Air pistol accuracy testing

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
md123180

Air pistol accuracy testing

Post by md123180 »

So I just picked up a nice K12 AP. Now, I'm looking to test her out with different pellets to see what she likes best.

First, are there any distributors that have testing lots, or samples from lots for me to test? I'd like to find some batches to run through before I commit to buying a lot, but I haven't seen any available online.

Second, does anyone have any general recommendations for what to feed a K12 before I finally commit to a lot? If you ask me about .45 ammo, I can talk your ear off... .22, and I can do ok. Pellets are all new to me.

Thanks!
There's no such thing as a part-time Champion.

Your degree of determination has an absolute relationship to your degree of success. Just like your sights, being a Champion requires absolute and constant focus.
David M

Re: Air pistol accuracy testing

Post by David M »

Until you are shooting 96 or 97 out of 100, I would not worry
about pellet testing.
The K12 being a PCP can use either the light or heavy pellet, so just
get a quality target pellet about 4.50/4.51 and go shoot.
Buy a brick (10 tins) by the end of them you may want to test....
JC Hayes

Post by JC Hayes »

william

Post by william »

"...get a quality target pellet about 4.50/4.51 and go shoot." And 4.49.

Read some of the dozens (or is it hundreds?) of posts on this topic. If you don't conclude that pellet testing is a waste of time you haven't read carefully enough. A minute spent in focused practice is worth hours of testing. Or do you seriously believe that you can create a bigger improvement by fiddling with pellets than by working on the things you really can change?

Rover, your turn....
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hell, Willie, he can read just the posts by ME to find that out.

Test packs, Jeez!
kevinkunkle

Post by kevinkunkle »

Podiumpellets.com
rmca

Post by rmca »

Have a look at this post and then draw your conclusions about testing...

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=51440
Rover

Post by Rover »

Here's what a pellet maker has to say on the subject:

The subject of which brand/size/ weight pellet to use in my air pistol is probably the one that we waste the most time on the phone trying to explain to people. Look at the size of the ten ring on an AP target, and then look at the size of the group being shot. THE WORST PELLET/ BARREL COMBINATION WILL STILL HOLD THE 10 RING BY FAR. Can you hold the 10 ring every shot? Until you can don't even think about worrying about pellets. The pellets are that accurate!!! (assuming you are talking about match pellets like listed in the poll, to include JSBs. To do otherwise is putting the cart before the horse. Its analogous to worrying about putting 155 mph speed rated tires versus putting 167 mph speed rated tires on a Ford Taurus that will only do 120 mph on flat ground with a 30 mph tail wind.

For the record, light versus heavy discussion in modern air pistols is also moot. If you are using a CA or CO2 then shoot the heavies. the lights were left over when AP technology did good to break 400 fps.

And my last word on the subject:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30011&hilit=pellets