Tokyo 2020: ISSF Ad-Hoc Committee releases Shooting program

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Olympic Dreamer

Re: Tokyo 2020: ISSF Ad-Hoc Committee releases Shooting prog

Post by Olympic Dreamer »

renzo wrote:
Olympic Dreamer wrote:Tokyo 2020: ISSF Ad-Hoc Committee releases Shooting program recommendations: http://www.issf-sports.org/news.ashx?newsid=2713
Bindra: “look at the bigger picture, to ensure our strong presence within the Olympic movement”: http://www.issf-sports.org/news.ashx?newsid=2714

It's not yet confirmed but that was their recommendations.

"The Council will make a final decision on the recommendations that the ISSF must submit to the IOC by the end of February 2017. The IOC will make a final decision on the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Program in mid-2017."

We have to fight with all our might against their recommendation before final decision is made!
I mean no disrespect, but you´re obviously a dreamer.

The decision is already made, that´s the meaning of Mr. Bindra´s letter (see Shooters Lounge).

It always has been like this, they let it slip as a rumour or a mere "possibility" just for the shooting universe to get accostumed, then the blow comes............

Don´t you remember the gossip about the finals not carrying the quali scores after London 2012? And the letter by Niccolo Campriani? Thousands of us signed it, but by the time they let us "sniff" what was being cooked, the meal was already served.

Sincerely, I´ve read the letter by the owner of Morini Arms and frankly I don´t know how much money has put Mr. Vazquez Raña from his own pocket, nor do care about it.

What I do know is that after almost 40 years ruling ANYTHING, you tend to consider yourself unable to err, and also become very strongheaded. Nobody, in any organization, enterprise, party or country should remain at the helm for so long, not even half that long.

What we are seeing is a old fatherly figure who thinks he knows what´s best for all of us, and acts accordingly. Representation in the ISSF is nonexistent, for candidates must be subservient in the first place just to get into the organization.
Well actually you can say that I'm a dreamer but tbh that's because I'm ignorant about ISSF, it's culture, insider news, it's behaviors, norms, etc etc as this sport in my country is probably smaller than your house. I just shoot I don't really follow news so... Hope you understand why I thought there was still hope.

Well to the best of my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong) for the past 40 years there was little to no change under the helm of the same person but why only such a huge, sudden change for this past 4 years (quali scores not brought to finals, finals format change and then now classics removed)?
renzo

Post by renzo »

Olympic Dreamer wrote:
Well to the best of my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong) for the past 40 years there was little to no change under the helm of the same person but why only such a huge, sudden change for this past 4 years (quali scores not brought to finals, finals format change and then now classics removed)?
Maybe it´s only my opinion and that of most of the shooters I cared to talk about, but you´re forgetting the introduction of the Olympic Finals (1986- Wch Suhl), the reduction of time limits for Olympic events and change of target size for the same events (as of 01/1989), World Cup matches only for those same events, dissapearance of all other pistol events and RT during the 90´s at Continental Games, abrupt outlawing of .22 short pistols for RFP in 2005 ........... that´s a lot of changes if you ask me, and all of them were made out of political correctness (the old target for duel went for that reason), the change of the name of the organization (from UIT to ISSF) and directly or indirectly to comply with the pressures of the IOC, which is being desperately trying to accomodate TV sponsors, who are those that ultimately decide, even if they never appear in the spotlight.

My bet? In a few years all cartridge events will go, except maybe shotgun. I´m happy I won´t have to shoot in the brave new world granddaddy Olegario is preparing for us, and I´ll be proud to tell youngsters - down the years - that I saw Jin win the two gold medals at London, a feat I always thought impossible to achieve, and that I´m happy for Melentiev, who´ll never have his OR beaten..................................................
Olympic Dreamer

Post by Olympic Dreamer »

renzo wrote:
Olympic Dreamer wrote:
Maybe it´s only my opinion and that of most of the shooters I cared to talk about, but you´re forgetting the introduction of the Olympic Finals (1986- Wch Suhl), the reduction of time limits for Olympic events and change of target size for the same events (as of 01/1989), World Cup matches only for those same events, dissapearance of all other pistol events and RT during the 90´s at Continental Games, abrupt outlawing of .22 short pistols for RFP in 2005 ........... that´s a lot of changes if you ask me, and all of them were made out of political correctness (the old target for duel went for that reason), the change of the name of the organization (from UIT to ISSF) and directly or indirectly to comply with the pressures of the IOC, which is being desperately trying to accomodate TV sponsors, who are those that ultimately decide, even if they never appear in the spotlight.

My bet? In a few years all cartridge events will go, except maybe shotgun. I´m happy I won´t have to shoot in the brave new world granddaddy Olegario is preparing for us, and I´ll be proud to tell youngsters - down the years - that I saw Jin win the two gold medals at London, a feat I always thought impossible to achieve, and that I´m happy for Melentiev, who´ll never have his OR beaten..................................................
Thank you for your correction. With regards to laser shooting, if I didn't remember wrongly, I did saw somewhere ISSF did have the intention to introduce or worse change to laser shooting but they also recognize the resistance it'll meet. That's really sad.... Damm especially for small country like mine where they'll almost certainly eliminate non-Olympic events for shooting.....
ghillieman

Post by ghillieman »

ChipEck wrote: What we know is that Mr. Gary L. Anderson (gary.anderson@issf-sports.org) and Mrs. Susan B. Abbott (usaabbott@yahoo.com) wants to keep 25m Rapid Fire Men because:
"....The 25m RFP event now provides one of Shooting’s most interesting Finals and since this event is tied to the continuation of the 25m Pistol Women event, its elimination could be dangerous for all 25m pistol shooting....."

If you really want to keep 25m pistol shooting you can propose to have the 25m range build in the 50m range. This will save money at IOC and they will for sure like it.

"
I agree, the integrated ranges would be very simple to build. Cardinal Shooting Center is doing it right now with their new bullseye pistol ranges. They have 50 yard, 50 meter, 25 yard, and 25 meter. A range could also be built with a building similar to the air gun range at Camp Perry. With bleachers in the middle, 10M on one side, and bays that open to the outdoor range on the other side (25M & 50M).
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Olympic Dreamer wrote: Thank you for your correction. With regards to laser shooting, if I didn't remember wrongly, I did saw somewhere ISSF did have the intention to introduce or worse change to laser shooting but they also recognize the resistance it'll meet. .
Not quite. The IOC is pushing the laser toys...ISSF was pushing against them. I think people are scapegoating ISSF leadership for IOC decisions.
Chia

Post by Chia »

Mike M. wrote:Not quite. The IOC is pushing the laser toys...ISSF was pushing against them. I think people are scapegoating ISSF leadership for IOC decisions.
Agreed.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

ghillieman wrote:I agree, the integrated ranges would be very simple to build. Cardinal Shooting Center is doing it right now with their new bullseye pistol ranges. They have 50 yard, 50 meter, 25 yard, and 25 meter. A range could also be built with a building similar to the air gun range at Camp Perry. With bleachers in the middle, 10M on one side, and bays that open to the outdoor range on the other side (25M & 50M).
The Toronto PanAm games shooting facility handles 10M airpistol, 25M and 50M.
http://www.canadian-architects.com/en/p ... ting_Range
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
renzo

Post by renzo »

SlartyBartFast wrote:
ghillieman wrote:I agree, the integrated ranges would be very simple to build. Cardinal Shooting Center is doing it right now with their new bullseye pistol ranges. They have 50 yard, 50 meter, 25 yard, and 25 meter. A range could also be built with a building similar to the air gun range at Camp Perry. With bleachers in the middle, 10M on one side, and bays that open to the outdoor range on the other side (25M & 50M).
The Toronto PanAm games shooting facility handles 10M airpistol, 25M and 50M.
http://www.canadian-architects.com/en/p ... ting_Range
Yes, but remember that since the Mar de Plata 1995, only Olympic events have been disputed at PAG's............................... it´s the same catch-22 as the WC's!!