Steyr LP5/50 trigger - second stage weight

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
sportex

Steyr LP5/50 trigger - second stage weight

Post by sportex »

As we all know, the trigger on LP5/50 is not quite good compared to top quality single shoot AP.
In my opinion, one of the reasons is the trigger LP5/50 do not have a possibility for second stage weight adjustment. Second stage weight is relatively big and determined with one spring in trigger mechanism. Normally, trigger adjustment on 530g have relation between first and second stage about 50-50%. Reduction in weight at the moment the firing is respectively too big. I think that is more desirable to have 400g on first stage and 130g on second stage, for example.

Does anybody already consider this as a problem?

I found only one link about that:
http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb810999arne/a ... erlp50.htm

My English is not so good, so sorry.
northpaw

Re: Steyr LP5/50 trigger - second stage weight

Post by northpaw »

From the link in the last post:

"Man har förenklat och helt missat sluttrycksjusteringen och dolt för oss brukare justeringen av upphaket!"

Tris says: the trigger unit of the LP50 has been simplified (relative to that of the LP5 that is), and that the sear engagement adjustment is now hidden from us (the users of the gun).

This is probablly a safety measure from the designers, - if the sear engagemant is set too shallow, and/or the second stage pull weight is set too low, the gun may be prone to multiple firings, by one pull of the trigger (full auto).
sportex

Post by sportex »

I'm agreed. Questions is what is really too low second stage pull weight for LP5/50? Sear adjustment - bridging of the sear between trigger sear and trigger lever - is not hidden, screw for that adjustment is marked with red arrow on pictures, and that is adjusted and protected by the factory. With blue arrow is marked second stage pressure spring. Yesterday I removed trigger mechanism on my LP5 and removed that spring - measured 7.8mm long. Push it between fingers to the end and release - measured 6.7mm long. Then I assembled spring and trigger mechanism. I found that second stage weight now is 140g, instead previous 220g. First impressions: for me, better balance between first and second stage and little more clean firing. LP5 still works perfectly, without multiple shots. Of course, during the time I will see how useful is such small modification.
Attachments
01.JPG
02.jpg
Brian Girling

Post by Brian Girling »

sportex wrote: I removed trigger mechanism on my LP5 and removed that spring - measured 7.8mm long. Push it between fingers to the end and release - measured 6.7mm long.
If the spring can be shortened by such a simple method then it is of extremely poor quality. (I was a Metallurgist in an earlier life). I removed that spring and replaced it with one from a retractable ballpoint pen, after a bit of experimentation I got 400/150g which suits me fine.
sportex

Post by sportex »

Brian Girling wrote:If the spring can be shortened by such a simple method then it is of extremely poor quality. (I was a Metallurgist in an earlier life).
About spring quality - honestly I don't know. This spring has relatively small number of coils relative to its length, and larger diameter of wire than in ballpoint pen. But this is not the only spring I have deal with. Furthermore, I inserted about 2mm width spacer forward the striker spring. Without spacer, velocity screw has to be, for my felling, too deep (very close to the end of the thread) for moderate 450-460fps with 8.2 grain pellet. My LP5 is about 18 years old, and maybe this is not unusual? The striker spring is all the time in "ready for fire" position, in significant tension, if I understand how LP5 working. Do you have an experience with this also?