Steyr EVO 10

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mtl_Biker

Steyr EVO 10

Post by Mtl_Biker »

Hello Everyone...

I'm a new member here and have been mostly shooting air rifles, including 10-meter competitions at my local club. I've had the chance to try several match pistols and found I liked them and really wanted to get into 10-meter air pistol shooting. I wanted something good, because I like quality and also because I want to know that any failings are MINE and not the gun's.

So I ordered a new Steyr EVO 10 (mechanical trigger) and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. :)

Does anyone here have one yet?

I'm curious about whether or not there is any tuning to be done on these guns for optimum results. Is the shot-to-shot consistency good out of the box? What's the usual velocity that these shoot at?

It'll be my first pistol (other than a toy Crossman P1377) and I'd appreciate any advice you could give this new owner. Is it like an air rifle where you really should clean the barrel immediately and probably polish and lube the trigger mechanism? I've read that this pistol works with 200/300 bar of pressure... is there some kind of adjustment to choose one or the other? I'm not equipped to fill more than about 200 bar. There's no owner's manual yet to be found for this model it seems.

Thanks for any comments.

Eldor
Montreal
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Silvershooter

Re: Steyr EVO 10

Post by Silvershooter »

Hi

I see you have the Evo Compact on order. I have a LP10 Compact, it's basically the same, the Evo has a redesigned loading port area and more room in the trigger area. There are new grip options that came with the Evo to accommodate longer fingers.

There is nothing you need do in terms of tuning. The velocity on mine out of the box is 159/160 ms. I found the velocity drops after 92 shots. The max on the gauge on the cylinder is 200 bar. I did not clean mine before shooting it, there will be card with a sample of 5 shots to show that the pistol is a good as it should be.

The manual for the LP10 can be found here

http://www.steyr-sport.com/images/flipb ... 0_c_en.pdf

Hope you enjoy it.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

Silvershooter wrote:Hi

I see you have the Evo Compact on order. I have a LP10 Compact, it's basically the same, the Evo has a redesigned loading port area and more room in the trigger area. There are new grip options that came with the Evo to accommodate longer fingers.

There is nothing you need do in terms of tuning. The velocity on mine out of the box is 159/160 ms. I found the velocity drops after 92 shots. The max on the gauge on the cylinder is 200 bar. I did not clean mine before shooting it, there will be card with a sample of 5 shots to show that the pistol is a good as it should be.

The manual for the LP10 can be found here

http://www.steyr-sport.com/images/flipb ... 0_c_en.pdf

Hope you enjoy it.
Thanks very much for commenting!

In hindsight maybe I should have given a bit more info about the gun I'm getting...

I'm in Canada and our gun laws (even with a license) are quite strict. Our limit for an air gun WITHOUT a Canadian license (PAL) is 500 fps / 152.4 m/s AND 4.2 foot pounds / 5.7 joules. Both the velocity and energy must be within those limits. Over that and a PAL is required for an air rifle, but for a pistol if it's over that limit, a RESTRICTED PAL (RPAL) is needed, and that's a whole heck of a lot of hassle. Extremely limiting with all kinds of requirements that then must be met. I have a PAL but not an RPAL and neither do I want to get one.

According to Steyr, the LP10 (and I assume the EVO as well) is the same all over the world EXCEPT for Canada. The guns sold in Canada are specifically de-tuned to meet the above limit and are stamped on the barrel with a "C" for Canada. I'm getting my EVO 10 from Europe and the dealer is de-tuning it for me and providing a certificate attesting to that fact.

So part of why I posted was to find out what the standard pistol does in terms of velocity and more importantly, consistency shot-to-shot, etc. I'm curious about exactly how much less powerful my gun will be than what you (and the rest of the world) have. Being de-tuned might actually improve the consistent shot count and for 10-meter paper targets, higher velocity isn't even needed. But I really wonder if there's any negative in terms of performance with the de-tuned gun. Guess I'll find out soon.

(Really funny that if the pistol is under that limit then NO LICENSE at all is required, but if over, even by a little bit, not just a PAL but an RPAL is needed.)
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Silvershooter

Post by Silvershooter »

152 ms will be fine, it will give you a few more shots per fill.
My compact at 159 ms with a 7 grain pellet = 4.22 ftlbs.

(These pesky laws)
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Mtl_Biker wrote:It'll be my first pistol (other than a toy Crossman P1377) and I'd appreciate any advice you could give this new owner. Is it like an air rifle where you really should clean the barrel immediately and probably polish and lube the trigger mechanism?
Out of the box, there is no need to clean or season the barrel. It has a special nickel plated finish which makes it practically maintanence free. The ball bearing mechanical trigger on the Steyr is one of the best there is on the market. It's not the typical airpistol where you'll need to polish and lube the trigger mechanism. On my LP10, I sparingly use FWB special grease on all the o-rings, cylinder threads, breech bolt, and cocking lever.
X10

Post by X10 »

As per Steyr FAQ: LP2 and LP50 are set to shoot 150ms. LP10 is set to shoot 155.

Other than the "c" stamped into your airgun noone will ever know the difference.

Happy shooting
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm glad to hear that there shouldn't be any downside to the de-tuned version of the pistol.

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas... I'm watching the tracking information several times a day to see if there are any changes. With any luck (depending on whether or not it's delayed at Canada Customs) I should have it this week.

Cheers!
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

kevinweiho wrote:
Mtl_Biker wrote:It'll be my first pistol (other than a toy Crossman P1377) and I'd appreciate any advice you could give this new owner. Is it like an air rifle where you really should clean the barrel immediately and probably polish and lube the trigger mechanism?
Out of the box, there is no need to clean or season the barrel. It has a special nickel plated finish which makes it practically maintanence free. The ball bearing mechanical trigger on the Steyr is one of the best there is on the market. It's not the typical airpistol where you'll need to polish and lube the trigger mechanism. On my LP10, I sparingly use FWB special grease on all the o-rings, cylinder threads, breech bolt, and cocking lever.
If I'm not mistaken, that "special grease" is simply a food-grade silicone grease. I picked some up at a scuba dive shop and it lasts forever! I always lube my o-rings with it. (As well as the special Gore waterproof "zipper" on my Rukka riding gear.)

ISSF World Cup here I come!!!!!! (In my dreams!)
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Mtl_Biker wrote:If I'm not mistaken, that "special grease" is simply a food-grade silicone grease. I picked some up at a scuba dive shop and it lasts forever! I always lube my o-rings with it. (As well as the special Gore waterproof "zipper" on my Rukka riding gear.
I also have silicone grease and I can assure you, it's not the same stuff...Don't use silicone grease on metal-to-metal contact surfaces.
Last edited by kevinweiho on Wed May 25, 2016 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

kevinweiho wrote:
Mtl_Biker wrote:If I'm not mistaken, that "special grease" is simply a food-grade silicone grease. I picked some up at a scuba dive shop and it lasts forever! I always lube my o-rings with it. (As well as the special Gore waterproof "zipper" on my Rukka riding gear.
I also have silicone grease and I can assure you, IT'S NOT the same stuff...Don't use silicone grease on metal-to-metal contact surfaces.
I was thinking of the o-rings when I mentioned silicone grease. Hmmm.. I see that you also put that "special" grease on "cylinder threads, breech bolt, and cocking lever". No, I wasn't going to put silicone grease on those parts, but I WOULD put it on o-rings.

Page 45 of the LP-10 manual (which I imagine is similar to the one for the EVO) says...

"During normal shooting the pistol is maintenance-free and need not be
greased. However, it is advisable to slightly grease the two O-rings in
the loading port and the O-ring at the threaded adaptor socket for the
propellant cylinder with a special lubricant (acid-free silicone grease)
every 1000 shots. This will increase the service life of the O-rings.
In addition, it is recommended to wipe the pistol with a soft cloth after
use. The visible metal parts may be slightly oiled from time to time with
a good gun oil. To clean the barrel shoot some dry (not greased) felt
pellets through the barrel."

No other mention of lubrication is mentioned in the manual.

But if there are metal-to-metal parts that need lube, I'd probably use a good moly. Do you think that would be wrong?

Thanks for your comments!
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

Mtl_Biker wrote:.... if there are metal-to-metal parts that need lube, I'd probably use a good moly....
Try Gun Butter on sliding and pivoting metal parts. You will not be disappointed.
http://tinyurl.com/h8e4mr7
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Mtl_Biker wrote: But if there are metal-to-metal parts that need lube, I'd probably use a good moly. Do you think that would be wrong?
Moly is great for the spring piston Weihrauch rifles that you have.

I would not recommend it since it’s messy and there is no high load galling (except for the cylinder threads) on the metal–to-metal contact parts of the EVO.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

slofyr wrote:
Mtl_Biker wrote:.... if there are metal-to-metal parts that need lube, I'd probably use a good moly....
Try Gun Butter on sliding and pivoting metal parts. You will not be disappointed.
http://tinyurl.com/h8e4mr7
I hadn't heard of Gun Butter before. Thanks for the link.

Kevin, if you don't like moly, how about Balistol? Just a wee bit on the moving parts. The Gun Butter mentioned earlier might be hard for me to get as I'm in Canada and often companies won't ship lubes across the border, and besides, that would probably add a LOT to the cost. I've got a ton of different lubes, and maybe there's something I already have that would work well.
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Rover

Post by Rover »

How about good ol' Three in One oil?

Whatever love affair you're having with your gun, it's only metal parts sliding together.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Mtl_Biker wrote:Kevin, if you don't like moly, how about Balistol? Just a wee bit on the moving parts.
I do like Moly, it depends on the gun and where I need to put it. Ballistol is a good choice for moving parts and safe on o-rings.
Last edited by kevinweiho on Fri May 27, 2016 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Rover wrote:How about good ol' Three in One oil?
The 3 in 1 is a petroleum distillate based oil, it will damage o-rings.
hundert

Post by hundert »

food grade silicone grease for the O-rings
ballistol for surface and visible moving parts, but don't lube anything inside

remove the barrel once a year and lube the part that goes into body with ballistol.
I even had some rust in there, that was easily wiped off with ballistol soaked cloth and it's looks as new again.

If you know you won't use your pistol for months, you can lube the inside of the barrel too,
but don't do that at any other occasion
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

kevinweiho wrote:
Mtl_Biker wrote:Kevin, if you don't like moly, how about Balistol? Just a wee bit on the moving parts.
I do like Moly, it depends on the gun and where I need to put it. Ballistol is a good choice for moving parts and safe on o-rings.
Thanks for the follow-up. I'll use Ballistol (because I have it) sparingly on metal moving parts but will use my food-grade silicone grease on o-rings.

Cheers!
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

hundert wrote:food grade silicone grease for the O-rings
ballistol for surface and visible moving parts, but don't lube anything inside

remove the barrel once a year and lube the part that goes into body with ballistol.
I even had some rust in there, that was easily wiped off with ballistol soaked cloth and it's looks as new again.

If you know you won't use your pistol for months, you can lube the inside of the barrel too,
but don't do that at any other occasion
Thank you for the good advice.

Unlikely I wouldn't use my pistol "for months"... Since October, when I got back into this sport/hobby, I've literally been shooting every morning before work and every evening after. And almost always at least a full 60-round match each time. (I'm hooked!) I'm also lucky, in that I've got the ability to do 10- and 20-meter shooting in my back warehouse when my staff aren't here. Good safe back stop also.

This may not be the time/place to talk about this, but I have found the same pleasure in target shooting that I get from riding motorcycles... I have a lot of stress in my life and when riding a motorcycle you simply cannot think about anything else, other than being safe and attentive. You cannot think about business, financial or other personal problems. So by riding I get a mental stress relief that I don't get when driving a car or doing other things. And I've found the same stress relief with shooting. All you concentrate on is your position, breathing, holding onto the target, trigger release, etc. No room for other stressful thoughts to intrude. So even if I'll never be a very good shot, it really doesn't matter because of the great relaxation I get from shooting.

Unlikely that I'll go longer than even one day without shooting (unless I'm off on a motorcycle tour somewhere).

Cheers!
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Ndp

Post by Ndp »

I'm also from Montreal and was thinking of also getting Steyr LP10E . Can you tell me how was your experience with your dealer in Europe? Did they suggest and test pellets to go with your Pistol? I often travelled to Germany and was thinking about bringing one back however if your experience has been good I may just order and save the hassle. Where did you order it from and was the price with shipping reasonable?
Thanks a lot for your help.
Ndp