Matchguns MG2 and MG2R

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
kbc

Matchguns MG2 and MG2R

Post by kbc »

I like to get some advices on MG2 and MG2R.

To those who have shot MG2 and MG2R, which would you recommend for Standard Pistol event? Does the MG2R have an advantage over the MG2 when shooting Rapid Fire series in Standard Pistol event?

Thank you for your feedbacks.
therider

Re: Matchguns MG2 and MG2R

Post by therider »

it's in my wish list...hopefully soon! :-)
i've no idea if one feels the difference or not, and in the doubt i am going for the rapid fire electronic. I guess it is more stable.

At present i shoot the pardini rapid fire (which belongs to my club) for compiting in standard pistol events. I really miss the possibility of adjusting the grip both horizontally and vertically. I've shot only one MG2, but cannot remember if it was RF or not.
RJP

Post by RJP »

I have owned a MG2 for many years now. About 6 months after I bought the MG2, I installed the RF upgrade kit.

My comments:

The original MG2 looked a little too spacey for me. The steel plates of the fore end weight worked well in adjusting the muzzle flip. I am just too traditional to get past the sharp angles of those steel plates.

I installed the alloy version of the RF kit. The fore end was a little too light, so I placed a few 32 cal bullets in the main cavities of the fore end. This did a lot to tame muzzle flip and the appearance was much more to my liking. The RF kit also comes with a lighter slide for more rapid cycling with the same bullet velocity or you can get reliable cycling with slower bullets for even less muzzle flip.

I did not want to use the steel RF kit because I feel that there is too much momentum in moving from one target to the next in RF shooting.

In shooting RF, the name of the game is to get on the next target with sights aligned. Less muzzle flip and not too much momentum causing you to move past the next target is definitely a help.

When I shoot standard pistol, my sights are right on target after each shot. Since I do not need to move to the next target, excess weight up front is not a disadvantage.

One caution: It is rare, but occasionally, you must clear the gun of live ammunition. The instruction book that I got with my MG2 did not explain how to do this. Several years ago, I posted my procedure on this bulletin board. The only real trick is getting the round out of the chamber. Tilt the MG2 to the left and pull the slide half way back, before the Bullet Insertion Lever(BIL) begins to rise, lift up on the extractor and let the chambered bullet fall through the left side of the receiver.

Really, a MG2 is a great design and I can shoot 22 LR like a 22 short.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Lighter bolt means shorter and sharper recoil impulse. More weight means more inertial resistance.

Both coupled together means a more stable gun.

I quite like the MG-2R and have shot the old model a fair bit; and the new model a little less, but I find it hard to find a compelling reason to pick it over a Pardini.

I chucked in shooting Match Guns when I lost 50 points at National Champs on a count of an unclearable loading malfunction.
Image Image
therider

Post by therider »

SamEEE wrote:
I chucked in shooting Match Guns when I lost 50 points at National Champs on a count of an unclearable loading malfunction.
How old is that? I heard that the new loading mechanism never jams even with the cheap ammunition.
Chia

Post by Chia »

therider wrote:
SamEEE wrote:
How old is that? I heard that the new loading mechanism never jams even with the cheap ammunition.
I'd be interested in hearing about this too. Matchguns, despite not having a US importer to my knowledge, has always intrigued me. I like how they look and wonder if they are reliable enough to seriously consider for world class competition. Sorry for the nested quotes.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Delving into my thoughts further on the brand and the product would not add much to the conversation here.
In short I think it is a neat and innovative design, but dubiously reliable.

David M used to deal in Match Guns I think - maybe he has thoughts and experiences over a larger sample size.

David Chapman of Australia won Commonwealth Gold at Glasgow with one; but he also an immensely talented and experienced athlete. He also takes two MG-2s with him.

Image Image
therider

Post by therider »

Well I see that most professionals shooters take 2 Pardini too at competitions.

We have some Pardini at my club for us to use, and all of them have many times jammed when I shoot with cheap ammunitions!

All the people I spoke to who have recently bought MG2 (a couple of years old) are increadbly happy and say that the gun has never jammed (one has even the old feeding level).

I think that a lot of comments saying that MG2 is unreliable refer to old production only. I guess that they have made a mistake putting it in the market without testing it with cheap ammunitions (or solving the problem if they already knew about it).

That is why I am personally going to ignore them and go for it.
Also at my club I regularly shoot Matchguns MGH1 hybrid, pardini k12, Stehr lp10e (not any more), Morini 162ei and recently I shot a few times the FWB P8x (And so do some other colleagues) and we all agree that technically the mgh1 is superior to all top match pistols.