.
The screws have been changed from the LP10.

They are now Allen screws.
The correct Allen key is not included in the Steyr tool kit.

It's a 1.27 metric.