Recommended pistol for a novice

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
MKDude

Recommended pistol for a novice

Post by MKDude »

Hi, any recommendations on a pistol for a novice taking part in 10m target competitions?

Thanks
Rover

Re: Recommended pistol for a novice

Post by Rover »

Bwaaahaahaa haaa!
mikeyj

Post by mikeyj »

Ignore the man behind the curtain. What kind of competition, and what's your budget?
MKDude

Post by MKDude »

Thanks mikeyj NSRA RULES 10m Pistol, mainly club and postal comps. Just starting out but need something to concentrate/focus on.
Sorry probably more appropriate for the Olympic pistol group.

Budget of about £700 - 800.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

MKDude wrote:Thanks mikeyj NSRA RULES 10m Pistol, mainly club and postal comps.
Can I suggest that you should put your location in your profile as most of the contributors here are in the USA.

For those not in the UK, any ISSF compliant 10m pistol will also comply with NSRA rules.

What are the other members of your club using? Can you persuade some of the members to let you try their pistols (most shooters would jump at the chance).

It's very early days for you but you might still find some guns suit you better than others.

You'll probably be looking at a second-hand gun at that price. Try to stick to one of the bigger names, Steyr/Morini/Walther/FWB and, if it turns out not to suit you in 6 months, you should be able to sell it on without losing too much.

Once you have decided on a gun you think you might like, place a request in the wanted section of the Stirton Forum (you will need to register). It's UK based so the replies you get will be more relevant.
MKDude

Post by MKDude »

Thanks David.
Since going to the local club I have mainly seen rifles for use at 10m.
I will open a couple of conversations at the club.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Feinwerkbau P30 or Walther LP300 are nice for that sort of budget if you're into high pressure air. Might be able to get a Morini 162E or Steyr LP-1 for a little bit more.
Image Image
jmdavis

Post by jmdavis »

When I purchased an older LP10 mechanical in the US last year, I paid the equivalent of 911£.

Are the IZH 46m's still available in Europe? What about used FWB 65's. Both are SSP, but my experience is that the 46M is extremely accurate.

Mike Davis
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

I think Rover has finally become completely unhinged. He has been well on his way for some time.

Any of the top names can be had in a good used compressed air model in your price range. Ignore the temptation to get an ssp and save a few coins. Trust me, you do not want to have to cock a pistol or rifle 60 times manually during a match.
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

gwsb wrote:....Trust me, you do not want to have to cock a pistol or rifle 60 times manually during a match.
If you are physically debilitated, a PCP would be useful. Otherwise, the above is bullshit.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

slofyr wrote:
gwsb wrote:....Trust me, you do not want to have to cock a pistol or rifle 60 times manually during a match.
If you are physically debilitated, a PCP would be useful. Otherwise, the above is bullshit.
Agree with gwsb
Disagree big time with slofyr

Why would you want the extra faffing about of having to crank the pistol for every shot.

Even if you don't want to buy your own scuba tank, most clubs in the UK will have air for you.

For the same (reverse) reason, don't go for CO2.
Rover

Post by Rover »

MKDude

Post by MKDude »

Thanks guys, a few to check out.
Rover

Post by Rover »

hundert

Post by hundert »

pistol doesn't matter if you're starting out.
Your preferences will only be visible after you consistently put half of your shots into the 10 (equals the score of 570). Here you already know how to shoot a ten and it's here that you experiment with grips and do a pellet test etc.

I would recommend a used Steyr for the money. It has a great weight and balance. If you can get a used cheap Feinwerkbau 100, 102, 103 then you can't do nothing wrong with them either.
PhatMan

Post by PhatMan »

Hello to All,

In the UK, with very few exceptions, there is no such thing as 'cheap' - the best we can do is 'less expensive'.

I am very pleased with my Baikal MP-46M (which incidentally is 'cheap' here !), but am very concerned about the lack of 'consumable' spares such as seals - they are not available in the UK.

I also use a Feinwerkbau 65 & Diana Model 10, and they are, for me, superb.

With these non PCP pistols, you do not have to shell out on tanks, valves etc., and they will take you up to very respectable scores.

As you progress, you may want to consider the PCPs, but first off they are not 'compulsory'.

Have fun & a good weekend :)

Best regards

Russ
MKDude

Post by MKDude »

Thanks all, I am going to bide my time, try a few club guns and ask for a try of other member guns before putting my hand in my pocket. Could end up being an expensive mistake if I rush into it.
yana

Post by yana »

For starters, Tau 7s are very hard to beat. Loads a sech CO2 top brands 4 sale too.
You can buy loadsa sec hand, but thats a risk of worn out seals and for competition, cilinders out of date.
Allthough yr budget is perfectly suitable for a (sech)pcp.
You can also look at cheaper pcps. (Tau mk8, Aeron Spider) but they lack the others reliability. (for Tau the experience with pcp)
But there are also Gehmann, SAM etc that may be cheaper than Steyr etc.
Best is to go to a good local dealer and feel for yrself what suits yóu best.
45ACP223

Post by 45ACP223 »

Or go even cheaper and get a Daisy 747, match barrel, slightly adjustable trigger. Here in the USA, you can buy new for about $250, or used for $135-150. That way you aren't out much money and can decide if you like the 10m game or not, while learning trigger control and sighting techniques. If you have the money, like others have said, buy Steyr, Morini, or Walther.
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

45ACP223 wrote:Or go even cheaper and get a Daisy 747, match barrel, slightly adjustable trigger. Here in the USA, you can buy new for about $250, or used for $135-150. That way you aren't out much money and can decide if you like the 10m game or not, while learning trigger control and sighting techniques. If you have the money, like others have said, buy Steyr, Morini, or Walther.

Is it possible to mount a red dot on the Daisy 747? Some articles say no, but there are pix with them on?