Olympic rapid fire

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
VPMAC

Olympic rapid fire

Post by VPMAC »

Hello All,

I am new here and am interested in Rapid Fire 25M. My first stupid question is can you use a two hand hold? I am "OLD" a have a shoulder that has been rebuilt twice.

Thanks

Mac
Spencer

Re: Olympic rapid fire

Post by Spencer »

8.7.1 Firing Position
The athlete must stand free, without any artificial or other support, with both feet and/or shoes completely within the firing point. The pistol must be held and fired with one (1) hand only. The wrist must be visibly free of support.

While the ISSF does not have any provision for disabled shooters as in NRA rules, what your local club allows is up to them.

Enjoy.
VPMAC

Post by VPMAC »

Bummer! May have to learn to shoot left handed. That would be a major change after shooting right handed for the past sixty years.

Thanks
Mac
randy1952

Post by randy1952 »

VPMAC wrote:Bummer! May have to learn to shoot left handed. That would be a major change after shooting right handed for the past sixty years.

Thanks
Mac
I had to switch from right to a left hand hold and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It took about three months and things started to follow in place. I am actually shooting better than when I was shooting right handed.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

Mac you obviously have never heard of Karoly Takacs. My favorite non-rifle Olympian.

He was a Hungarian rapid fire pistol shooter who before the war was expected to compete in the '40 ORP event which was of course canceled. In 1938 he lost the use of his right hand in an accident in the Army.

In 1948 and 1952 he won the Olympic Gold in ORP using his left hand.

So there is your challenge. Switch hands and win medals with your non-dominant hand.

I have had to quit rifle and take up air pistol because of a bad shoulder and change from right to left eye because of eye problems. Getting old sucks.
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

Don't count out supported standing. This event is created to allow older athletes to continue to compete. It provides structural support to help hold the pistol up. It uses the same device as the younger athletes use for PPP competition. This event is much more common in Germany and Hans devotes a couple of pages to this type of shooting in his recent book.
Look at the PPP Counterbalance T stand at USA Shooting:
http://www.usashooting.org/membership/y ... outhpistol
Chia

Post by Chia »

Sorry for interrupting but what is Hans mist recent book?
Chia

Post by Chia »

Thank you!