Choice of Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
SlartyBartFast

Re: Choice of Pistol

Post by SlartyBartFast »

45ACP223 wrote:Besides, if you end up shooting competitively (bullseye), ...
Now, not wanting to upset the forum by referencing anything other than "Olympic" pistol competitions, you bring up something else that has bothered me slightly.

I haven't really delved into what the competition scene is like outside just trying to practice and out do my own performance or competing in club matches. But I have started reading rules and such and now realise that with a "cheaper" pistol that will have a 10-rnd magazine I can plink, practice, and shoot with friends using 10 rnds. Load five for ISSF type events, load 6 for others.

But if I buy a very expensive Olympic style pistol, I'll be limited to 5 shots and ISSF style competition only.

Should I be concerned about this?
45ACP223 wrote:This is all just my opinion and you know how much opinions are worth! Hah! So buy the best you can afford based on your current skill level, and where you dream to be down the road. Best of luck to you!
Every opinion is worth considering. Thanks.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
jerber

Post by jerber »

SlartyBartFast wrote:
45ACP223 wrote:Besides, if you end up shooting competitively (bullseye), ...
Now, not wanting to upset the forum by referencing anything other than "Olympic" pistol competitions, you bring up something else that has bothered me slightly.

I haven't really delved into what the competition scene is like outside just trying to practice and out do my own performance or competing in club matches. But I have started reading rules and such and now realise that with a "cheaper" pistol that will have a 10-rnd magazine I can plink, practice, and shoot with friends using 10 rnds. Load five for ISSF type events, load 6 for others.

But if I buy a very expensive Olympic style pistol, I'll be limited to 5 shots and ISSF style competition only.

Should I be concerned about this?.
Not really
If you are competing in ISSF events or bullseye
5 shots magazines is all you need
You can always buy more magazines
When I started with the Ruger I always load 5 round in each magazines
Now if you are into plinking and fun then just get an affordable pistol like the Ruger/SW victory 22
After a while you'll be able to know what you are looking for in a competition pistol
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

Well, I picked up my new (to me) GSP Expert and shot it yesterday, maybe 200 rounds. First time I have ever handled or shot any Olympic pistol. I am not a real good shooter, but shooting one handed at 25 yard on a B8 target, it was the first time I have ever shot a 100, and the first time I have ever been able to shoot more than 10 rounds without a least one outside the 8 ring. It think its either a placebo affect or its the ergonomics of the gun? The heavy barrel seems to help the occasional jerk than I think is what creates the flyer. In any case, I'm pretty happy with it. Will likely get a couple of the 10 round mags, not used to 5 rounds.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Though I'd come back to this thread and thank everyone for their input.

I posted an update over on another thread about choosing a first .22lr pistol:
http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... 66#p258066
- FAS SP607
PFribley

Post by PFribley »

It would be nice if Match Guns had an agent here in the states. Then you would have another choice. And I might have a new MG2 standard pistol to have fun with!!!!
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

SlartyBartFast wrote:Though I'd come back to this thread and thank everyone for their input.

I posted an update over on another thread about choosing a first .22lr pistol:
http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... 66#p258066
Do keep us posted on how well the "Victory" model works for you. With the relatively small ejection port, it is likely to be fussy about what ammo it prefers. Early reviews of pre-production models indicated that it will work well with a wide variety of ammo, but the final production versions may be a bit different.

Don't panic if it has functioning issues right out of the box. Many less expensive .22's like a bit of a break-in period to smooth up the little burrs they didn't clean up before assembly. Some manufacturers even recommend a diet of high velocity ammo for the first 500 rounds.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

PFribley wrote:It would be nice if Match Guns had an agent here in the states. Then you would have another choice. And I might have a new MG2 standard pistol to have fun with!!!!
Want one in Canada first!

Seems to relatively straight forward to import them from Europe though.
- FAS SP607
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Gwhite wrote: Do keep us posted on how well the "Victory" model works for you. With the relatively small ejection port, it is likely to be fussy about what ammo it prefers.
Well with plastic #4 wall anchors even pulling the bolt back slowly results in the wall anchor being thrown forward and out.
So between that and positive reviews I figure as long as the cartridge can cycle the bolt back I expect the casing will be thrown well clear.
I've read a number of promising reviews with owners reporting that the casings are thrown so far forward that they end up downrange and no cleanup required.
I've got 100 cnt boxes of Winchester super X, CCI std, CCI minimag, and Sellier&Bellot std in my ammunition bin to try.
Found a local store that even had Eley pistol match in stock. But don't think I'm in a rush to try them at $23 for 50.
- FAS SP607