Morini Cylinder Repair Parts?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gwhite

Re: Morini Cylinder Repair Parts?

Post by Gwhite »

I like the tape idea. Thanks!
randy1952

Post by randy1952 »

Gwhite wrote:I have a Morini cylinder that is rated for 20 years, and still has 7 years of life. I know I can't use it in competition, but it should be fine for practice, except it has developed a slow leak. It will drop from 200 bar down to ~ 130 bar over the course of a week. I'm not sure if it's the gauge end or the valve/fill end.

In a rational world, I could send it to Pilkguns for repair. However, they apparently no longer work on cylinders more than 10 years old, independent of what the manufacturer says about their safe working life.

If it's the valve end, I'm perfectly capable of fixing it myself, IF I can get parts. Does anyone know if there are vendors (probably in Europe) that sell rebuild kits, or do they use standard O-rings?

My one concern is that I've heard that the gauges can be an issue. I don't know if the gauges tend to leak internally, stop gauging properly, or if it's just the seal to the tank that tends to leak.

Any thoughts or ideas? Yes, I know I can buy a new cylinder. It just irks me to spend $200 for a 20 year cylinder, only to have some European bureaucrat wave a pen and turn it into scrap.

Thanks!
I believe Scott's gunsmith Buck has parts for the Morini Cylinders. I had him fix my Steyr Cylinder a few years ago, but he is a dealer for both Steyr and Morini.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

My understanding is that they won't touch cylinders over 10 years old, independent of when the manufacturer says they expire. Morini says my cylinder has seven more years left of its 20 year useful life. Hence the need for a do-it-yourself repair.

I tested the valve end yesterday. After 6 hours standing vertically in soapy water, nary a bubble was to be seen. However, it didn't look like it lost any pressure over that time. This morning, about 12 hours later, it had lost visible pressure while lying down overnight. So, it's either the gauge, or the valve doesn't like being horizontal...

I'll use tape over the side hole & test the gauge end tomorrow.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I used a wooden toothpick to pop out the gauge crystal through the small hole in the side. I then put a small piece of cellophane tape over the side hole, and placed the cylinder in just enough (slightly) soapy water to cover the joint between the gauge and the cylinder body.

I was rewarded with a steady stream of small bubbles coming from underneath the edge of the gauge face. The seal from the gauge to the cylinder appears to be fine, but it looks like I have one of the leaky older gauges others have experienced.

I may be able to rescue a good gauge from an expired cylinder. New gauges cost only a little less than half the cost of an entire new cylinder, so it's not really worth it to go that route for a cylinder this old.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Update: The newer style gauge in the expired cylinder I had hoped to cannibalize also appears to be leaking, so my avenues for an economical repair have not panned out.

I'll use the two cylinders as guinea pigs to write up procedures for testing & disassembly for the future. I have a new cylinder on order in the meantime.
NanoZ.

Post by NanoZ. »

In my club there is a large tube with compressed air (equal to oxygen tubes) to recharge the cylinders.
This tube only goes up to 180 bar pressure and has its own gauge, if you had a similar, you could open the Morini cylinder on the side of the valve, grab him upright and put a small portion of glue so as to seal all pressure gauge, fill it with 180 bar and use it for training or for a certain number of shots.

Obviously the morini cylinder gauge would remain unutilized, but at least you can safely use the cylinder.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

NanoZ. wrote:In my club there is a large tube with compressed air (equal to oxygen tubes) to recharge the cylinders.
This tube only goes up to 180 bar pressure and has its own gauge, if you had a similar, you could open the Morini cylinder on the side of the valve, grab him upright and put a small portion of glue so as to seal all pressure gauge, fill it with 180 bar and use it for training or for a certain number of shots.

Obviously the morini cylinder gauge would remain unutilized, but at least you can safely use the cylinder.
Safely? I would not mess around with pressure vessels outside their original design. I had materials such as adhesives and oils behave in an unexpected way when experimenting at only 150psi in a development situation. This is 20x that pressure.
The cylinder is OLD. It should have been replaced once problems started occurring, or at least a new gauge fitted.
srkhan

Post by srkhan »

My Cm 162ei cylinder Air locked inside 150bar! cant drain Air for replacing the fill valve oring 3.8x1.2mm Pu90
cylinder pin can be push inside but air dont come out! its locked with damage oring inside the cylinder !
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I suspect it will leak down over time. Try screwing in the bleed pin VERY carefully in a quiet place, and you may be able to find a position where it hisses a bit. Don't just force it all the way in. Then leave it overnight. The other possibility is that the gauge is stuck & the cylinder is actually empty. I wouldn't count on that, because if the valve is truly jammed, unscrewing the valve end on that assumption could be very exciting.
whitefox545

Post by whitefox545 »

Not to change the subject of the thread but I have an early Morini that dose not have the removable cylinder that is LONG expired and was told there is a kit available to change it over to the new type with the gauge, I was even given a part number for the kit by a member here but I can not find a source for it anywhere. Any of you possibly know of one? Thanks in advance J.L.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

It would really help if you told us where you are. This is an International forum, with members in New Zealand, Australia, Europe, etc.

IF you are in the US, call Neal Stepp at International Shooters Service (ISS): 817-595-2090

Otherwise, check Morini's web site for the nearest service outfit.
whitefox545

Post by whitefox545 »

Thank you Gwhite! I'm in the USA I will try Neil Stepp. I hear he's a great guy to deal with!