Customized Mrod-air

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jsb2127

Customized Mrod-air

Post by jsb2127 »

Hello All,

I've been interested in 10m air pistol shooting and am new to TargetTalk. I'm looking to invest in an air pistol to start out at home. As a beginner, I would like to keep it below $500 and prefer not to wait around for a used popular brand model to pop up in the classifieds. I came across the Mrod-air PCP pistol and it looks very intriguing at this price point ($289). All of the reviews and videos I've seen are very positive. It appears highly adjustable and just might be a decent platform to add upgrades.

Anyone have ideas on how to make this gun a good or even great entry level 10m competition shooter? For example, this pistol does not come with open sights. Any thoughts on adding sights, walnut grip (any DIY wood grip makers?), or custom barrel would be appreciated. Thanks!
kevinweiho

Re: Customized Mrod-air

Post by kevinweiho »

Comparing the Mrod to a 10 meter airpistol is like comparing apples to oranges. If you're REALLY interested in the sport, be patient and wait until the right pistol comes along. For around $500 and under, you can pick up a used IZH46M or FWB 65. Over time, when you become more proficient, you can decide whether you want to spend more money to upgrade to a pcp.
nick marshall

Post by nick marshall »

jsb2127 wrote:Hello All,

I've been interested in 10m air pistol shooting and am new to TargetTalk. I'm looking to invest in an air pistol to start out at home. As a beginner, I would like to keep it below $500 and prefer not to wait around for a used popular brand model to pop up in the classifieds. I came across the Mrod-air PCP pistol and it looks very intriguing at this price point ($289). All of the reviews and videos I've seen are very positive. It appears highly adjustable and just might be a decent platform to add upgrades.

Anyone have ideas on how to make this gun a good or even great entry level 10m competition shooter? For example, this pistol does not come with open sights. Any thoughts on adding sights, walnut grip (any DIY wood grip makers?), or custom barrel would be appreciated. Thanks!
If it doesn't come with any form of target sights or a decent grip. I would not go near it. I mean! What's the point!

Find something that will at least give you a fighting chance and allow you to progress.
Lots of pistols are available out there available with target sights. Good target adjustable trigger and an anatomical grip. Buy one of them.
rmca

Post by rmca »

jsb2127 wrote:Anyone have ideas on how to make this gun a good or even great entry level 10m competition shooter? For example, this pistol does not come with open sights. Any thoughts on adding sights, walnut grip (any DIY wood grip makers?), or custom barrel would be appreciated. Thanks!
By the time you've finnish with all the upgrades you mentioned, you'll end up spending more money and still have a crappy pistol.

You'll be better of in the long run by getting a "real" 10 meter match pistol.
Andre

Post by Andre »

The P-rod (M-rod is slang for the Marauder rifle) is really meant for fun, plinking, silhouette shooting, field target, and hunting. It is too heavy for one-hand target shooting. It does not have a regulator either, there are however many people making tuner parts and grips for them.

If you want a target pistol from Crosman, I would recommend a 2300T. Outfit it with new custom grips, a P-rod grip frame (the marauder pistol frame has a nicer, adjustable trigger). The stock sights should be OK.
jsb2127

Post by jsb2127 »

Thanks for the tip, Andre. I haven't considered the 2300t and some of the custom grips I've seen look promising. It reminds me a bit of the Walther LP53 which I like.
jsb2127

Post by jsb2127 »

Andre wrote:The P-rod (M-rod is slang for the Marauder rifle) is really meant for fun, plinking, silhouette shooting, field target, and hunting. It is too heavy for one-hand target shooting. It does not have a regulator either, there are however many people making tuner parts and grips for them.

If you want a target pistol from Crosman, I would recommend a 2300T. Outfit it with new custom grips, a P-rod grip frame (the marauder pistol frame has a nicer, adjustable trigger). The stock sights should be OK.
Thanks for the tip, Andre. I haven't considered the 2300t and some of the custom grips I've seen look promising. It reminds me a bit of the Walther LP53 which I like.
calstan49

Post by calstan49 »

I shoot a number of target pistols in my basement 10 m range - far from a competitive shooter. I have a Daisy 777, a Diana 6M, a Crosman 2300S, a Walther CP-2, an FWB100, an IZH 46M, and a few other pistols that are less target oriented. My only experience with a Marauder has been to shoot one owned by a friend a few times.

You have a few choices in an inexpensive pistol -
Daisy 747 (or used 777) - single stroke pneumatic - LW barrel - OK trigger - $230 for a new 747 - under $300 for a used 777
Crosman 2300S - CO2 - can be ordered with LW barrel - usable trigger - around $275
IZH 46M - another SSP - very accurate - good trigger - around $500

Of these the IZH is by far the best choice - a pistol that you could comfortably compete with.

If you're OK with a bulk CO2 pistol - you can probably find a Walther CP-1, CP-2 or one of the bulk fill FWB's in good shape under $500. I picked up a well used CP-2 for $220 including shipping from the Netherlands,

You'll never be happy with the M-Rod trigger for real target work.

Hope this helps.
Cal in Maine
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

OP is NOT writing about the Benjamin M-Rod Pistol. He's asking about the new pistol from MrodAir in the US (but sold around the world under several other brand names, all made by Snow Peak in China). This one...

Now, I've owned every 10m match pistol there was since 1985. I also bought one of the MrodAir pistols earlier this year, intending to see if it was suitable for American Field Target competition (10-35yds on falling silhouettes). For that it is quite satisfactory, with a replacement barrel.

For 10m use, not at all. Even if you can find satisfactory iron sights, the pistol is not accurate enough for 10m. Fine plinker and hunter, but it's a waste of your time and resources for 10m. Sorry

Best to look about for a used SSP, such as FWB or Pardini, for about the same money as the new pistol not suited for the purpose. SSP is a good way to start without all the extra support equipment. Eventually you will upgrade to an old bulk-fill CO2, or a newer Compressed air pistol, if you like the game well enough to stay. By that time, you will have attended some matches and had an opportunity to hold and shoot other guns.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

jsb2127 wrote:Thanks for the tip, Andre. I haven't considered the 2300t and some of the custom grips I've seen look promising. It reminds me a bit of the Walther LP53 which I like.
Avoid the 2300T. My club bought ten for a junior program, and they are NOT "target" pistols. They are not very accurate, the sights aren't very good, and the trigger is atrocious. Using the factory spring, the lightest you can get the trigger pull on most is about 2 1/2 pounds. The claimed "1 pound" in the manual is a misprint. The trigger pull has a lot of creep as well. I've taken them all apart, polished the triggers & sears, and replaced the trigger springs. They are now shootable, but just barely.
mikeyj

Post by mikeyj »

Agreed on the 2300 and its variants. it's a plinker, not a match gun. I had several, including one in which I installed a custom sear and custom match grips. Still didn't shoot as well as a stock 747.