Question about "clicking"

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
NanoZ.

Question about "clicking"

Post by NanoZ. »

To the forum:

Some times shooting 10m air pistol, the pellet comes a little higher. correct with a click and it reaches a little low.

what to do?

It is more common to go a little low?

Nano
David Levene

Re: Question about "clicking"

Post by David Levene »

How much higher or lower are you talking about.

Where are the shots compared to where you called them.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Never chase your shots!

Put a target (card) behind the one you're shooting at. Look at it after you've fired 20 or 30 shots through it, THEN make a correction (if needed).
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

A typical match air pistol moves the impact by less than 1/3rd of a scoring ring per click. If you can tell the difference based on one shot, you shoot far better than anyone else here.
jerber

Post by jerber »

Here is something that I was told to do when I though my pistol needs adjusting
Turn 1 click then turn back 1 click
I know,sounds weird but it works sometimes
Then if it doesn't work adjust 1 click and see what happens
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Ed, what air pistol/pellet combination are you using? Once I have my sights set and they are grouping well with a particular brand and weight of pellets, I will not make any clicks unless the following group shots continue to shoot low or group elsewhere. Sometimes different batches of the same pellets require minor click adjustments.
dronning

Post by dronning »

Don't forget about the clicks in your head.

We did a blind test. We shot to confirm point of impact. Then while continuing to grip the AP we turned our head while someone else adjusted the sights not telling us what they did. The point of impact changed the amount and direction you thought it would. BUT during this exercise we also told the shooter the # of clicks and direction the sights were turned when in fact the sights were moved but put back to original position. Surprisingly the group moved in the direction we told the shooter for about 5-6 shots then the shots settled back to the original group location.

Rule,
Think you need 2 clicks - put 1 on the gun and 1 in your head.

- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
Linecutter

Post by Linecutter »

dronning wrote: We did a blind test. We shot to confirm point of impact. Then while continuing to grip the AP we turned our head while someone else adjusted the sights not telling us what they did. The point of impact changed the amount and direction you thought it would. BUT during this exercise we also told the shooter the # of clicks and direction the sights were turned when in fact the sights were moved but put back to original position. Surprisingly the group moved in the direction we told the shooter for about 5-6 shots then the shots settled back to the original group location.
That's really interesting. Did you ever write it up or publish it?
Rover

Post by Rover »

He did now!

Remember this thread in your own shooting.
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

Jim Owens http://www.jarheadtop.com has a similar theory on adjusting sight for high power service rifle shooting. He has a booklet for sale on his site called "The Big Lie".
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey
David M

Post by David M »

I play "click to centre" while i shoot. Remember a single click will not take you out of the ten ring.
Sights will be clicked every 3-6 shots based on my calling and also on the electronic targets the
mean impact point position.
If your sight are fairly good you find you end up moving in one or two clicks in any direction.
It helps with light and fatigue changes.