Rink grips

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jerber

Re: Rink grips

Post by jerber »

rmca wrote:
David Levene wrote:
rmca wrote:By the way, Rover's right despite of his sarcasm, if you never modified a grip with a rasp and putty you don't know what a good felling grip is...
I completely disagree.

I know exactly what a good feeling/handling/pointing grip is, but have always had mine made or modified by people who know what they're doing. Apart from modifications to make factory grips legal I've never had to do any grip work myself.
Ok, let me rephrase then, if you never had a grip modified to suit your hand, you don't know what a good felling grip is... ;)
I totally disagree!!
I have a Benelli mp90 and the grip feels really good!
Soooooo I do know how good a grip can be!
The grip that I want to replace feels small to my hand
Sure I can spend hours filling sanding cutting or whatever I need to do to make it fit
I don't feel like doing a lot of work on a grip that I know I will never get it the way I want
Does that makes sense?
I
Beside,i just want to be cool like everybody else! LOL
Rover

Post by Rover »

Well then, I totally agree with you. I wouldn't do it that way myself, but I definitely see where you're coming from.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

If you want a good fitting grip (as good as any factory grip, and probably better) you can do a lot worse than starting with a Rink grip. They have a wider range of sizes than any other vendor, and additional options that should allow you to get pretty close right out of the box.

From there, you can whittle & putty, but you won't have to do much.

Rover is a bit hypocritical. He will rave about how you shouldn't bother testing pellets, and you shouldn't be suckered into buying a high end PCP pistol. "You can't buy points!"

Yet, he somehow seems to be magically convinced that you can file & putty your way to a higher score. Personally, I think it's a lot like pellet testing. Once you get a reasonably good factory grip (like a Rink), until you can shoot 570 or better (air pistol), wasting time fussing endlessly with your grip would be WAY better spent on careful training. If your trigger control is lousy, the best fitting grip in the world won't help you.

As a team coach and gunsmith, I have had to test fire ALL sorts of pistols with ALL sorts of grips. I can shoot almost as well with a grip that is downright painful to hold (like an XXS with a palm shelf digging into the palm of my hand) as I can with my own grips. I've even shot left handed grips right handed and kept 10 shots in the black. If you really focus on the fundamentals, a less than perfectly fitting grip shouldn't be a big hindrance. If it is comfortable for 60 shots, and points pretty much in the right direction, I wouldn't get too obsessed with making it "perfect" immediately. When the rest of your shot process is good enough to allow you to tell the difference, THEN you can get out the file & putty.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"get a reasonably good factory grip" "If it is comfortable for 60 shots, and points pretty much in the right direction"

If you have that, why would you want aftermarket grips that cost hundreds of dollars?

Just get out the file and putty.

As far as pellets and pistols....I've tested, and I've spent the money. Perhaps experience means nothing against the power of internet blather.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Rover wrote:"get a reasonably good factory grip" "If it is comfortable for 60 shots, and points pretty much in the right direction"

If you have that, why would you want aftermarket grips that cost hundreds of dollars?

Just get out the file and putty.

As far as pellets and pistols....I've tested, and I've spent the money. Perhaps experience means nothing against the power of internet blather.
The OP didn't specify one, but there are plenty of reasons a "factory" grip may need replacing. I'm assuming that he does NOT have a factory grip that meets the basic criteria.

I have tried a number of factory grips that I can't shoot comfortably that would require major woodworking to correct. I have a bad elbow, and if the grip isn't vertical enough, I can't shoot even a third of a match without elbow pain that will last for days. Correcting the angle of a grip by more than a degree with a file & putty is more trouble than it is worth.

Also, thanks to the rather arbitrary and inconsistent sizing labels applied by most vendors, it is very easy to get a factory grip that is sufficiently large or small that a little work with a file & putty isn't going to do the trick. Many manufacturers do not make extra large or extra small grips. If you buy a pistol second hand (which you have recommended countless times), the factory grip may be entirely wrong. Some factory grips are plastic, and are harder to modify than wood ones, or the OP may just consider them ugly. I had a Walther LP3 that was only sold in the US with hollow ambidextrous plastic grips. If you took more than a few mm off, you would go right through the plastic. I bought the wood one from Europe, and then I could tweak it.
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Chia wrote: Any ideas on when the Euro is going to strengthen again?
That depends on what happens in the United States on Tuesday 8th November...
left360

Post by left360 »

Off topic because it is not a Rink grip but...

I sent Andrew at www.precisiontargetpistolgrips.com my highly modified grip with some further modification requests and he was able to duplicate it and incorporate the mods I wanted. In over 3000 rounds I haven't felt any need to modify it further and it facilitates a very repeatable hand position on the grip that I was looking for.

I would suggest that if you have a grip that fits well, you might contact him about the possibility of replicating it for another pistol.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Great idea!
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

Rover wrote:That's true! The underlying assumption though, is that spending $200 for a pair of grips will give superior fit and performance. It just ain't so.

Your suggestion that they will never be superior to even more superior grips is likely true by definition. Not so sure it matters to me.

I ordered Rink grips for my Beretta 89. Clearly "superior fit and performance" to the stock grips! For me, thr Rinks are better than other grips I have modified, although I have stock grips on my GSP which I like even better. I do like the Rink adjustment screws placement for the palm shelf and find that to be superior to the the other adjustable grips I have. I may mess with these grips, not sure. I am positive, that for me, if I modified a dozen grips independently, they would all end up a bit different. This might not be true for anyone else of course.

I ordered mine in July of this year (I think), received them early October. Total price was 192.46 Euro )about $210.00. I paid via Paypal.
Heddok

Post by Heddok »

FWIW I just received a set of custom grips from Mr. Rink. I sent him a really good fitting grip from my MG-2 and he was able to do a 3D scan and then copy it in walnut for my Pardini. He was able to get the offset for shooting with my left eye perfect.

Took 8 weeks in total for me to send the MG grips to Germany and then get the whole works back here. He was fantastic to deal with and even found a reasonably figured piece of walnut.

He's a guy that takes customer satisfaction very seriously even if the customer doesn't speak German and lives 9 time zones away!

Brad
jerber

Post by jerber »

Well,i did ordered it
Called LGI
Very nice people to deal with
I should get it by end of December
I will update when I try it
Thanks everyone