How much do you shoot/practice?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
massrog

Re: How much do you shoot/practice?

Post by massrog »

Pheyden wrote:Massrog and ABBY1996 - If you need a good place to practice your shooting under "quasi-match" pressure, I would invite you to enter the 10M Pistol Competition League (PCL), which I host on Facebook. Year round matches, one per month. It is all on the honor system. You send in a group photo of your target cards before shooting, and the each completed target. You can score them yourself (I double check them). We have people from all around the globe competing (including several on this forum), and new people are always welcome. If you do not use Facebook, just email me at pheyden1448@yahoo.com, and I can get you the details.
Thank you Pheyden I will probably take you up on the invitation as soon as I get the pistol sorted (and as soon as I learn to use Facebook).

On the subject of sorting the pistol...
I had already ordered the Nygord compensator so I installed it and the added weight over the factory end was a welcome addition, The problem is that the sight post Larry had was LONG so it needed filing and more filing. I have it close to where I need it I think but have a question. I accidently found a "sweet spot" in my sight picture/hold that works when I do my part but it involves having the top of the post down into the notch about 20% and a barely sub 6 o'clock hold. the POI when I can fight through the ADD and get the grip/stance/pull/picture where I want them is great. The question is how to adjust the sight to bring the post up to level and keep in mind I have just about maxed my elevation. As always thanks very much!
Roger
Chia

Post by Chia »

The big question is: can you hit it consistently every time? If not, it's not a sweet spot. If so, do you need to change and why? Think it through carefully and you'll have your answer.

Sorry to go all Yoda, but this sport is intensely individual. It really comes down to what works, not conventional wisdom. Just remember that the conventional wisdom should be given a fair shake before changing. If it isn't broken...

"Fighting through" a gun doesn't sound like you have it figured out yet. Keep experimenting.
massrog

Post by massrog »

Chia wrote:The big question is: can you hit it consistently every time? If not, it's not a sweet spot. If so, do you need to change and why? Think it through carefully and you'll have your answer.

Sorry to go all Yoda, but this sport is intensely individual. It really comes down to what works, not conventional wisdom. Just remember that the conventional wisdom should be given a fair shake before changing. If it isn't broken...

"Fighting through" a gun doesn't sound like you have it figured out yet. Keep experimenting.
The "sweet spot" is a POA that is repeatable and hits the 9 ring. I call it that because I know when I've done it at the pull of the trigger. I am thinking the traditional 6 or barely sub 6 hold would be easier to achieve consistently. The "fighting through" comment is more the mental stuff like consistently gripping properly so I don't get the clockwise loopdeeloop that creates the flyer in the 3 ring at 1 o'clock or the different stance after breaking position to change targets that sends first shots high. If I can start with the [roper zeroing then I can concentrate on the other things one at a time. The strange sight picture is a distraction I don't need as the ADD thing is real.
massrog

Post by massrog »

I guess my real question boiled down is with the sight picture described, do I need to lower the front post more to level out the post/notch line so I can adjust the elevation down from where it is now if I need to (I maxed it up as said above). Sorry to be such a newbie! If this forum was "Olympic Rifle" I'd not have the problem as the picture is circles and I understand them lol
Rune Kanstad

Post by Rune Kanstad »

massrog wrote:The "fighting through" comment is more the mental stuff like consistently gripping properly so I don't get the clockwise loopdeeloop that creates the flyer in the 3 ring at 1 o'clock or the different stance after breaking position to change targets that sends first shots high.
I never break position to change targets. I change targets with my left hand, without moving my feet. I only put down my pistol and move my feet when I take a break to sit down. Also, when I resume shooting again I always dry fire a couple of times after finding the correct posistion before shooting the next series.
massrog

Post by massrog »

Rune Kanstad wrote:
massrog wrote:The "fighting through" comment is more the mental stuff like consistently gripping properly so I don't get the clockwise loopdeeloop that creates the flyer in the 3 ring at 1 o'clock or the different stance after breaking position to change targets that sends first shots high.
I never break position to change targets. I change targets with my left hand, without moving my feet. I only put down my pistol and move my feet when I take a break to sit down. Also, when I resume shooting again I always dry fire a couple of times after finding the correct posistion before shooting the next series.
I shoot in a home range so I need to walk to the target. I plan on getting a second trap so I can shoot two before moving which will probably help and also replicate my club conditions when our range reopens. The dry firing is a GREAT idea. I hadn't tried that but will later today. Thanks!
Rune Kanstad

Post by Rune Kanstad »

I was mainly thinking of when you are in a competition. When we shoot competitions we shoot 2 shots per target. And we use electric target return systems. Not many local clubs have electronic targets yet. I normally shoot 12 shots before taking a break. Of course when I practise at the club range I try to follow the same procedure.

When I practise at home I shoot 10 shots before changing targets and then I have to put the pistol down and walk to the target. But I still shoot the series without moving my feet or releasing my grip. I find this makes it easier to be consistent in my shooting.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

I couldn't disagree more with you guys who say not to think about bad shots. An analysis of shot n-1 is absolutely essential to the mental program for shot n. The first thing you should do after a shot is to call the shot then look at the scope or screen and compare the call to the result. If they are different analyze why; if they are the same proceed with your shot process for the next shot. That's not to say you should beat yourself up about it but you must analyze your performance as it unfolds.
rmca

Post by rmca »

gwsb wrote:I couldn't disagree more with you guys who say not to think about bad shots. An analysis of shot n-1 is absolutely essential to the mental program for shot n. The first thing you should do after a shot is to call the shot then look at the scope or screen and compare the call to the result. If they are different analyze why; if they are the same proceed with your shot process for the next shot. That's not to say you should beat yourself up about it but you must analyze your performance as it unfolds.
One thing is to analise the shot after you shoot it, another thing is to carry it to the next shot.
You should look at a match as a collection of sixty individual and independent shots.
The only reason to analise the n-1 shot is to make sure you start from the same "point zero" every time.
You correct what was wrong or what was less good with the last shot, only to start with the same exact conditions every time.

hope this helps
Rover

Post by Rover »

So FIX the damn sights!
Pheyden

Post by Pheyden »

I'm with Rover on this one.

Get the sights to a point where at least the tops of the front and rear sights align horizontally. Whether it is then placed at "6" or "sub-6" is a matter of personal preference. We refer to the way the sights appear as a "sight picture", because we want to train the brain to accept that sight picture "as a whole entitity" not as individual elements. In this way, when the sight picture is achieved with the required stability, shot release should be automatic.

Sight picture (the whole of the sights/bull in the alignment you prefer)
Stability (minimum range of motion you can achieve)
Shot release
m1963

Post by m1963 »

massrog wrote:While I try to sort out my FAS 609 which I bought 4 months ago a couple of questions have occurred to me. The first is how often should I shoot and how many shots per session? I have a range set up at the house which was supposed to be a practice range for my daughter to practice for her comp team and I use it for 6-12 targets per evening. Is this too much? Another is should I seek out some instruction (is any available in MASS?). Lastly where should my novice average match score be to be respectable for club shoots? Thanks in advance!
Roger
Greetings-

With regard to the original question: shoot as much as you are comfortable with. At times a competitor will be all over the place. Often, just working with the pistol, and continuing to shoot will produce improved scores. Write down everything. What worked, what didn't, and what you did to 'fix' the problem, so you can repeat it next time.

On occasion, nothing works. When this happens walk away and come back later. (This is not an answer for an actual match, only practice sessions.)

Personally, I try to shoot a 60 shot match every day (plus sighters) for conditioning. Life does get in the way of this, though.

Cheers!
m1963
Rover

Post by Rover »

"Lastly where should my novice average match score be to be respectable for club shoots?"

You'll know the answer to this when you stop gagging over the wastebasket and the mocking laughter of your fellow competitors ceases.

It's nice that you have a place to shoot at home. I would practice as much as I could, but maintaining a relaxed and comfortable pace. 90/100 shots a session would be good (1 1/2 matches), but do NOT beat yourself up. You're going for quality not quantity.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Rover wrote:"Lastly where should my novice average match score be to be respectable for club shoots?"

You'll know the answer to this when you stop gagging over the wastebasket and the mocking laughter of your fellow competitors ceases.

It's nice that you have a place to shoot at home. I would practice as much as I could, but maintaining a relaxed and comfortable pace. 90/100 shots a session would be good (1 1/2 matches), but do NOT beat yourself up. You're going for quality not quantity.
At the last monthly match at Woburn Sportsmen's Assoc. in Bedford, MA, the "D" division was won with a score of 435. Approximately half the scores were below 510.

If you are worried about what other people think about your scores, you are already focused on the wrong things.
Chia

Post by Chia »

Gwhite wrote:At the last monthly match at Woburn Sportsmen's Assoc. in Bedford, MA, the "D" division was won with a score of 435. Approximately half the scores were below 510.

If you are worried about what other people think about your scores, you are already focused on the wrong things.
Going to agree with this and add one additional thing. I'm no expert, so take this with a grain of salt, but it's based on advice I've received on the forum.

If you are thinking at ALL when you lift the AP to shoot, you are about to make a shot that should be aborted. If I notice that I am pondering things like how much I need to practice or other such "clutter" filling up my brain during my actual shot routine, I need put down my pistol, take a deep breath, and clear my mind of chatter. I'm not sure exactly who said "no stinkin' thinkin'!" on the range first, but they're right. Consistency is the name of the game. Consistent stance, consistent grip, and consistent mindset. There's only one mindset that is "easily" repeatable, and that's a clear one, focused exclusively on the shot.