Scatt MX02 on shorter distances

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
philipelhage

Scatt MX02 on shorter distances

Post by philipelhage »

What is the shortest distance i can use the scatt mx02 for shooting 10 meter air pistol and 50 meter pistol
I used it on the actual distance (10 & 50 meters) and it worked perfect.
But when i try using it in my home at 2.5 meters it just wont calibrate. In preview mode i see the target but when i go to calibrate it doesn't seem to find the target so i can calibrate. I printed the targets for the shorter distances but should i print with or without the ring? or am i doing something else wrong?
David Levene

Re: Scatt MX02 on shorter distances

Post by David Levene »

Scatt's web site says "from 2.5 meters" so you are right on the lower limit.

Have you tried increasing the distance slightly to see if that works?
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Maybe at very short distances the sensor alignment needs to be adjusted upward, especially when mounted some distance below the barrel axis as with a PCP or CO2 pistols. Scatt sells a mount for this purpose for electronic targets: http://www.scatt.com/mount/56/mounting- ... adjusting/. Perhaps the same issue affects the MX-02.

Quote: Mounting prism with adjusting — used for fixing optical sensor on the barrel or gas cylinder. Allows you to change angle of optical sensor attachment relative to the axis of bore.
Relevant to training at a small distances to electronic target, to eliminate parallax.

Bob
philipelhage

Post by philipelhage »

Thank you for the replies. I have the mount. I got it with the scatt system. At 5 meters it seems to be working. But i do not have 5+ meters in my appartment that i can use for shooting regularly so i will try tomorrow again keeping in mind the information i received.
maddox987

Post by maddox987 »

Hi,

Did you manage to calibrate the MX-02 at 2.5m.

Thanks.
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

Keep in mind that the Scatt is smart enough to know what the target size should be at that range. So if you change target distances, you will need to scale the targets to accurately reflect this distance.
The downside to reduced scale targets is that your score it is not true because the pellet is not scaled down for this reduced distance. But if that reduced distance is all that you have, then you do it that way.
Let us know if you get it worked out.
maddox987

Post by maddox987 »

Dear SPPcoach,

Thank you for your prompt response.
I tried SCATT on the target meant for 2.5m and this was printed using the software itself.
The calibration doesn't show either the red arrow along the circumference or the cross hair, even though in the preview mode I can see the target.
I have also ensured that target is brilliantly lit and the sensor is adjusted/focussed to 2.5m.
Allow me to add that I successfully used my SCATT MX-02 system at 10m.

Am I missing something here ?

Thanks.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

SPPcoach wrote:Keep in mind that the Scatt is smart enough to know what the target size should be at that range. So if you change target distances, you will need to scale the targets to accurately reflect this distance.
The downside to reduced scale targets is that your score it is not true because the pellet is not scaled down for this reduced distance. But if that reduced distance is all that you have, then you do it that way.
Let us know if you get it worked out.
That's odd. I'm not familiar with the detailed workings of the Scatt, but I have a Noptel system, and it scales the target taking the pellet/bullet diameter into account. The same thing is done with real targets.

For example, if you compare a real paper 50 foot free pistol target to a 50 yard free pistol target, things are not scaled exactly 3-to-1. All the scoring rings on the 50 foot target are shrunk to account for the fact that the bullet is the same size regardless of distance.

I have been practicing free pistol at 10 meters with the Noptel. The 10m free pistol target you can print out is different depending on whether you start with the ring dimensions for a 50 foot target or a 50 yard target. The practice target scaled from 50 feet has a noticeably smaller black than the 50 yard version. A shot with a given angular offset scores the same on the two targets, because they adjust the effective diameter of the bullet as well. When you practice at 10 meters with the Noptel on a target based on the 50 foot target, the holes are relatively large. Using the 50 yard target, the holes displayed are much smaller when the target on the computer screen is set the same size. I've never had any indication that Noptel-ing at either target distance isn't quite realistic when compared with actual scores.

The math isn't rocket science, and I would be very surprised if the Scatt didn't scale things correctly.
maddox987

Post by maddox987 »

Thank you for the explanation. It all makes sense and makes me wonder why SCATT shoudn't be able to do what NOPTEL can ( I am completely ignorant how NOPTEL works and assuming that they are based on samer principle)
I wil try to print 2.5m and 3 m targets again. I am wondering whether my printer made adjustments to the size.

Best wishes.
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

Gwhite wrote: I have a Noptel system, and it scales the target taking the pellet/bullet diameter into account.
I bet you are right. I only processed half of his question. I was pondering his reduced scale problem. Many of our practices are shot at 1/2 scale paper targets, not with the SCAT.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

SPPcoach wrote:
Gwhite wrote: I have a Noptel system, and it scales the target taking the pellet/bullet diameter into account.
I bet you are right. I only processed half of his question. I was pondering his reduced scale problem. Many of our practices are shot at 1/2 scale paper targets, not with the SCAT.
I think the Noptel targets won't be scaled correctly for live fire at short ranges, but I'd have to think about that. I've got a full 10 meters in the basement, so I haven't tried that experiment.
maddox987

Post by maddox987 »

Success at last !

So instead of using the SCATT software to print the scaled down target ( for 2.5m). I printed the target from http://www.coilgun.ru/rules/10m_air_pistol.pdf and in printer settings reduced the size to 25%. I also ensured that the target was printed using the dark black ink of a laser printer and not an inkjet printer, which I was using previously.
(I am aware that I have changed two things at a time so cannot say whether it is the target or the printer ink/printer type but it definitely works at 2.5 m).
As mentioned before, ensure that the target is well lit. I used yellow fluorescent lamp pointing at the target from the side.

All ready to train at home.

Thank you everyone for your comments and feedback.
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

maddox987 wrote:Success at last !
Congrats!
Did you point the sensor up (compared to the bore axis) to compensate for the close distance?
maddox987

Post by maddox987 »

Yes,I have a mounting prism on which I tightened the metal screws ( only a single rotation, compared to my 10 m setting). I performed sensor alignment in the preview mode.

Best.