Steyr EVO 10... Pfffft, but no pellet shot?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mtl_Biker

Steyr EVO 10... Pfffft, but no pellet shot?

Post by Mtl_Biker »

I've put over 2,500 pellets through my EVO 10 in the less-than-two-weeks that I've owned it, and it's starting to give me trouble...

Several times now, while shooting suddenly a shot makes the pffft noise (very muted, but louder than a dry fire noise) and the pellet remains in the breach and doesn't fire. This is usually preceded by a shot that sounds very under-powered and indeed the shot falls far below the aim point. I cock the pistol and try again, several times, but the pellet never fires and I just get a very muted pffft noise. I remove the air cylinder (anywhere from half to almost full charge) and put it back on. Then sometimes the gun fires and sometimes it doesn't. Jiggling the cocking lever and shooting several times eventually returns the gun to normal.

What could be wrong? What could I check? Any ideas?

Frustrated in Montreal...
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
william

Re: Steyr EVO 10... Pfffft, but no pellet shot?

Post by william »

"...but the pellet never fires and I just get a very muted pffft noise."

I hear that's true of Rover also, except for the "very muted" part.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Mtl_Biker wrote:I've put over 2,500 pellets through my EVO 10 in the less-than-two-weeks that I've owned it, and it's starting to give me trouble...

Several times now, while shooting suddenly a shot makes the pffft noise (very muted, but louder than a dry fire noise) and the pellet remains in the breach and doesn't fire. This is usually preceded by a shot that sounds very under-powered and indeed the shot falls far below the aim point. I cock the pistol and try again, several times, but the pellet never fires and I just get a very muted pffft noise. I remove the air cylinder (anywhere from half to almost full charge) and put it back on. Then sometimes the gun fires and sometimes it doesn't. Jiggling the cocking lever and shooting several times eventually returns the gun to normal.

Drape a piece of tissue over the breech. If it goes flying, the breech seal isn't sealing. Your barrel may have slipped forward. See Steyr's videos on how to adjust this. (I'm assuming this the same as with an LP-10).
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

If removing and replacing the cylinder sometimes results in it firing normally maybe the regulator is sticking?
Rover

Post by Rover »

William, that's known as the "raspberry" or "Bronx Cheer."

You rate one.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

wasatch wrote:If removing and replacing the cylinder sometimes results in it firing normally maybe the regulator is sticking?
Is the regulator in the cylinder or the pistol itself?

I'm going to mark the cylinders (2 of them) and try to see if it's happening with both or only one.
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

Gwhite wrote:
Mtl_Biker wrote:I've put over 2,500 pellets through my EVO 10 in the less-than-two-weeks that I've owned it, and it's starting to give me trouble...

Drape a piece of tissue over the breech. If it goes flying, the breech seal isn't sealing. Your barrel may have slipped forward. See Steyr's videos on how to adjust this. (I'm assuming this the same as with an LP-10).
I just changed cylinders, in an effort to see if the problem occurs with both or only one of them. And the problem was there immediately, so it's not the cylinder. I THINK the tissue I put on top of the breech did flutter a bit on the first shot, but on the next shots there was barely any pfffft at all, and the tissue didn't move at all.

Off to try to find a video on adjusting the barrel. But I would really like to know that this is the problem before proceeding.
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
william

Post by william »

Rover wrote:William, that's known as the "raspberry" or "Bronx Cheer."

You rate one.
Only one? I'm hurt!
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

Okay, I've determined that this happens with both cylinders. And I've tightened the barrel in the way the Steyr videos show for the LP10 (seems the same on the EVO 10).

Problem is STILL there.

Any ideas on what else to check/adjust?
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
william

Post by william »

Mtl_Biker wrote:Okay, I've determined that this happens with both cylinders. And I've tightened the barrel in the way the Steyr videos show for the LP10 (seems the same on the EVO 10).

Problem is STILL there.

Is this a good idea? Take it back where you bought it, and let them sort it out.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

william wrote:
Mtl_Biker wrote:Okay, I've determined that this happens with both cylinders. And I've tightened the barrel in the way the Steyr videos show for the LP10 (seems the same on the EVO 10).

Problem is STILL there.

Is this a good idea? Take it back where you bought it, and let them sort it out.
I'm in Canada and bought from Krale in Europe. And shipping it back and forth is a REAL hassle. My pistol was held at the border for over 3 weeks before it was released. Also Krale ONLY ships by regular mail to Canada (unlike to the States where they use UPS) and our Canada Post has just started a strike which may last a LONG time. SIGH
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
william

Post by william »

Mtl_Biker wrote:
william wrote:

Problem is STILL there.

I'm in Canada and bought from Krale in Europe. And shipping it back and forth is a REAL hassle. My pistol was held at the border for over 3 weeks before it was released. Also Krale ONLY ships by regular mail to Canada (unlike to the States where they use UPS) and our Canada Post has just started a strike which may last a LONG time. SIGH
Welcome to the wonderful world of the Gray Market! Did you talk to the folks at Cibles? Was their price too high, or did you just have to have it before there was any local support?

Chickens, meet roost.
hundert

Post by hundert »

1. The breech must close with "a lot" of force. If it closes too lightly it doesn't seal well.
2. Increase the velocity screw. It may have turned by itself. There's a little screw to unlock the velocity screw and then lock it again. See the manual. I had this particular problem and the way you know it's turned is the gun became more quiet and the pellets hit lower.
3. Only use lead pellet, preferably 4.49.

Also, who exactly did the Canadian speed limit thing on your gun? Was it Steyr?
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Mtl_Biker wrote:Jiggling the cocking lever and shooting several times eventually returns the gun to normal.
Do you feel the gun recoiling and are the breech o-rings in good shape?
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

If a "Steyr expert" within the Canadian Customs had a fiddle it may explain your present dilemma.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

on a similar occasion i experienced with a teammate LP10 the culprit was the regulator. when i inserted my wifes lp10 regulator it shot ok. with original reg it would go pfff or not pfff at all for most of the time.
and on a similar occasionn of a teammate with FWB P34 the culprit was the valve seal. when i exchanged it for one i had which was worn but functional it fired away.

perhaps a teammate will lend you his/her reg to test.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

hundert wrote:1. The breech must close with "a lot" of force. If it closes too lightly it doesn't seal well.
2. Increase the velocity screw. It may have turned by itself. There's a little screw to unlock the velocity screw and then lock it again. See the manual. I had this particular problem and the way you know it's turned is the gun became more quiet and the pellets hit lower.
3. Only use lead pellet, preferably 4.49.

After speaking with the Global Sales Manager for Steyr before my purchase, he recommended that Krale would be able to adjust the pistol for me and that's what happened. It was Gerrit Krale himself who did the work. I do not suspect him of any improper technique/work. It's probably just the luck of the draw.

I just checked and adjusted the velocity... with JSB Match Pistol pellets (think they're 7.33gr) the pistol was shooting at 512 fps. I increased it to 530. Won't have a chance to do any shooting now until after 5pm at the end of my work day.
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

kevinweiho wrote:
Mtl_Biker wrote:Jiggling the cocking lever and shooting several times eventually returns the gun to normal.
Do you feel the gun recoiling and are the breech o-rings in good shape?
There's really no recoil to speak of with this pistol, but the o-rings look in good shape. At least the one I can see where I insert the pellet. The moving part of the action must have an o-ring as well, but it's really hard to see. I do not think it's the o-rings. (Otherwise the problem would be much more consistent.)

Is the regulator in the pistol, or in the air cylinders?
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

ghostrip wrote:on a similar occasion i experienced with a teammate LP10 the culprit was the regulator. when i inserted my wifes lp10 regulator it shot ok. with original reg it would go pfff or not pfff at all for most of the time.
and on a similar occasionn of a teammate with FWB P34 the culprit was the valve seal. when i exchanged it for one i had which was worn but functional it fired away.

perhaps a teammate will lend you his/her reg to test.
I do not know anyone with an EVO... not even anyone with an LP-10. Is the regulator in the pistol itself or in the cylinders?
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

regulator is on the body of the gun. from the exploded diagrams and what i have seen in pictures only the evo10 probably uses the same regulator as the LP10. hope you repair your air pistol and enjoy shooting it