Steyr LP10 - tank bleed question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
DustyJ

Steyr LP10 - tank bleed question

Post by DustyJ »

I have a new Steyr LP10. When filling it with the Hill hand pump when I finish the fill an open the bleeder to release the line pressure the whole tank bleeds out !!!! This does not happen with the Morini or the FWB tanks. Is there something wrong with the Steyr or am I doing something wrong. I can remove it from the pump line by unscrewing it .... fast ... without loosing too much air. Am I doing something wrong here? Does anyone else have any experience with this? Thanks for any input you may have.
Happy Trails,
Dusty Johnson
C. Perkins

Re: Steyr LP10 - tank bleed question

Post by C. Perkins »

Both of my Steyr cylinders are the same way.
Just figured that is the way it is.
No issues.
Just spin them off quickly.
Lube your threads.

Clarence
D.R. badge #99
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The Steyr cylinder valves work differently from the Morini & others. The fill adapter opens the valve by pressing on the pin. That is why they don't provide a separate bleed adapter.

Rather than rushing things, you only need to unscrew the Steyr about 1 turn (probably less, I forget exactly), and THEN open the bleed valve. That allows the cylinder valve to close so you don't loose any air from the cylinder.

You can buy a fill adapter with a clearance hole drilled in the nose so that it works more like a Morini cylinder. You could also modify your own:

Depending on the valve spring, you probably get a little less air pressure into the cylinder this way, and if you ever have to fly with your cylinders, you would require a way to bleed them.
DustyJ

Post by DustyJ »

Gwhite wrote:The Steyr cylinder valves work differently from the Morini & others. The fill adapter opens the valve by pressing on the pin. That is why they don't provide a separate bleed adapter.

Rather than rushing things, you only need to unscrew the Steyr about 1 turn (probably less, I forget exactly), and THEN open the bleed valve. That allows the cylinder valve to close so you don't loose any air from the cylinder.

You can buy a fill adapter with a clearance hole drilled in the nose so that it works more like a Morini cylinder. You could also modify your own:

Depending on the valve spring, you probably get a little less air pressure into the cylinder this way, and if you ever have to fly with your cylinders, you would require a way to bleed them.
Happy Trails,
Dusty Johnson