Hammerli 104 Olympic Free Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
MrGadget

Hammerli 104 Olympic Free Pistol

Post by MrGadget »

I've inherited a Hammerli 104 Olympic Free Pistol, purchased new in the 1960's. What's it worth, and where could I get a good price for it. It is like new in the original case with all the little tools and related bits that come in the compartment. Can't find any printed material for it, though.

Edit - I'm in Central Indiana, USA.
rigwhanson

Re: Hammerli 104 Olympic Free Pistol

Post by rigwhanson »

There is one available at Larrys Guns 98% condition with accessories $1399
RGw
ruig

Post by ruig »

Off-topic:

Why old European stuff so expensive in US?
1250 Euros for old Hämmerli. I would not give 100€ for it. 1000% import tax?
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Collector's condition in Europe (there is a small market for free pistols, and for Hammerli pistols) would fetch maybe € 400, if complete with case, manual etc. and in mint condition. Otherwise Ruig is right. Otoh, the US market seems quite crazy in this regard.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

rigwhanson wrote:There is one available at Larrys Guns 98% condition with accessories $1399
This may be on consignment (Larry is selling it for the owner). If so, the owner sets the price, not Larry, and the price may be totally out of touch with reality.

I have a 2014 "blue book" of used gun values. It lists the Hammerli 104 at $760 in "100%" condition, i.e. unfired. "98%," which would be pristine but fired, is only $660. I think they typically quote prices for the pistol only, so the box and accessories would go on top of that. To give you another data point, they claim a Toz 35 in 98% condition is worth $1300, which is absurd. You can buy one with the case and all (but an unfinished grip) for under $500.

The market (and supply) in the US for free pistols of any flavor is very small, so the prices can vary a lot. Apparently there is some recent interest in them for rimfire silhouette shooting.

My guess (for what it's worth) is that a "fair" price would be $750 to $850. Unless you got lucky and find a collector who is desperate for one, I really doubt you could get any more than $800 for it.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

ruig wrote:Off-topic:

Why old European stuff so expensive in US?
1250 Euros for old Hämmerli. I would not give 100€ for it. 1000% import tax?
Limited supply perhaps? Kind of a niche product. I would probably go 300 Euro as a curio.
Image Image
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

There is sometimes at "gun shops" a crazy mark up on target guns. They don't always know what they are worth themselves.

My son saw an Anschutz 1413 from the 60s at a Cabelas for almost $2,000 . Not worth $500.

Also don't forget there is a difference between bid price and ask price. Larry's can ask whatever they want but if no one pays that, it is over priced. It is the bid that sets the market price. Also there may be some crazy fool who thinks it looks cool and will pay up.
MrGadget

Post by MrGadget »

Gwhite wrote:This may be on consignment (Larry is selling it for the owner). If so, the owner sets the price, not Larry, and the price may be totally out of touch with reality.

I have a 2014 "blue book" of used gun values. It lists the Hammerli 104 at $760 in "100%" condition, i.e. unfired. "98%," which would be pristine but fired, is only $660. I think they typically quote prices for the pistol only, so the box and accessories would go on top of that. To give you another data point, they claim a Toz 35 in 98% condition is worth $1300, which is absurd. You can buy one with the case and all (but an unfinished grip) for under $500.

The market (and supply) in the US for free pistols of any flavor is very small, so the prices can vary a lot. Apparently there is some recent interest in them for rimfire silhouette shooting.

My guess (for what it's worth) is that a "fair" price would be $750 to $850. Unless you got lucky and find a collector who is desperate for one, I really doubt you could get any more than $800 for it.
gwsb wrote:Also don't forget there is a difference between bid price and ask price. Larry's can ask whatever they want but if no one pays that, it is over priced. It is the bid that sets the market price. Also there may be some crazy fool who thinks it looks cool and will pay up.
Thanks for the info...I hadn't considered the listing at Larry's (which I'd seen before) might be on consignment...it's been posted for quite some time. I don't quite follow the reasoning for a value drop if it's been fired...sure if it's had thousands of rounds through it but why does a few rounds take away 15%? Aren't they all test fired when they're made for liability reasons, especially low production items like these?

Yes, I understand bid vs. ask...just figured if Larry is the go-to Hammerli guy he'd know the market I guess. I may have a buyer at $700...sounds like I need to take that offer.