Adjustable focus glasses - for shooting

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Leon

Adjustable focus glasses - for shooting

Post by Leon »

Like a lot of shooters on this forum, I need glasses with a mild + lens to bring the front sight sharply into focus.

What I struggle with, is - what works one day, does not the next - no doubt due to eye tiredness, ambient lighting, and I'm sure a whole host of other factors.

I came across these - new technology take on adjustable focus glasses, but at a reasonable price.

Those of you who remember the Superfocus glasses, will also remember the high price and the "Harry Potter" look of these - which no doubt contributed to their demise.

These are designed and made in the UK, which should mean decent quality.

They don't handle astigmatism but, interestingly, my astigmatism seems to have disappeared.

So, on behalf of all of you, I am "taking one for the team" and have ordered a pair.

I will post a review once I receive them.

Website = https://www.eyejusters.com/

Note: I have no affiliation or interests in this company.
Gwhite

Re: Adjustable focus glasses - for shooting

Post by Gwhite »

Before you get too excited, you might want to read this thread:

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... 0&p=224573

At least with the "Adlens" brand glasses, the focus really works best if you are looking straight ahead. If you look at much of an angle, they distort things and don't work very well. Typical pistol shooting is rarely done with a head position that is exactly straight ahead.

One of the selling points of "real" shooting glasses is that you can adjust the lens position & angle to work well with just about any head position.
Leon

Post by Leon »

One of the selling points of "real" shooting glasses is that you can adjust the lens position & angle to work well with just about any head position.

That is true.

In my own circumstances, although I have 2 x pairs of Knoblochs and a Varga Pistol 3000, what works best for me is a $9.95 pair of +1.50 pair of reading glasses bought at a newsagent.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

In my own circumstances, although I have 2 x pairs of Knoblochs and a Varga Pistol 3000, what works best for me is a $9.95 pair of +1.50 pair of reading glasses bought at a newsagent.
Welcome to the Club Leon. ( except I buy the same ones at a $2 shop for just that. )

They look promising. Look forward to your review.
Rover

Post by Rover »

deadeyedick wrote:
Welcome to the Club Leon. ( except I buy the same ones at a $2 shop for just that. )

They look promising. Look forward to your review.
That's an excellent idea. You can buy three with +.25 difference and pick what works best on a given day. Put a piece of matte cellophane tape across the inside of the lens of your non-shooting eye. You can then shoot with both eyes open. These glasses will also provide protection when the one-day-out-of-date cylinder on your AP detonates.

The only problem is that they will not correct astigmatism (is your red dot round?).
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

My beef with those lens would be no nose bridge elevation adjustment. Can't adjust lens up and down at all.
Leon

Post by Leon »

Eyejusters also have a 30 money back guarantee - so it's a no risk purchase if they don't work out...
Misny

Post by Misny »

Last Saturday, a shooting buddy was using his "Superfocus" glasses, yes the very expensive, "Harry Potter" ones. He's owned his for a couple of years. I asked him about them and he said that they work great, but that the company had gone out of business. He was shooting an air pistol match. I do wonder about the eye protection factor that any of these might have for shooting.
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

Misny wrote:Last Saturday, a shooting buddy was using his "Superfocus" glasses, yes the very expensive, "Harry Potter" ones. He's owned his for a couple of years. I asked him about them and he said that they work great, but that the company had gone out of business. He was shooting an air pistol match. I do wonder about the eye protection factor that any of these might have for shooting.
I have the Superfocus glasses and I don't worry about the eye protection. There are two lenses over each eye and even if they bear no sort of impact rating, they're a lot better than nothing.

The thing about the Superfocus that makes my pair so precious to me is that I'm diabetic. My eyesight, like that of any diabetic, can vary by a full diopter under stress with changes in blood sugar levels. Infinite adjustability of focus means I can always take a moment, stare at my front sight while moving the focus adjustment, and bring it into perfect adjustment. I can repeat that achievement of perfect adjustment a dozen times a day if need be, all without fussing with the trial and error of replacement lenses that will, at best, be close to the right prescription but, barring an unlikely dose of luck, will never be perfect.

Superfocus solved all those problems. I was really bummed when I heard they went out of business.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

The Variolens has that technology, but specifically for shooting.
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

Mike M. wrote:The Variolens has that technology, but specifically for shooting.
Thanks for that info. I knew nothing about the Variolens. It's good to know that if my eyes ever deteriorate outside the range for which they can be corrected by my Superfocus glasses, there is an alternative.

Seriously, though, even though the Variolens was designed for shooting, I would have never chosen it over Superfocus even if I had known about it. Variolens relies on pumping fluid between two membranes to change their curvature, an inherently more complex approach, the durability of which I would need to see proved. They must also be compounded with an additional lens for shooters with astigmatism, making for one bulky mechanism hanging off the front of the face.

The Superfocus technology was much simpler, simply splitting each lens into a front and back half. Then a mechanical slider adjusts the distance between the two lenses. You could get multiple front halves of any color; I swap out my clear lenses for dark sunglasses with some frequency. Any astigmatism correction needed is built right into the lens. If you want an adjustable iris in front of them, there are a couple of solutions for that problem on the market, too. They're almost as durable and easy to clean as any "normal" glasses, the process only being complicated by the need to clean 8 lens surfaces instead of just 4.

Superfocus glasses were expensive but completely worth the money. I raved about them in shooting forums more than once as being utterly wonderful for pistol shooters. I even wrote and talked to the company on multiple occasions imploring them to target their advertising to shooters.

All of that effort was for naught, apparently.

Now, if somebody would just come up with the Superfocus mechanism in lenses to fit my Knoblochs, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.