New Steyr EVO 10... HELP!!!

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gwhite

Re: New Steyr EVO 10... HELP!!!

Post by Gwhite »

Mtl_Biker wrote:Is the rake adjustment something personal or is there a rule of thumb for it? And yes, you are probably correct in that the rake angle was too small thus causing the rear sight to bump against the grip. I solved that by moving the rear sight backward, but maybe I should have left it where it was and increased the rake angle. Pro's and Con's?
Rake is mostly personal. If I shoot with too much rake, it hurts my elbow, so I need to shoot with grips that are more vertical than is common.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

I'm finding the manual with the EVO 10 to be rather skimpy. It's certainly not geared to newcomers to the sport.

For example, there's no clue given as to the number of shots per charge of a cylinder, or how to tell when you need to recharge. I'll probably have to chrony a whole cylinder just to get an idea. I think on the Steyr website it says that about 200 shots are possible, but they're talking about the standard pistol, not the compact with its smaller cylinder. I'm getting about 110 shots before the gauge is pinned at the bottom end of the green. Are the shots regulated on this pistol? Should the performance be the same throughout most of the fill? I feel that the sound of the shot is different with a full cylinder than with an almost empty one. I haven't yet kept shooting until I couldn't anymore... maybe I should as I chrony it.

Any tips you can share that a newcomer like myself probably isn't aware of?

Thanks very much.
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Silvershooter

Post by Silvershooter »

I have a LP10 Compact. I shot 90 pellets at my club then chrono'd the next few as follows:
91 161.7 ms
92 162.2
93 161.3
94 159.5
95 158.2
96 155
97 154.6
99 151.4
100 150.1

This is with RWS R10 4.49 pistol weight 7gr pellets, starting with 200bar, the gauge needle on the line between green and red.
So 92 safe shots I would say. I normally get 159 - 160 ms.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

Silvershooter wrote:I have a LP10 Compact. I shot 90 pellets at my club then chrono'd the next few as follows:
91 161.7 ms
92 162.2
93 161.3
94 159.5
95 158.2
96 155
97 154.6
99 151.4
100 150.1

This is with RWS R10 4.49 pistol weight 7gr pellets, starting with 200bar, the gauge needle on the line between green and red.
So 92 safe shots I would say. I normally get 159 - 160 ms.
Very helpful. Thanks.

So the gun isn't regulated I take it?
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Silvershooter

Post by Silvershooter »

So the gun isn't regulated I take it?
Yes, it has a regulator, but for some reason there is a small variation in MV.
The Matchguns MGH 1 is supposed to have the best regulator of any PCP AP.
Rover

Post by Rover »

ALL PCPs have a rather wide variance in velocity.

SSPs don't. Go figure.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Rover wrote:ALL PCPs have a rather wide variance in velocity.

SSPs don't. Go figure.
Got any numbers to prove that? If all you do is crank & shoot, I suspect they are quite good. However, when you compress the air, it gets warm. The longer you wait, the more the temperature will drop. If you abort the shot a few times, i suspect the velocity will not be as consistent.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Sure I do. Just do a search on TT.

But the NRA tested a SSP a while back. Two FPS velocity spread.

I'm sure a few others might ring in on this subject.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The problem with typical tests is that they probably don't replicate real world shooting. If you load & shoot an SSP and every shot is in the same time frame, it should be pretty good. What I'm wondering is what happens to the velocity if you let one sit of a bit.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Gwhite wrote:What I'm wondering is what happens to the velocity if you let one sit of a bit.
I would have to agree with Rover that the velocities of SSP’s are very consistent. If you were to leave a pumped pistol/rifle for longer than 5 minutes, air will be escaping from the chamber in front of the pump head. That’s more than enough time for any shooter to abort and realign their sights. A SSP only generates a small amount of heat vs. the MSP’s that will have velocity fluctuations.
Pheyden

Post by Pheyden »

Mtl_Biker

You are unfortunately suffering from "new-itis". I believe your first order should be to get on the internet and start reading. Read up up adjusting not only the "rake" of the grip but also finding a natural point of aim, which may require some change in the left/right orientation of the pistol (by changing the horizontal grip adjustment.

You must realize that the grip is not a "sacred item" and that sooner or later it WILL get modified because it is very rare that it will fit a shooter's hand straight out of the box. Get on the internet and read about grip pressure and what parts of the hand should grip, and more importantly what parts of the hand should NOT grip ( or put pressure on the grip).

The other thing I would sincerly suggest is that you read the manual that came with the pistol, as it covers some of these items.

By buying the latest and greatest you are diving in the pool from the high dive platform, perhaps not knowing how deep the pool is. That's OK, as it is generally referred to as the "school of hard knocks" method.

Once you get it up and firing, you could join our 10M Pistol Competition League for a competitive environment. You also might consider using a personal coach. I would highly recommend my coach who does remote coaching via Skype (she is located in Australia). I know this sounds wird, but it really works quite well.

On the PILKGUNS site, the forum sponsor, you will find much useful information.

Good shooting