LP10 Sight question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
paulmcallister

LP10 Sight question

Post by paulmcallister »

Hi,

I have a new (to me) LP 10. It is shooting high and I have run out of adjustment on the rear sight. Has anyone had experience with how to deal with this?

Thanks, Paul
RyanA

Re: LP10 Sight question

Post by RyanA »

You should be turning the knob towards the letter H on the sight. Are you sure you're going the right way?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

paulmcallister wrote:Hi,

I have a new (to me) LP 10. It is shooting high and I have run out of adjustment on the rear sight. Has anyone had experience with how to deal with this?

Thanks, Paul
Check that it isn't bottoming out on the grip, especially if it isn't a factory grip. You may just have to remove a little wood.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

Thanks, Paul
I second the suggestion to check the grip... On my EVO-10 I too ran out of adjustment but then noticed that the bottom of the rear sight was right up snug with the top of the wood grip, meaning that any further adjustment just wasn't happening. I didn't have to remove any wood, but did have to turn the adjusting screws under the grip to cant the back of the grip downwards a bit. No further problem after doing that.
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Chia

Post by Chia »

Agree with the above. You also might want to check how you are holding the grip. I found that changing that affects a lot. Definitely double check which way you need to adjust. Bottoming out is normally a user rather than a gun issue.
Brian Girling

Post by Brian Girling »

Mtl_Biker wrote:

I didn't have to remove any wood, but did have to turn the adjusting screws under the grip to cant the back of the grip downwards a bit. No further problem after doing that.
If your grip fits then altering the angle is NOT a good idea, remove wood instead and keep your grip constant.

"Two wrongs do not make a right." Henry VIII
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

Brian Girling wrote:
Mtl_Biker wrote:

I didn't have to remove any wood, but did have to turn the adjusting screws under the grip to cant the back of the grip downwards a bit. No further problem after doing that.
If your grip fits then altering the angle is NOT a good idea, remove wood instead and keep your grip constant.

"Two wrongs do not make a right." Henry VIII
Just to clarify... we are NOT talking about doing anything that changes the grip itself. Once the grip fits, it fits and don't change it. What we're talking about is simply changing the adjusting screws at the bottom of the action itself (not anything on the grip itself) so that a fuller range of adjustment of the rear sight elevation is possible. Those adjusting screws can change the lateral position of the grip to the gun action, the angle to it, as well as the cant/tilt. A superb range of adjustment is available and when I got my EVO-10 and ran into this problem I was told by two Steyr experts that this was indeed required and common.
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
paulmcallister

Post by paulmcallister »

Hello everyone, thank you for replies.

I did check the clearance between the base of the sight and the top of the grip and it initially looked like it was touching but further examination revealed that it was not. I am turning the adjustment the correct direction and when I took the grip off it was quite obvious that it had run out of adjustment.

I am currently hitting about 5mm too high if I hold the sight picture at the bottom of the black. Any additional suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks, Paul
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Two options:

1) Use a sub-six ("area") hold. (You'll shoot better)

2) Shim the front sight. 0.15mm thick should get you spot on, but you should have a little margin. A beer can is usually around 0.1mm thick, so two layers would do it.
Chia

Post by Chia »

Second the sub six hold. Make how low you aim symmetrical with the distances between the front and rear sights. Then use windage and elevation adjustments to place that shot on the 10 circle. That'll give you improved consistency.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Like this:

paulmcallister

Post by paulmcallister »

This sight picture is close to what I'm getting now, perhaps a little deeper. I'll try a shim and back down to the same as the photo.

I'm loving the LP 10 by the way. I used to shoot ISSF 30 years ago with an FWB 65 air pistol, Walther OSP rapid fire, Hammerli .22 and a S&W K38. I live in the US now and I have just picked up shooting again after a long break. I couldn't find any ISSF around here so I started NRA Bullseye. I sure wish I still had the Hammerli, oh well.

I bought the LP 10 to practice for my .22 slow fire. I pretty much shoot the same sucky scores with it as I do in .22 Bullseye, nudging the 90's and occasionally interspersed with rare moments of brilliance.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Paul
ihasagun

Post by ihasagun »

I just had this same issue with my new to me lp10. Turned out when the seller put the original grip on it, he did not remember to include the plastic riser inside the grip. He is overnighting it to me. Without that riser, and with the rear sight in the forward position, the grip blocks the downward adjustment of the rear sight. Also, you can't adjust the trigger all the way back. The plastic riser can be seen in a video on this page. Scroll down and click lp10 and then show more at the bottom and watch the grip video.

http://steyr-sport.com/en/service-movies
Chia

Post by Chia »

ihasagun wrote:I just had this same issue with my new to me lp10. Turned out when the seller put the original grip on it, he did not remember to include the plastic riser inside the grip. He is overnighting it to me. Without that riser, and with the rear sight in the forward position, the grip blocks the downward adjustment of the rear sight. Also, you can't adjust the trigger all the way back. The plastic riser can be seen in a video on this page. Scroll down and click lp10 and then show more at the bottom and watch the grip video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_4oMXIeZOY :20 seconds in shows what he's talking about.

Yeah this is something to watch out for. I had this issue when I first took the pistol out of its grip (took me about 30 minutes to figure that out the first time...I'm not the best with mechanics.)
paulmcallister

Post by paulmcallister »

Well my LP10 doesn't have the plastic block so I guess that explains a lot. Thanks for the tip. Paul
paulmcallister

Post by paulmcallister »

Chia wrote:
ihasagun wrote:I just had this same issue with my new to me lp10. Turned out when the seller put the original grip on it, he did not remember to include the plastic riser inside the grip. He is overnighting it to me. Without that riser, and with the rear sight in the forward position, the grip blocks the downward adjustment of the rear sight. Also, you can't adjust the trigger all the way back. The plastic riser can be seen in a video on this page. Scroll down and click lp10 and then show more at the bottom and watch the grip video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_4oMXIeZOY :20 seconds in shows what he's talking about.

Yeah this is something to watch out for. I had this issue when I first took the pistol out of its grip (took me about 30 minutes to figure that out the first time...I'm not the best with mechanics.)
Hi, my LP10 is missing this block and it looks like something simple to make. Could someone kindly let me know the dimensions? - Thanks, Paul