Steyr Pistol Serial Number questions

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
DFWdude

Steyr Pistol Serial Number questions

Post by DFWdude »

Does anyone here know how to decipher the six-digit serial numbers on the Steyr 10m pistols. I believe all have "7" as their first digit... what it means I have no idea, but I am curious. And I'd like to know what numbers are the actual production number (order produced). Sometimes the serial number indicates the year produced as well as the actual production number.

I'm asking because I have one of the original "CO2 Match" pistols (now called the LP1P), purchased new in June 1991 from a member of the US Shooting Team. It's serial number is 701027, so I'd like to know if it is the 27th pistol produced, or the 1027th.

I have written to Steyr in Austria to ask these questions. Just thinking someone here already has the answers.

Any help appreciated.
hundert

Re: Steyr Pistol Serial Number questions

Post by hundert »

three digits for the number of pistols would be too low, so yeah, it's one thousand twenty seven. Also considering it came out in 1989 and yours was bought two years later, it's highly unlikely that it is number 27.

Steyr will not be able to help you, as I have asked them a similar question about the age of my pistol and the response was "we don't have any of the older pistols in our database"

The first 2 digits in a serial number mean
70... CO2 pistols
71... PCP (says Steyr Air near the cylinder)

My pistol is 706xxx. Is it possible to see a picture of your pistol? The early ones were different! Pyzhianov who set the world record in 1989 did it with a Steyr like yours and the record held til 2009. You shouldn't have Steyr Compensator written on the barrel shroud and no compensator holes like later models. Also the earliest models didn't have the rear sight width adjustment.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Just email Steyr, they will tell you the year of manufacture of a particular serial number (they did this for me a year or so ago, no problem).

http://www.steyr-sport.com/index.php/en/contact

BTW, LP1P is the first of the compressed air versions, that's what the P means. The first CO2 pistols didn't have compensators but you could upgrade with a new shroud, this happened quite early in production and well before compressed air. So, don't assume that your pistol is in it's original configuration, lots of people upgraded the shroud (and to compressed air).
Last edited by j-team on Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hundert

Post by hundert »

@j-team

they won't, I did email them last year and the response was they don't have old pistols in their database. Mine is probably from mid 90s and they don't have it.
j-team

Post by j-team »

hundert wrote:@j-team

they won't, I did email them last year and the response was they don't have old pistols in their database. Mine is probably from mid 90s and they don't have it.
Ok, maybe that's only available for pistols made after they split from parent company?
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

j-team wrote: BTW, LP1P is the first of the compressed air versions, that's what the P means.
I have heard directly from Steyr on this. Steyr has labelled my CO2 Match as an LP1-P, the "P" meaning "Prototype." ie, before the name change from CO2 Match to LP1. It has always shot with CO2.
j-team wrote:The first CO2 pistols didn't have compensators but you could upgrade with a new shroud, this happened quite early in production and well before compressed air. So, don't assume that your pistol is in it's original configuration, lots of people upgraded the shroud (and to compressed air).
It's not in its original configuration, because all the changes were done by myself. I mentioned in my first post that I bought in brand NEW. It still shoots CO2, and I have a collection of steel and aluminum (long and short) cylinders to go with it.
Last edited by DFWdude on Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

hundert wrote:three digits for the number of pistols would be too low, so yeah, it's one thousand twenty seven. Also considering it came out in 1989 and yours was bought two years later, it's highly unlikely that it is number 27.
This helps, thanks. Although I'm not quite sure. As mentioned, this pistol was purchased new from a shipment of pistols sold earlier to the US Shooting Team. While I bought mine in mid 1991, I'm almost sure it is of 1990 production. Hence my thought that the "0" might be the production year.

When I bought it, Steyr APs were NOT generally available to the public yet. There were no US dealers at that time.

Notice the "Steyr CO2 Match" branding on the left side of the frame.
hundert wrote: My pistol is 706xxx. Is it possible to see a picture of your pistol? The early ones were different! Pyzhianov who set the world record in 1989 did it with a Steyr like yours and the record held til 2009. You shouldn't have Steyr Compensator written on the barrel shroud and no compensator holes like later models. Also the earliest models didn't have the rear sight width adjustment.
Well, mine was shot in stock configuration only a month or so. It most definitely came with the original shroud without compensator holes (which came YEARS later). I have the original packaging, instruction booklet (everything labeled Steyr CO2 Match) and all the factory parts. The original black barrel shroud and factory front sight looks essentially new.

The muzzle compensator is my design. And my pistol has the non-adjustable rear sight blades. I have several extra interchangeable blades of various width notches.
Attachments
Steyr1.jpg
HollowBolt.jpg
Last edited by DFWdude on Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.
hundert

Post by hundert »

lucky you... I've always wanted to own the earliest model, but they're rare (and still expensive).
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

hundert wrote:Steyr will not be able to help you, as I have asked them a similar question about the age of my pistol and the response was "we don't have any of the older pistols in our database"
I received an email response from Steyr today. Indeed, they do not have records for the early pistols and can't provide any information. I wish companies hoping to be successful would think (equally) far enough ahead to keep adequate records.
j-team

Post by j-team »

DFWdude wrote:I received an email response from Steyr today. Indeed, they do not have records for the early pistols and can't provide any information. I wish companies hoping to be successful would think (equally) far enough ahead to keep adequate records.
Have you tried Steyr Mannlicher: https://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/en/company/

The Steyr Sport brand didn't split off until about 2001, so maybe Steyr Mannlicher have records up to that date?
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

j-team wrote:
DFWdude wrote:I received an email response from Steyr today. Indeed, they do not have records for the early pistols and can't provide any information. I wish companies hoping to be successful would think (equally) far enough ahead to keep adequate records.
Have you tried Steyr Mannlicher: https://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/en/company/

The Steyr Sport brand didn't split off until about 2001, so maybe Steyr Mannlicher have records up to that date?
GOOD Idea. Thanks. I have left them an info. request.