Hammerli FP sear engagement adjustment

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Westporter

Hammerli FP sear engagement adjustment

Post by Westporter »

I recently acquired a Hammerli 106 FP. The manual under Trigger Weight/Sear Engagement states: To set sear engagement: Turn screw 1138 anti-clockwise about two full turns. Then cock the set trigger and slowly turn screw 1138 clockwise until the sear releases. Then back off (turn anti clockwise) one quarter turn.

Companion screw 1138a is employed to adjust the actual trigger pull weight, which I have set to my satisfaction.

So my question is what would be accomplished, if anything, by going through the sear engagement process? I hasten to add that I am a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
slofyr

Re: Hammerli FP sear engagement adjustment

Post by slofyr »

Westporter wrote:......what would be accomplished, if anything, by going through the sear engagement process? I hasten to add that I am a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Adequate sear engagement is necessary to prevent bump discharges and holes in the bench. It's easy enough to test the sensitivity. If no problem, don't fix it.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Westporter wrote:So my question is what would be accomplished, if anything, by going through the sear engagement process? I hasten to add that I am a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
The process described for the sear engagement is to give you a clean breaking trigger while being safe.
That quarter turn gives you enough sear engagement to prevent the pistol from firing when bumped, altough this has to be coupled with some trigger weigth.
To much sear engagement with very little trigger pressure will still cause the gun to fire when bumped. It will also provide a very long and creppy realease.

Adjust the sear and trigger weight, and then cock the pistol (make sure it's empty... ). Bump it with your other hand as if you slamed it a bit harder on the bench. It should not fire.

Hope this helps
Westporter

Post by Westporter »

Thank you very much for the technical analysis - will follow through.