Best Product to Build up Grips?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
GaryN

Re: Best Product to Build up Grips?

Post by GaryN »

I used "Plastic Wood" from Home Depot.
I do NOT recommend it. It takes a LONG time to cure, and it off-gasses for months.

When I had my grip worked on, the guy used a 2 part kneaded epoxy from Ace Hardware. After you put it on, you can work on it (file or grind) after about 15 minutes. Which is good for those of us who are impatient. This is a huge improvement on the cure/dry time of the plastic wood.
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

I have used "Tuf-Fil" resin in the past... https://www.freemansupply.com/products/ ... pair-paste

Very short work time (10-15 minutes), so a glob can be placed in your hand and applied to the grip, situate as desired, then wait for 10-15 minute cure. Molds so accurately, it replicates your finger and palm prints. Very hard when cured, yet can be chipped free with a simple flat-blade screwdriver without marring the original finish.

I have made a full, wrap-around free pistol grip from this stuff. Works like a charm. Only issue is that it needs to be purchased in more quantity than a single person would need. But it has a relatively long shelf life.
Attachments
Tuff-Fil.jpg
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

Here is a picture of a complete grip, built up entirely with Tuf-Fil. Start by adding a thin layer around the pistol action, smeared with petroleum jelly as a release agent. Then build up a stem for the hand portion of the grip, then add layers until complete. The material carves, files, sands easily, and accepts paint, etc.
Attachments
APF-1.jpg
APF-3.jpg
rmca

Post by rmca »

DFWdude

How much does that grip weight?
What pistol is it for?
Free pistol I assume...

Thanks
Chia

Post by Chia »

*whistles* Any downsides to using that? It looks like good stuff.
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

rmca wrote:DFWdude

How much does that grip weight?
What pistol is it for?
Free pistol I assume...

Thanks
The grip weights 230 grams (8 oz). As I look at it, I realize the weight includes an embedded metal tube that provides a bearing surface against which the grip screw tightens (rather than the resin itself).

As for the pistol... Well...

It was built (circa 1990) around a Pardini-Fiocchi K-60 Air Pistol, which I converted for an experimental Air Pistol Free game shot at 10m on a reduced 50m target. The pistol used a thinner diameter, .177 K-58 barrel (10mm vs K-60's 12mm) with an extended blooper tube and muzzle brake. It used a short CO2 cylinder and 20-30 gram trigger. Other than the switch from PB to pellet game and a new target, all other FP rules applied. How's that for thinking outside the box? Picture below...

I haven't kept up with the politics, but if the ISSF is REALLY serious about eliminating 50m pistol (I hope not), I wish they might consider revamping it into an airgun game using ranges compatible with the other 25m ISSF games. It could be shot at existing 10m, or 25m distance, or some standard between (15m, 20m). Sorry to be off-topic, but it answers the grip question...
Attachments
RBD-APF-Mockup-SM.jpg
Last edited by DFWdude on Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jon Math

Post by Jon Math »

That is some impressive work! Thanks for posting it.
Chia

Post by Chia »

I personally think the idea to combine the two makes a good deal of sense. Maybe this could be suggested to someone at the ISSF?
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

I will start a new thread on this topic. Thanks Chia.

Keep on with this topic though. It's very interesting.
Scrench

Post by Scrench »

Very interesting and useful thread. Does anyone have any recommendation for what to use on synthetic grips ala the club grip that comes on a Walther LP400?

Thanks!