SCATT...give up

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
conradin

SCATT...give up

Post by conradin »

Even with the help from SCATT USA live support, I gave up the borrowed MX-02. This is my THIRD try on SCATT: the original wired one, the wireless WS, and now the MX.

All of them function well, but for me who uses electronic trigger, it is very difficult to tune it right. We spent the entire morning (SCATTUSA and I) working to tune the MX, finally got the optics right, but the electronic trigger part still does not work correctly.
I ended up having double fire. It either feels the trigger but too sensitive, or not at all. For the record, on my Steyr LP10E, it finally registered at 3.6%. Double and Triple firing.

YMMV of course. It is an indispensable tool if you shoot mechanical trigger. They work well on Pardini even with the dry fire plug.
Silvershooter

Re: SCATT...give up

Post by Silvershooter »

Do you cock the pistol or just activate the electronic trigger ?
IIRC the last time I used a Scatt I had to discharge air to get it to work with a Morini electronic.
conradin

Post by conradin »

The whole point of the electronic trigger that I have is to not discharge air...or even cock. Alex from Scattusa told me that the trigger recognition of the MX is from both vibration and sound. So you can fire your pistol simply by tapping the cylinder if you want to. It can be extremely sensitive to the point that anything that is loose can be register as a firing. So it ended up not working for being too sensitive. The mere act of me moving my finger off the trigger guard to placing it on the trigger shoe ends up as a "firing". The trigger pull, another "firing". the click from the dry firing system, another "firing", the return of the trigger shoe....

But if I turn the sensitivity less, suddenly it would register nothing.

You really need a totally dedicated practice electronic trigger pistol in a totally controlled environment to make it work. Otherwise you can spend an hour just to get the sensitivity right and even a slight change in environment suddenly you will be double firing or not firing at all...again.

YMMV.
dronning

Post by dronning »

I'm curious if the trigger pressure sensor would help with detecting the actual shot? I would guess it has to be able to sense the release?

Good question for the folks at SCATT.

- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

dronning wrote:I'm curious if the trigger pressure sensor would help with detecting the actual shot? I would guess it has to be able to sense the release?
As far as I understand it the trigger pressure sensor does not sense the release.

In the past the only time that I had trouble getting a Scatt (USB version) to sense the release but not also all of the other noises was when the sensor wasn't firmly fixed to the cylinder. In my experience you can get away with a single layer of thin PVC insulation tape between the sensor mounting/band and the cylinder (to stop scratching). Any more and it messes up the vibrations too much. The sensor band must also be done up tight.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

It's somewhat the nature of the beast. I have two Noptels, one with the original mount, and one with the heavier live-fire mount. They work fine right out of the box with all of the air & free pistols I've used them with (Benelli Kite, Steyr LP 10, Morinini electrics (both free & air), Tau-7, Toz 35, PGP-75, Hammerli 160, etc). That's even with a piece of heatshrink tubing to avoid scratching the cylinder/barrel.

With a centerfire rifle, I have to block the sensor with my hand to avoid it going off with cocking vibration. I use 1 mil Kapton tape to avoid scratches, and that shouldn't damp things too much. With a plastic dry fire adapter installed, it won't always trigger/fire correctly with a light hammer (Jewell) and the heavier live-fire mount. The regular mount works fine, even with the light hammer hitting the plastic dry fire adapter. With the heavier mount, it works fine with a rifle with a more massive hammer (Geiselle).

I'm using the simpler "NOS Sport" software with the default sensitivity settings. The NOS 4 software has adjustable sensitivity, but I haven't had the time to play with that, and for now, I haven't needed to.
madmax

Post by madmax »

Hi,
I use an MX-02 on a Morini 162ei.
Trying to get it to work initially drove me up the wall!!! Felt like throwing it in the bin.

A friend with a mechanical 162 has no problems. Realised the "soft" click of the electronic trigger wasn't enough to set the sensor off, even with the sensor setting moved almost completely to the left.
The only way I can get it to work on the AP is to mount it on the solid part of the frame where the cylinder screws in. It won't work when mounted on the cylinder.
No problem with any other pistols, mechanical or electronic.
Needs a strong light to work reliably inside, LED spotlight is good. Works well outside, I regularly use it at 25m on the range.

Good luck with it. Once you have sorted it out you'll be fine.

Max.
j-team

Post by j-team »

conradin wrote:The whole point of the electronic trigger that I have is to not discharge air...or even cock. .
Just cock the thing and lower the lever I the dry fire position (for Steyr), not need to discharge air but you will get the full mechanical click, not just the solenoid.

Cocking the lever each shot is something that should be part of your shot routine anyway!
conradin

Post by conradin »

madmax wrote:Hi,
I use an MX-02 on a Morini 162ei.
Trying to get it to work initially drove me up the wall!!! Felt like throwing it in the bin.

A friend with a mechanical 162 has no problems. Realised the "soft" click of the electronic trigger wasn't enough to set the sensor off, even with the sensor setting moved almost completely to the left.
The only way I can get it to work on the AP is to mount it on the solid part of the frame where the cylinder screws in. It won't work when mounted on the cylinder.

Max.
That was also how Alex from SCATTUSA and I worked on, but since the MX has a wire, it cannot go all the way back. There is simply no space.
From all the posting I have seen so far is that the Morini162ei has some luck, but I have yet to find anyone else has luck on other brand.
madmax

Post by madmax »

Mount it SIDEWAYS on the frame. It is a flexible piece of equipment that doesn't need to be directly below the barrel!!!!
Then adjust the brass screws to get a hit on the target - that's what they are there for.
Once you have a hit on the target, move the shot to near the centre - figure 8 in the manual. This will need to be done every time you set up.
Shoot for GROUPS - not scores. It doesn't matter where the groups are located, as long as they don't drift too far apart - that will be caused by you!!
When you finish and go to the info page, it gives you a score relative to the groups being centred at 10.9

A bit fiddly to start with, but soon becomes second nature when setting up.

I have an older SCATT (on a floppy disc) that I have been using for about 10 years before I upgraded. The MX-02 is easier to set up, use and analyze. With the MX-02 I use the barrel inserts from the older version, and have no trouble setting up between 3 different pistols.