Morini CM84e Barrel Weights?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gwhite

Morini CM84e Barrel Weights?

Post by Gwhite »

I've dusted off my free pistol in preparation for the state Olympics in July, and I've been dry firing it a lot using a Noptel electronic trainer. The weight of the optical sensor unit that mounts under the barrel is about 100 grams. I went out last Thursday for my first live fire session, with no added weight, and the pistol seemed a lot less stable than when I've been dry firing.

So, it's possible that I could use a bit more weight out near the muzzle when I'm live firing. Morini makes a rod with a couple of sliding weights that clamps onto the barrel. The barrel weight set has a 45 gram clamp & rod, plus two 15 gram weights.

However, they don't seem to be a real popular item. Very few places sell them, and I couldn't find anyone in the USA that has then listed as a stock item. In addition, I don't recall seeing anyone in any of the videos of various finals that uses one. If nobody else competes with one, I'm thinking I will save my money.

Does anyone know of anyone who competes with a CM84e with added weight? I have a dim recollection that someone once stuck adhesive backed wheel weights on the bottom of the compensator. I also have an old style compensator, and the new long one adds some weight, although it's only about 25 grams.
David M

Re: Morini CM84e Barrel Weights?

Post by David M »

Most Free shooter want to reduce the weight not increase it.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Doesn't a bit of weight out front help to dampen wobble?

Bob
David M

Post by David M »

It may dampen the wobbles for a shot or two.
But over 60 shots fatigue will kill your total score.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Greetings- we use Morini and Steyr barrel weights on our Morini air pistols. We find that the Morini barrel weight that attaches under the pistol works best with regard to changing the balance and feel of the pistol in the hand, and it has limited effect (for us) with regard to controlling wobble at the end of the barrel. If barrel wobble is encountered we use the Steyr LP2 barrel weights on the Morini.

The under barrel weights are a great training tool with regard to developing and increasing strength, though.

When we cannot find the items necessary for our groups competition needs in the US we buy from Buinger GMBH:

http://www.schiesssport-buinger.de/shoo ... weight-70g
http://www.schiesssport-buinger.de/shoo ... -2-Compact

Cheers!
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

m1963 wrote:Greetings- we use Morini and Steyr barrel weights on our Morini air pistols.
That's common, but putting weights on a CM84E is a bit different.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

David Levene wrote:
m1963 wrote:Greetings- we use Morini and Steyr barrel weights on our Morini air pistols.
That's common, but putting weights on a CM84E is a bit different.
That's the real question. The CM84E already has a long, fairly heavy barrel (compared to an air pistol), with a moderately large compensator hanging off the front. I like the balance of the pistol, and have shot it in it's regular configuration for close to 20 years. The fact that you don't see weights in use in any of the finals videos I've watched tells me that the weight/balance of the pistol is already pretty good.

The only reason I'm even considering the weight issue is the apparent improvement in stability with the Noptel attached. I haven't studied this in any detail, it's just an impression at this point. Buying a weight set would allow me to study any possible improvement more carefully. If nothing else, training with the added weight of the Noptel should help build up my arm a bit faster.
Gort

Post by Gort »

When I added weight to my M84E, I put a 25 gram weight (steel) affixed with double sticky tape to the flat underside of the comp. It stayed fast until I removed it some years later.
Gort
Coolmeester

Post by Coolmeester »

I agree with gort. Go to nearest tire shop and buy some tire balancing weights with tape mounted in them. Works great under the compensator (flat surface) and costs about 0,2eur per piece.
Center-fire pistol
Standard pistol
Rapid fire pistol
Free pistol
Air pistol
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

My hope was to have something I could swap off easily when I use the Noptel, not a permanent addition to the weight. I checked with one US dealer, and he quoted a price of $135 for the Morini weight set. For that much money, I think I will make my own.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Ya think?

$135 vs a buck or so...

I did the sticky wheel weights on my Pardini K58. Worked great.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Has anyone with a Morini tried the sticky weights under the compensator? I'm wondering about the added force from recoil on the mounting screws. Any issues observed?

I've run the numbers. I practice with the 100 gram Noptel sensor mounted as far back as I can. By mounting a smaller (~ 65 gram), removable weight near the muzzle, I can maintain the same balance when live firing, while increasing the moment of inertia by about 40%. I can either clamp the weight on the barrel just behind the compensator, or drill & tap some mounting holes in the bottom of the compensator itself.

If the added mass doesn't put undo strain on the compensator mounting screws & barrel, I can reduce the weight & move it even further forward.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Even easier and cheaper....wrap solder around the barrel. Endless permutations.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I've been planning on doing that to experiment, but eventually I'd like something I can pop on & off quickly for when I'm using the Noptel.

I'm also not sure how easy it is to get lead solder these days. I wish I'd hung onto some of the heavy plumbing stuff from my Dad's shop.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Maybe Andrew Berryhill can 3D print you one. He makes some for the TOZ, and it's a great way to play around with both total weight and placement.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Ricardo wrote:Maybe Andrew Berryhill can 3D print you one. He makes some for the TOZ, and it's a great way to play around with both total weight and placement.
Andrew & I have been working on it. I sent him my barrel dimensions, and the first one snaps onto the barrel very tightly. It would probably work fine for anyone who wants to leave it in place. I want to be able to easily remove it for when I practice with the added weight of the Noptel trainer sensor, and it's a bit tight for that. He thinks he can loosen it up a tiny bit so it is easy to remove, without being so loose that it bangs into the compensator from recoil.

He's headed off to Camp Perry for a week or so, and he'll work on a revised version when he returns.