Pistol barrel harmonics?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
wasatch

Pistol barrel harmonics?

Post by wasatch »

Some posts about barrel weights on unshrouded pistols say they aren't advisable because they'd change the barrel harmonics. Is this really a concern given the short length of a pistol barrel?
mctrucky

Re: Pistol barrel harmonics?

Post by mctrucky »

Short answer : No

Longer answer : Absolutely Not.

The physics of this are probably quite interesting, but if the weights are fixed, then any effect will be consistent and change to impact point corrected by sight adjustment.
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

Dear Wasatch:

While I have zero experience with centerfire pistol accuracy with various weights installed on the barrel, I have done extensive testing with a couple of 22 LR pistols with various weights attached to the barrel and/or shroud/frame/attachments/whathaveyou.

while the primary objective of my test was ammo accuracy, reliability, and suitability for competition, as a side observation, I was able to determine that the pistols tested delivered x ring accuracy with most if not all, of the ammos tested irregardless of weights installed on the barrel, barrel shroud, or frame of the pistol. I did not do any testing with loose or unsecured weights though. I did notice a change of point of impact with the weights installed but differences in accuracy were not observed.

But do not take my word for it, in Gil Hebbards book, a pistol shooters treasury, there is a article where they took all the 22 lr pistols available and measured the accuracy delivered from a ransom rest. Mr Hebbard determined that all the pistols tested delivered acceptable accuracy and the differences between pistols were almost insignificant. Mr. Hebbard did test some pistols with muzzle brakes and measured a small decrease in accuracy although it was difficult to determine if the advantages of a muzzle brake in timed and rapid fire from reduce recoil were sufficient to accept the small decrease in accuracy for a experienced shooter.

bottom line is that I do not think you should worry about any loss of accuracy with weights installed on a 22 lr pistol. different point of impact, yes, but once zeroed, don't worry about it.

Regards,
Cranky
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

Sorry I didn't indicate air pistol in original post. Shooting such low power with a short barrel made me think the harmonics were a non-issue.
therider

Post by therider »

wasatch wrote:Sorry I didn't indicate air pistol in original post. Shooting such low power with a short barrel made me think the harmonics were a non-issue.
It should not be an issue with air pistol. Not the same with other "toys".
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

never thought about it with pistol but one thing I have learned in decades of shooting competition:

EVERYTHING MATTERS!
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Except for long-barrelled free pistols I'd say harmonics are simply not an issue for .22LR pistols.

The stiffness would be so high, the resonant frequencies would be so high the amplitude would be so low as to be irrelevant.

With a rifle until you can reliably put all your shots through the same hole at 50m you don't need to worry about barrel harmonics. Even in free pistol if the group is 20 times that size its within the x-ring and we're happy.
william

Post by william »

gwsb wrote:never thought about it with pistol but one thing I have learned in decades of shooting competition:

EVERYTHING MATTERS!
Sure, but most things don't matter enough to think about. Pistol shooting doesn't rely on the "Butterfly Effect." I'd venture that how much salt you put on your eggs at yesterday morning's breakfast will have more influence than barrel harmonics on this morning's pistol match.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

But William I had oatmeal for breakfast yesterday.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Was it lumpy?

Barrel harmonics might change, but it could be for the better. No one has set up your AP with "special" harmonics.