New updates for the MATCHGUNS MG2 RIO 2016

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
deadeyedick

New updates for the MATCHGUNS MG2 RIO 2016

Post by deadeyedick »

Matchguns updated MG2 is called the "MG2 RIO 2016" and has the following internal modifications.

1. The magazine inserts 1 mm less than before.
2. The bullet elevation platform has a different angle to accommodate ammunition with different specs.
3. The bullet placement lever has been redesigned to more accurately feed the bullet.
4. The secondary release lever has been redesigned to provide a better feel to the trigger.
SamEEE

Re: New updates for the MATCHGUNS MG2 RIO 2016

Post by SamEEE »

Great! But, why didn't they call it the Matchguns MG-2 rev.H? Marketing... :D

Any news as to whether this might be available as a drop in kit?

Asking for a friend.
Image Image
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I would be more impressed if Match Guns announced a distributor in the United States, preferably one with maintenance and repair capability.
EdStevens

Post by EdStevens »

My poor MG-2 is such a mutt. The upper has been back to Italy for repair and replacements twice since I bought it, and when I bought it I'm told it already had parts mixed from the original and second generation. At least.

Having said that, it works really well and I am extremely fond of it! I wouldn't dare do anything to it at this point unless I have to.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

Love my MG2. I'm looking forward to seeing a drawing or photo of the improvement to the secondary release lever. It sounds like it would address my only niggle with MG2.
therider

Post by therider »

does anybody appreciate the difference between a full 150mm barrel as on MG2 and a 125mm barrel as on Pardini? Does it make a big difference?
I havent' as yet shoot the MG2, but it is in my wish list, simply because i have a good feeling with respect to balance and grip.

By the way, i could not see this Rio version in the webpage, although I know that Cesare has been working on making the MG2 work with any ammunition, and he told me he has succeded.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

By the way, i could not see this Rio version in the webpage, although I know that Cesare has been working on making the MG2 work with any ammunition, and he told me he has succeded.
It seems that they have succeeded and the change to the bullett elevator now allows European and U.S. spcification ammunition to be used.

I am sure that Matchguns have not yet updated their website as is the case with FWB and others.

JB...As an MG owner you will know that this pistol has what could be referred to as having two sear mechanisms. One is directly behind the trigger and is adjusted for length and crispness of release. The secondary release lever forms part of this Union and itself releases the hammer from its uppermost cam shape.
It seems the secondary release lever itself has been completely redesigned resulting in a greatly improved "feel" at the point of release.

the rider... I am sure that there are many opinions regarding barrel length and accuracy, however I have attached a small picture of the test target supplied with my last MG2. Five shots 25 metres.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (34.35 KiB) Viewed 6164 times
therider

Post by therider »

Impressive!
What about the explosion chamber (what's the correct English for that?) positioned more towards the hand as compared to other guns? Can you feel a reduced recoil?
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

I always thought that the second stage screw (the one with the adjustable spring and ball in it) is positioned to bear against the wrong face. It should be a vertical screw in the bottom of the frame so that the lever acts axially along its length. That would give a better feel when pulling through the second stage.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

positioned more towards the hand as compared to other guns? Can you feel a reduced recoil?
I am unsure as to the exact reason why the MG2 has such little recoil by comparison to other similar pistols. It may even be a combination of many design features woking together.

I remember the first shot I fired from a MG2 RF back in 2006....it brought the biggest grin to my face as a result of the almost total lack of recoil.
Last edited by deadeyedick on Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I always thought that the second stage screw (the one with the adjustable spring and ball in it) is positioned to bear against the wrong face. It should be a vertical screw in the bottom of the frame so that the lever acts axially along its length. That would give a better feel when pulling through the second stage.
I agree JB, in fact there be some change in that area as well from what I was told.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Great! But, why didn't they call it the Matchguns MG-2 rev.H? Marketing... :D

Any news as to whether this might be available as a drop in kit?

Asking for a friend.

Sam I have no idea why it wasn't named MG-2 rev.H.

The updates may or may or may not be able to fit previous model MG2 pistols. I will enquire and let you know.
Last edited by deadeyedick on Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

"It seems that they have succeeded and the change to the bullett elevator now allows European and U.S. spcification ammunition to be used."

I've never had problems with feeding or ejecting CCI, RWS, Lapua, Eley, SK. What is the difference in their specification?
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I would be more impressed if Match Guns announced a distributor in the United States, preferably one with maintenance and repair capability.
My understanding is that Cesare and Stefano at Matchguns would be delighted if the right people in the U.S raised there hand to take on the distributorship of Matchguns.

Personally I am amazed that it has not happened before this.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

"It seems that they have succeeded and the change to the bullett elevator now allows European and U.S. spcification ammunition to be used."

I've never had problems with feeding or ejecting CCI, RWS, Lapua, Eley, SK. What is the difference in their specification?

http://saami.org/index.cfm

It appears that there are differences in the physical specifications of European produced and U.S. produced .22lr ammunition. This is the reason why many European manufactured pistols will not cycle properly on U.S. ammo, requiring the use of far more expensive European ammunition.
However there are examples of Matchguns that work beautifully on CCI. One of the four I have owned performed faultlessly on CCI however the other three needed Eley, Lapua or such. It would seem the reason has to be with manufacturing tolerances of individual guns. ( you were one of the lucky ones JB )

The RIO 2016 bullett elevation lever has redesigned angles and dimensions to better accomodate the variations in different ammunition specs, as well as handle manufacturing differences that may be present in cheaper ammunition. ...Or so I have been told.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

deadeyedick wrote:
My understanding is that Cesare and Stefano at Matchguns would be delighted if the right people in the U.S raised there hand to take on the distributorship of Matchguns.

Personally I am amazed that it has not happened before this.
The problem is that Match Guns' repair model seems to be that the shooter sends the gun to the factory in Europe. For a shooter in the USA, this means ATF paperwork to export and re-import the gun, which is prohibitive. If they are to operate in the American market, Match Guns will need a service center in the United States.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

The problem is that Match Guns' repair model seems to be that the shooter sends the gun to the factory in Europe. For a shooter in the USA, this means ATF paperwork to export and re-import the gun, which is prohibitive. If they are to operate in the American market, Match Guns will need a service
In Australia the Importer/Distributor resolves warranty issues and parts requirements locally as well as keeping a full inventory of parts.

Warranty work is carried out by sending the pistol to the Importer and having it returned within a very short period of time.

I am sure such a system could be setup in the U.S. making warranty issues, problem solving and repairs relatively painless.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

deadeyedick wrote:
It seems that they have succeeded and the change to the bullett elevator now allows European and U.S. spcification ammunition to be used.

I am sure that Matchguns have not yet updated their website as is the case with FWB and others.

JB...As an MG owner you will know that this pistol has what could be referred to as having two sear mechanisms. One is directly behind the trigger and is adjusted for length and crispness of release. The secondary release lever forms part of this Union and itself releases the hammer from its uppermost cam shape.
It seems the secondary release lever itself has been completely redesigned resulting in a greatly improved "feel" at the point of release.

the rider... I am sure that there are many opinions regarding barrel length and accuracy, however I have attached a small picture of the test target supplied with my last MG2. Five shots 25 metres.
the test targets i have seen from greek mg2 were always quite good and tight. so the one hole test target is not the first one i have seen from mg2.
mine is a not a lot bigger (sn 4xxx)
Attachments
mg2-test.jpg
mg2-test.jpg (22.49 KiB) Viewed 5896 times
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

My old MG2 is a hybrid of earlier versions with upgraded parts added during its lifetime.
I have just received my new MG2RF. The quality of manufacturing is a huge improvement over my earlier one - the machining and surface finishes are excellent. The trigger has always been an issue with my old one (scratchy, probably because of the number of moving parts) but the new one is as goods as my friends new pardini. The rear sight on my old one always sat low on one side but the new assembly sits perfectly square. Two screws for rake adjustment and locking instead of one. I still don't like the trigger shoe but I'll use my old one together with the old grip. Can't wait to get to the range now!
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

it would be nice to get side by side pic to see the newest version changes :)