laser pistol for modern pentathlon

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
traderob

laser pistol for modern pentathlon

Post by traderob »

I am probably going to buy a pentashot laser pistol with SII target system.
any issues with reliability?
Also any hints about transporting these via airlines?
hundert

Re: laser pistol for modern pentathlon

Post by hundert »

I felt bad you didn't get a response ^^ I don't have an answer, but I swear to God I saw them holding your regular 10M pistols with the laser instead of the barrel. I saw the Olympics final (Russian won I believe, Ukraine 2nd iirc)
traderob

Post by traderob »

thanks for the reply!
Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown »

traderob wrote:I am probably going to buy a pentashot laser pistol with SII target system.
any issues with reliability?
Also any hints about transporting these via airlines?
Hi,
I coach youth pentathletes in the UK and have some experience with laser pistols.
Certain airlines eg RYANAIR will not allow a pure laser only pistol anywhere on their aircraft, even in the hold luggage. Any air pistol with a laser attachment may be considered still to be an air pistol by other airlines if the pellet barrel is still contained within the pistol case. Thus the pistol would need to be declared as such.
In today's political climate, any object appearing to look like a pistol, including a dedicated laser pistol, might arouse attention as hold luggage is scanned. So best check beforehand with the airline.
I have heard it suggested that separating the grip from the pure laser pistol will obviate this risk but I would not risk it.

You do not state which Pentashot pistol you are about to purchase so I cannot advise. As for the target, I have experience with the Pentashot S-Box 2 and find it reliable and very useful. It is a delicate instrument and will not stand being dropped too often before the internal sensors need to be re-calibrated!

I hope this helps
traderob

Post by traderob »

that is excellent help indeed!

glad to hear the SII is reliable !

i plan to buy the F15 pentashot when it comes out next month

I will probably go ahead and order..the sii also.

and thanks for the points about airlines
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

Sheesh! Laser pistols? Really?

Do they swim in dry pools and ride hobby horses? Run on treadmills? Maybe fence with foam rubber foils, too.

Maybe synchronized pentathlon. They could wave ribbons behind them. I see that's done in some other of the new age events.
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Sheesh! Laser pistols? Really?

Do they swim in dry pools and ride hobby horses? Run on treadmills? Maybe fence with foam rubber foils, too.

Maybe synchronized pentathlon. They could wave ribbons behind them. I see that's done in some other of the new age events.

Personally I find the technology exciting and will have little trouble moving to Laser if it happens before I am too old.
traderob

Post by traderob »

lol.
it does make practising at home easy..and no locense needed.

anyone else have any comments on transportation.
i spoke with an athlete who breaks it down. and puts the barrel in a box labelled fragile laser( no mention of pistol).
he said he has had no problems with the airlines so far..
traderob

Post by traderob »

On transportation internationally I was wondering if getting it sent ahead by fedex or dhl would be viable?

I have to discuss with pentashot how they send it to me as there is no dealer in my country..
traderob

Post by traderob »

Hi all
so the pistol arrived - FLP15 from pentashot.eu.
with the SBOXII
both of these are approved for world competitions by UIPM .
have tried it out and the results are excellent. Exactly like a top level airpistol but the targetting system is state of the art. Easy to use and records every hit.
I attach some pics.
traderob

Post by traderob »

hmm had a problem uploading pics. will try later
Olympic Dreamer

Post by Olympic Dreamer »

traderob wrote:hmm had a problem uploading pics. will try later
Pics?
j-team

Post by j-team »

deadeyedick wrote:
Personally I find the technology exciting and will have little trouble moving to Laser if it happens before I am too old.
Good luck with that, I suspect you will be quite lonely on the range at the laser pistol championships.

If ISSF goes laser, I think that it will just accelerate the already steady migration of participants away for the Olympic shooting events to the non Olympic styles of shooting.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

j-team wrote:Good luck with that, I suspect you will be quite lonely on the range at the laser pistol championships.

If ISSF goes laser, I think that it will just accelerate the already steady migration of participants away for the Olympic shooting events to the non Olympic styles of shooting.
In the US perhaps. In the rest of the world it might make the sport more approachable and attract more competitors.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

In the US perhaps. In the rest of the world it might make the sport more approachable and attract more competitors.
These are my feelings also StartyBartFast. It may also attract people to shooting that dislike the idea of live fire firearms.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

deadeyedick wrote:
These are my feelings also StartyBartFast. It may also attract people to shooting that dislike the idea of live fire firearms.
That isnt Shooting though. As strange as vegetarians eating quorn made to look and taste like steak. wtf?
xtreme

Post by xtreme »

In Australia imitation weapons are on the prohibited list.
If it even looks like a pistol it would need the same rego and licencing as a regular pistol.
May all your shots be "10's"
traderob

Post by traderob »

xtreme wrote:In Australia imitation weapons are on the prohibited list.
If it even looks like a pistol it would need the same rego and licencing as a regular pistol.
It is shocking to hear of this babification of a once proud country..

I am still trying to find a way to reduce the image size so I can upload the photos..
rmca

Post by rmca »

traderob wrote:I am still trying to find a way to reduce the image size so I can upload the photos..
Have a look at this:

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38692

Hope this helps
traderob

Post by traderob »

yes, that was helpful!