question about rules...

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
therider

question about rules...

Post by therider »

I always shoot much better in one of my shooting club as compared to the other. Finally I have understood the reasons for that.

In the more professional club, where we have lots of international shooters, and we have very nice a modern facilities for air, sport and free pistols (other than the riflles, which I am not interested in) I shoot really bad.

Today I have seen that we have neon lights which are positioned approximately above the forearm. They are shielded, so they do not shoot light in the eyes of the shooter. However the neon fully illuminates the rear sight and it becomes clear, nearly "white", and, what's worst, it reflects the light back in my eyes. I tried to shoot 50cm away from the stand, i.e. at 10.5 meters so that the pistol was not illuminated by the neon light. Sights were back to their fully black colour and very sharp!
I shoot definitely better.

A question regarding rules.... May be David Levene can help?

Can I put a black sheet of hard paper above the rear sight, bending it like a gallery lining, so that no light hits the rear sight? Is it allowed?
Marc Orvin

Re: question about rules...

Post by Marc Orvin »

8.4.1.3 Sights
a) Only open sights are allowed. Optical, mirror, telescope,
laser-beam, electronically projected dot sights etc., are
prohibited;
b) Any aiming device programmed to activate the firing
mechanism is prohibited;
c) No protective covering is permitted on front or rear open
sights;

Sorry, but the answer is no.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

therider wrote:A question regarding rules.... May be David Levene can help?

Can I put a black sheet of hard paper above the rear sight, bending it like a gallery lining, so that no light hits the rear sight? Is it allowed?
I'm not totally sure what you mean but remember 8.4.1.3 c:-

"No protective covering is permitted on front or rear open sights"
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

Is it legal to blacken the sight with carbon black, a carbide lamp flame, or some commercially available Birchwood-Casey spray on sight black?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

dulcmr-man wrote:Is it legal to blacken the sight with carbon black, a carbide lamp flame, or some commercially available Birchwood-Casey spray on sight black?
Yes, but subject to range rules. As an example, some ranges in Germany will not allow a flame on the firing point.
rmca

Post by rmca »

dulcmr-man wrote:Is it legal to blacken the sight with carbon black, a carbide lamp flame, or some commercially available Birchwood-Casey spray on sight black?
I would do it BEFORE the competition.

6.12.4 The Athlete is responsible for:
a) Reporting to his firing point, ready to shoot, at the designated firing point at the correct time, with approved equipment;
b) Taking his firing position on his designated firing point so that he does not disturb adjacent athletes; and
c) Conducting himself so that he does not disturb or adversely affect the performances of other athletes. An athlete whose behavior or actions, in the opinion of the Jury, disturbs other athletes may be given a warning, penalty or disqualification depending upon the circumstances.

Lighting a flame or spaying your sights on the firing point during a match would certainly qualify as a disturbance.

Hope this helps
Rover

Post by Rover »

Tell them to turn the lights off.

Or you could hold an umbrella.
therider

Post by therider »

Thanks everybody!

@David, I meant putting a kind of "umbrella" over the sights! :-)
So if protective is meant also from light it is not allowed! Pity :-)
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

therider wrote:
@David, I meant putting a kind of "umbrella" over the sights! :-)
So if protective is meant also from light it is not allowed! Pity :-)
Remember that all accessories fitted to the pistol also have to go in the box.

As was suggested, why don't you just use soot or spray to blacken the sights and make them non-reflective.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I really don't have a clue: what do the rules say about light levels at the firing line?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Rover wrote:I really don't have a clue: what do the rules say about light levels at the firing line?
Absolute minimum 300 lux
Recommended minimum 500 lux
Minimum on a finals range 1000 lux
Recommended on a new range about 1500 lux

Those measurements are at approximately 1m above the floor, so they will be higher at the level of the sights.

With that range of light levels I think it could be summed up as "the more the better". That's certainly how I've always felt about the lighting on the sights.
renzo

Post by renzo »

Sorry to dissent with you David, but the new recommended minimum is 1.800 lux

6.4.14 Indoor Range Light Requirements (Lux)

Indoor Range for ...........................General........................................................Targets

......10 m.................Minimum..........Recommended Minimum.........Minimum........................Recommended Minimum

................................300..........................500.........................1500..................................1800
Rover

Post by Rover »

Interesting. I'll have to get my light meter out for our new range setup.

For myself, I prefer it on the dark side; why would you need light on the sights?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

renzo wrote:Sorry to dissent with you David, but the new recommended minimum is 1.800 lux

6.4.14 Indoor Range Light Requirements (Lux)

Indoor Range for ...........................General........................................................Targets

......10 m.................Minimum..........Recommended Minimum.........Minimum........................Recommended Minimum

................................300..........................500.........................1500..................................1800
You're wrong I'm afraid.

We are talking about light levels at the firing point. The 1800 lux level you have quoted is at the targets.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Rover wrote:For myself, I prefer it on the dark side; why would you need light on the sights?
So that you can actually look at the sights, rather than at a silhouette of them.

The other reason, of course, is so that the high definition TV cameras can work properly. ;-)
therider

Post by therider »

David,
I tried with a candle smoke. The rear sight is perfectly black.

I find a bit stupid that the rules don't mention the position of the light source.

Riffle shooters don't have problems as the rear sight is far away behind the light.

Of course with rear sights like those of Pardini and Steyr LP10 there is no problem. They remain perfectly black because they even don't get any light.
Rover

Post by Rover »

David Levene wrote:
Rover wrote:For myself, I prefer it on the dark side; why would you need light on the sights?
So that you can actually look at the sights, rather than at a silhouette of them.

The other reason, of course, is so that the high definition TV cameras can work properly. ;-)
Why would you want to look at the sights? A silhouette is just fine with me; easier to align.
OTD

Post by OTD »

I know this problem from outdoor ranges. A sooth lighter may help. An alternative would be a light filter. I’m mostly using a purple filter glass (amethyst) indoors, when the edges of the sights start to reflect. Purple eliminates glare and both, front and rear sight appear crisp and in a uniform, very dark shade. It’s better than sooth IMO.
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

Possibly a long brimmed hat? At least that wouldn't need to fit in the box.
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey
Deigeh Nisht

Post by Deigeh Nisht »

Rules! We don't need them. Just hand them your jar of piss wrapped in a $100 bill.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/11/world ... .html?_r=0