Grease me up, Election's coming

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rover

Grease me up, Election's coming

Post by Rover »

But I really want to know if RemOil, which I use on my firearms due to its wonderful leak-proof container, is suitable for airgun seals.
Gwhite

Re: Grease me up, Election's coming

Post by Gwhite »

RemOil (the water clear oil) is REALLY thin, and evaporates quickly. I've worked with high pressure seals for almost 40 years. I've never seen any recommendation other than grease. In a non-oxygen environment, petroleum based grease is fine, but for SCUBA applications & spring-air, you want synthetic (usually silicone-based) grease.

Seeing as how it's you, Rover, SSP's should be fine with petroleum based grease.

Silicone grease suitable for O-rings can be bought as "faucet grease" from most hardware stores. Danco makes a 0.5 oz tube that sells for less than $4. Because you only want a very thin film on seals to avoid attracting dirt, it should last a lifetime.
PhatMan

Post by PhatMan »

Rover,

Heavy weight (SAE 30) motorcycle fork oil (I use Silkolene) has worked really well for me in SSP rifles & pistols.

Fork oil is seal friendly, and has plenty of anti-wear & extreme pressure additives.

(The suggestion to use fork oil was kindly given to me by Mr. McMurray of 'MAC1 Airgun')

Have fun & a good weekend :)

Best regards

Russ
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

some people use automatic transmission fluid everywhere to lubricste ssp guns, based on fact it is kind to O rings and high pressure metal to metal lubricant.

Ditto power steering fluid.

Not sure if they are ok on skin, so I use Napier (of London) Power airgun oil aerosol.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Currently I'm using a mixture of Beeman Chamber Lube that is at least 30years old and some air tool oil. Seems OK, but I thought I might like the RemOil because of its nice, easy to use container.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

FYI: RemOil is quite flammable (I just tested it). I'd keep it away from compressed air other than an SSP, where the odds of getting dieseling are minimal.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Dieseling with an SSP is quite likely. Don't ask how I know.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

You must pump it pretty fast...
Rover

Post by Rover »