New air pistol... old-new shooter

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
GiaMa

New air pistol... old-new shooter

Post by GiaMa »

Hello to everybody! I am an old time reader but this is my first post here and english is not my first language so I hope you will forgive me for inaccuracies in expressing concepts.

I am 49 yrs old and about 30 yrs ago I was a member of the juniores air pistol italian shooting team (I was a teammate of Roberto Di Donna, if anyone remember him, in two European Championships and some international competitions).

In all these years I have returned to shooting range only 4 or 5 times. Now... after seeing the Olympics, many emotions and memories are back "wildly" into my mind :D

In short... I would like to train again with an air pistol.

At that time ('80-'90) I shot using a FWB 90 (with electronic trigger). The total weight was, if I remember well, about 1350 grams. The center of gravity was very backward, more or less where the trigger was.

I am trying to figure out what kind of pistol I could buy today to start again and, for this, I have read a lot of threads and posts here in TargetTalk.

The first logical choice for an Italian shooter would be a Pardini. Low price, chance to obtain even a discount, short distance from headquarter in case of revisions or malfunctions.

Frankly speaking, I know that any gun is well beyond my actual ability but the quality of construction and assembly of Pardini's pistols leave (left at that time) me a bit perplexed... (I had the chance to shoot the Pardini of Roberto Di Donna and I liked the trigger but I doubt seriously that Pardini would provide/supply me with the same components and settings :D )

Remembering my old days, probably I would prefer a weapon with these general characteristics:

1- center of gravity toward the trigger rather than toward the muzzle (this because I was used not to "hold strong" my hand around the grip, I held slightly, and a weight moved much forward toward the muzzle would probably tend to "open" my hand)

2- a clean and crisp trigger. Preferably short or zero overtravel (mechanical triggers of that time required quite frequently adjustments, especially after flights; perhaps today the new materials and new construction technologies have reduced the problem)

3- not too loud when shooting! (as I would like, sometimes, to train in my apartment... if possible)

The list of pistols is so vast...

Because of the fact that it is difficult to find a shooting range or shop that will allow me to evaluate 6 or 7 different air pistols, I would like to ask for your help to narrow down the field.

Thanks a lot for reading and, hopefully, for your suggestions and discussions. I am open to all suggestions.
wasatch

Re: New air pistol... old-new shooter

Post by wasatch »

Another Italian pistol to consider would be the MatchGuns MGH1 mechanical or hybrid (with electronic trigger) made in Parma, IT. The MGH1 doesn't have the recoil absorber or anti-muzzle flip barrel vents of the Pardini K12 but it does have adjustable grip angle and a dial gauge on the cylinder (vs the inaccurate linear gauge on the Pardini cylinders).

The electronic trigger is very nice.

I like the MatchGuns grip (made by Morini himself) much better than the Pardini grip.

If I recall correctly the balance of both is similar: just in front of the trigger guard.

http://www.matchguns.com/it/mgh1-hybrid
Rover

Post by Rover »

Ideal guinea gun would be a Pardini K58.

But, for low cost, any SSP would do; preferably Walther LPM1 or FWB 100 series.
Jcortiz

Post by Jcortiz »

I have the MG1E and Its an excellent pistol. I find the compensator on the mg1e more efective than the one that comes with the mg1h plus my barrel have 3 tiny perforations that makes the recoil nonexistent. Accuracy its on par with the best ones.
Pheyden

Post by Pheyden »

I'll add my endorsement for the MGH1 as well, particularly as you are in Italy. Stefano and Mr. Morini have been of great help the last two times that I was at the factory. Last time updated the compensator to the new design. As someone else stated the electronic trigger is superb.
GiaMa

Post by GiaMa »

Thanks for your suggestions till now.
I'll make a trip to Parma hopefully in september to have a look at the Matchguns. I've just wrote an email to them to see if this is possible.

By the way, the aesthetic impression of the mgh1 hybrid is not the best (my opinion)... :(

Could anyone make a comparisons between the feeling of shooting with the old electronic trigger of FWB mod.90 (middle '80s) and the new electronic triggers available on the market?
TB

Post by TB »

The MGH1 is pretty front heavy though. I also wanted a pistol with the weight closer to the hand, and ended up with a Feinwerkbau P44. If I was you I would look at the new Feinwerkbau P8X
Rover

Post by Rover »

"Could anyone make a comparisons between the feeling of shooting with the old electronic trigger of FWB mod.90 (middle '80s) and the new electronic triggers available on the market?"

I used to use the FWB 90 and shot my highest average and personal best with it. It had a very fine trigger.

I have used several different Morini 162IE pistols, but really found no improvement over the 90.

As I said above, if you can find a Pardini K58 you will be more than happy with it, especially for the price.
GiaMa

Post by GiaMa »

Rover wrote:"Could anyone make a comparisons between the feeling of shooting with the old electronic trigger of FWB mod.90 (middle '80s) and the new electronic triggers available on the market?"

I used to use the FWB 90 and shot my highest average and personal best with it. It had a very fine trigger.

I have used several different Morini 162IE pistols, but really found no improvement over the 90.

As I said above, if you can find a Pardini K58 you will be more than happy with it, especially for the price.

Ahahah! Great to know that someone used FWB 90! I too shot my best with FWB 90 in 1985 in Zurich! Great memories... old times! Thanks for your opinion.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hey, amico mia, I'm Italian too.
Pheyden

Post by Pheyden »

I hope to compete in the senior division at the Meyton Cup, at Innsbruck, in Jan. 2017. If you get your pistol, join us!
GiaMa

Post by GiaMa »

Pheyden wrote:I hope to compete in the senior division at the Meyton Cup, at Innsbruck, in Jan. 2017. If you get your pistol, join us!
Well... I spend the most part of the year in Sao Paulo and january is a month to stay in Brazil rather than in Innsbruck! By the way, thanks for the invite.

On the next weeks I'll try to test some air pistols in Italy and I hope to decide soon.

About MatchGuns MGH1... differences between electronic trigger and mechanical? What would you prefer (for those who have that pistol)? I must confess that I don't like the aesthetics of the hybrid... :(
Bigship

Post by Bigship »

Pheyden wrote:I hope to compete in the senior division at the Meyton Cup, at Innsbruck, in Jan. 2017. If you get your pistol, join us!
This here Texan may take you up on that invite, amigo. Got a lot of training to do between now and then to catch up to you professionals! Your forum is much appreciated.
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

On the MGH1 trigger, the electronic release must be set to a lower weight than the mechanical. The adjustment is pretty straight forward. Both are crisp with little if any collapse after release.

I find there is very little muzzle flip when I hold it well. Less than a Morini 162 I shot. Not sure what velocity each was shooting though. And I like the little recoil impulse of the MGH1 vs the total stillness of the K12.

I also find the MGH1 more forgiving and easier to hold than the K12. Maybe because I've spent more time fitting the MatchGun grip which I liked better from the get go.
GiaMa

Post by GiaMa »

wasatch wrote:On the MGH1 trigger, the electronic release must be set to a lower weight than the mechanical. The adjustment is pretty straight forward. Both are crisp with little if any collapse after release.

I find there is very little muzzle flip when I hold it well. Less than a Morini 162 I shot. Not sure what velocity each was shooting though. And I like the little recoil impulse of the MGH1 vs the total stillness of the K12.

I also find the MGH1 more forgiving and easier to hold than the K12. Maybe because I've spent more time fitting the MatchGun grip which I liked better from the get go.
Thanks. Again, very appreciated opinions. :)
Bigship

Post by Bigship »

Just purchased the MGH1 Mechanical this morning from Krale-Schietsports. Great guys to deal with (is there anyone in Holland that doesn't speak English better that I do!??). Anyway, I looked at all of your comments, the fact that these guns were not offered in the US, a great delivered price of $1,111 USD with today's exchange rate, and pulled the trigger. Setting up my upstairs 10 meter shooting lane this week. I should have the pistol by Friday or Monday. Looking forward to learning. I could use a bit better mind and thought control too. Lots to this, and I think I've gotten off to a good start with the right equipment. Thanks for sharing your experience on this forum.