MG1E air leak

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Jcortiz

MG1E air leak

Post by Jcortiz »

Hi guys, my MG1E has an air leak thru the o'ring that takes the air tube on tbe pistol. Is there a service or repair manual that shows how to change the o'rings on this great pistol? I dont want to ruin it by experimenting with it.
gn303

Re: MG1E air leak

Post by gn303 »

I had the same problem. I pushed the o-ring in place using wooden sticks and a lot of patience. But it worked. If I can do it anybody can.
So patience and good luck.
Guy
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The four most important general rules on working with O-rings:

1) Don't use anything sharp that could cut or scratch the O-ring

2) Don't use a tool that is harder than the material the O-ring mounts on/in. A small scratch is all it takes to create a permanent leak. Brass on steel is OK, or wood/plastic on brass or aluminum.

3) Cleanliness is critical. All it takes is a tiny bit of dirt, debris or fiber to create a leak. Using cotton swabs is good for cleaning, but a stray strand of cotton can create a leak. Foam tipped swabs are best if you can find them. I had to re-build a Tau-7 twice because I got a strand of cotton trapped under the firing seal.

4) Apply a thin film of silicone grease to the O-ring before installing a new one. Just enough to give it a sheen. It doesn't need any more than that, and excess grease can attract dirt
Jcortiz

Post by Jcortiz »

Thanks guys, the problem is that the o'ring is deep inside the air tube receiver on the pistol and all you can see is the inside of the o'ring. I think its not that easy...but will keep trying. Thanks
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Jcortiz wrote:Thanks guys, the problem is that the o'ring is deep inside the air tube receiver on the pistol and all you can see is the inside of the o'ring. I think its not that easy...but will keep trying. Thanks
You have my sympathy. The old Hammerli 480K's cylinders were like that, with a thin O-ring WAY down inside. It's a very poor (but not uncommon) design from a serviceability standpoint. I had a battle recently with several Pardini K60 cylinders where the O-rings had fossilized in the grooves. Fortunately, they were fairly large and weren't very far down inside & I could pry them out with a brass tool I made.
Jcortiz

Post by Jcortiz »

Well my friends I finally removed the old O'ring . Now the new task begins , install the new one. Its a very hard Oring (green color) and hard to fex it... Will continue tomorrow with the task.
divingin

Post by divingin »

The foam swabs GWhite mentioned are easily found in the cosmetics department of any local drug store. Used to use them a lot on underwater photography equipment.

jky
Jcortiz

Post by Jcortiz »

Well I removed the o'ring and intalled the new one from Match guns. But the leak continues thru the same place... Removed the new one and did a better clean up of the area but still leaks. will have to by another 1027 o ring. The problem is that the oring goes thru a very small hole that makes it imposible to get into if you dont bend the oring into an 8 form. The result the oring deforms ( its a hard one green color)....
sobakavitch

Post by sobakavitch »

ABC
Last edited by sobakavitch on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jcortiz

Post by Jcortiz »

Does anyone konws were I can find that o-ring here in USA?
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Greetings-

We have used Viton O-Rings, from 'O-Rings and more' in smilar applications for other air pistols. They sell small lots. The Viton O-rings are brown. They may be acceptable alternatives. We have never found an inexpensive source for the green O-rings (Steyr, Matchgun, etc.) in the US. If someone else has we would also be interested in that information.

http://www.oringsandmore.com/?fullSite=1

Cheers!
m1963
Jcortiz

Post by Jcortiz »

I was looking at the page but didnt find the7x1.5 mm 1027 oring...
Jcortiz

Post by Jcortiz »

Hey my friend thanks a lot I searched the page but miss this one. Will be ordering tomorow. Their price for the pack its the same thst I paid to Match Guns for only one.
Jcortiz

Post by Jcortiz »

Well friends I discovered the leak.It whent from oring 1032 and gasket 1034 on the regulator...so I'll be emailing Match Guns for the order....since the gasket is a tube like part. Thanks for the help!
ronpistolero

Post by ronpistolero »

Hi. I'm helping a friend with his MG1. I think its the regulator that is leaking. I have experience opening steyrs and FWB's but not Matchguns. Can someone please tell me where to start and what usually is the damage?

I would appreciate your help.

Thanks

Ron
Jcortiz

Post by Jcortiz »

Let me check the parts number
Last edited by Jcortiz on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jcortiz

Post by Jcortiz »

Well if its the mg1e then you will find an allen screw on the lower part of the trigger guard card holder(the black part were is located the on/off switch. Remove that screw and you will find a silver cap with 2 holes ,unscrew it and take care because you will find a washer spring, dont miss the order of the washers as they act like a spring on tension. There you will find oring 1032 (4.5x2mm). Now you will find a valve cap 1030, uncrew it and you will find gasket 1034. Both the oring and the gasket can be ordered to matchguns. Stefano its always fast answering emails and fast shipping the orders. Good luck my friend
ronpistolero

Post by ronpistolero »

Thanks for the info!. Fixed it.
PFribley

Post by PFribley »

Recently obtained a MG1 air pistol from gunbroker. This one is from 2002. Didn't have a fill adapter. Got one from Stefano at MG in Italy. Good service by the way. The first time I screwed the air tank in it held air for 3 or 4 seconds then started leaking. Screwed out the tank. Part of the o ring was on the male protrusion of the tank. I tore the o ring screwing it in. So this thread came in handy. Ordered the 7x1.5 o ring from McMaster-Carr. Got 100 of them for $3.64.The type I got were titled abrasion resistant. Got the part of the old o ring out ok. After maybe 4 tries with a wood chop stick and silicon lube the new one went in. Not all that bad. Pell gun oil or silicon grease on that male protrusion each time you screw in the air tank should make the o ring last a long time. By the way. Its a fine shooting pistol.
Now I need to check with the MG people to see what up grades are available for this 14 year old gun.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

PFribley wrote:Pell gun oil or silicon grease on that male protrusion each time you screw in the air tank should make the o ring last a long time.
Just keep silicon grease off of metal-to-metal threads.