on sub-conscious (automatic) shooting (paper)

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
scerir

on sub-conscious (automatic) shooting (paper)

Post by scerir »

It seems an interesting paper, technical, and difficult (at least for me). But worth reading

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... 15-214.pdf
Gwhite

Re: on sub-conscious (automatic) shooting (paper)

Post by Gwhite »

That's going to be some heavy reading. I wish Google had a jargon to English translator...
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

It's interesting that of the shots classified as "automatic", the majority were "suboptimal", while "controlled" shots were more successful overall. If I read this correctly, the "controlled" aspect of these shots was paying attention to the sights, while triggering was "automatic". The paper doesn't address whether the shots broke consciously or not. I suspect not, because attention was on the sights. For non-neuroscientists, it seems to reinforce things we've been saying all along. I think the EKGs reveal more to people who know how to read them. Anyone out there?
william

Post by william »

Freakin' angels dancing on the freakin' head of a freakin' pin!
scerir

Post by scerir »

Ricardo wrote:It's interesting that of the shots classified as "automatic", the majority were "suboptimal", while "controlled" shots were more successful overall. If I read this correctly, the "controlled" aspect of these shots was paying attention to the sights, while triggering was "automatic". The paper doesn't address whether the shots broke consciously or not. I suspect not, because attention was on the sights. For non-neuroscientists, it seems to reinforce things we've been saying all along. I think the EKGs reveal more to people who know how to read them. Anyone out there?
Few more informations about that paper. Many tests were performed, with many Italian top shooters (not just one top shooter, as said in that paper), during 6 or 7 years. One of the specific intents was to study (with the aid of those instruments) the moment when the optimal "automatic" (sub-conscious?) shooting performance becomes "non-automatic" (non sub-conscious?), and to study the possibility, or the very conditions, to recover the "automatic" (optimal) shooting as soon as possible. Of course shooters provided specific feedbacks and self-evaluations (about the optimality or sub-optimality of their performances). No strategy (effective in general, for *every* shooter, and at *any* time) has been found (as far as I could understand). s.