CO2 woes

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
v76

CO2 woes

Post by v76 »

I just got a Walther CP3 and it does shoot fantastically (reminds me a lot of my older lp10s, actually!) However, the filling process isn't going as smoothly as I'd like. I did read all the tutorials on Co2 refills... but still... the refill adapter is stuck to a cylinder, so tight that I had to unscrew the fitting from the tank. I definitely didn't over tighten the cylinder. There is a slot for a flat blade screwdriver inside the adapter but it won't budge and I really don't wanna strip it. It seems the previous owner never had that type of issue as the slot was immaculate (on a 26 years old gun!!). Any tricks?

Edit: So, I had to put it in my vise and put all my force into it. It will then move freely and I'll be able to unscrew it with a flat blade screwdriver.
So now... any tricks on how to avoid that without investing in something to vent the co2 between the tank and cylinder? When I unscrewed it there was no pressure released at all, though.
Gwhite

Re: CO2 woes

Post by Gwhite »

A lot can depend on the type of seal. If the seal between the adapter and the tank valve is an O-ring, it does not need to be more than finger tight. O-rings distort under pressure in a manner that increases the sealing force.

If it uses a flat gasket, then a bit more tightening force may be required. If all of the surfaces are flat, smooth, clean & lightly lubricated with something like silicone O-ring grease, you still shouldn't have to do more than a light crank on a wrench to get a good seal.

Also, check for burrs on the threads, and put an anti-seize lubricant on those as well.
v76

Post by v76 »

Thanks for the reply! But the problem isn't with the fill adapter (which does use a flat seal) That one unscrew easily. Too easily in fact so I'll indeed have to get my wrenches out.

The problem is that the cylinder actually gets stuck on the fill adapter. There is a green, round o-ring inside the cylinder. Threads are fine. I need to use so much force to undo it that it also unscrews the fill adapter from the tank. Had to put the adapter in a vise and unscrew the cylinder from it. There is a hole on the underside of the adapter and I think it might be the key to the problem? I tried to engage the valve through it with no luck.

Rover

Post by Rover »

I guess that's why Walther put a hex fitting on the end of the cylinder that you could put a wrench to. Walther supplied a wrench with the gun.

The cylinder only needs to go on finger tight, but it's tough to remove without the wrench. (Open end or box will do.)
v76

Post by v76 »

I do have the "palm wrench" but it was of absolutely no use, as it didn't have enough torque. Those co2 guns seem to require some good plumbing skills! I'll invest in a wrench to hold the adapter on the tank and another one to unscrew the cylinder from the adapter. No more need to do weight training!
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

One thing to be aware of is that the seal between the tank & the adapter is an O-ring that seals against the shank of the adapter. Tightening the tank firmly onto the fill adapter DOES NOTHING to aid the seal. Screw the tank on by hand, and when you hit the end, you can actually back off a tiny bit (a 16th of a turn?). The button on the end still has to open the valve in the cylinder, but tightening it with ANY force what so ever is counter productive.
Rover

Post by Rover »

v76 wrote:I do have the "palm wrench" but it was of absolutely no use, as it didn't have enough torque. Those co2 guns seem to require some good plumbing skills! I'll invest in a wrench to hold the adapter on the tank and another one to unscrew the cylinder from the adapter. No more need to do weight training!
I also found it worthless. That's why I suggested the wrench. No big deal once you start it, but I only needed it for the gun. When on the tank I could get a good two hand grip.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I shot a CP-1 for years, and never found I needed to use any more than the palm wrench. Keep the threads clean & lubed, don't over tighten the cylinder & you should be fine.
v76

Post by v76 »

Gwhite wrote:One thing to be aware of is that the seal between the tank & the adapter is an O-ring that seals against the shank of the adapter. Tightening the tank firmly onto the fill adapter DOES NOTHING to aid the seal. Screw the tank on by hand, and when you hit the end, you can actually back off a tiny bit (a 16th of a turn?). The button on the end still has to open the valve in the cylinder, but tightening it with ANY force what so ever is counter productive.
Ah! I could actually feel the cylinder get (weirdly) tighter when the cylinder's brass valve would come into contact flush onto the adapter. I think you got it. Being used to pcp, I figured I had to screw it all the way.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll do a few tests later today.
ArcherDash

Post by ArcherDash »

Are you bleeding out the excess CO2? My 2.5oz tank for my 887 gets stuck in the fill adapter if I don't bleed the co2 out
v76

Post by v76 »

There's no bleeding valve on the adapter, unfortunately!