Having trouble with .32 GSP

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Brewster20

Post by Brewster20 »

I'm getting a failure to feed every 15-20 shots fired. Have examined the mag lips, seem OK (does anyone know the factory measurement between the lips ?) The brass in all cases has a small nick on the bullet end rim (very small, notice it with a fingernail) Have just ordered a new recoil spring, hopefully it should help (won't hurt!)
But now I'm wondering if I'm under loading the cartridges. I'm loading 1.6 gr of Bullseye and a 98 gr ashcan. Could this be the culprit?
Thanks
Cheers
scausi

gsp

Post by scausi »

Hi , I have been shooting my GSP Expert for several years,
MY GSP likes clean brass ,don't like dirty brass ,I can normally reload brass 3 times before I need to clean it again, or it tends to start getting harder to eject from chamber which has a knock on effect loading the next round ,
I also have a regular bronze barrel brush that I bent to a 45 angle so I can give the chamber a bit of a brush after every 5 shots before reloading the next 5. I don't think its your load of 1.6 B/E .. but you could put it up to 1.8
to see if that helps . make sure your extractor is not worn and give it a brush as well. It wont hurt changing the recoil spring, but if it was the spring it would do it more often. (Brass has small nick) If you mean your case has a split on the end then that would be your problem as this would expand under pressure and not extract properly i.e slow the whole ejection process . so throw them in the bin never use split cases .
cheers S
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

My GSP in .32SWL needs some contact between the forward wings of the magazine and the casing diameter.
Try .001" less than the loaded casing diameter at the projectile end, and see how that goes.

the GSP also likes a smidgen of lead protruding from the casing (up to 0.5mm / 0.02") provided your ammo overall length is OK.
Brewster20

Post by Brewster20 »

Thanks for the replies folks, My brass is getting somewhat old, I shoot 30 rounds twice per week, for 400 brass casings for about 2 years. I think I'll start on new brass. I clean the GSP religiously after each shoot
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Brewster
I also have a Walther GSP and had similar problem.
I would try a slightly more rollover crimp.
I have never used Bullseye, so I can't comment on the load.
I use VVn310 load of 1.4 gr.
Brewster20

Post by Brewster20 »

Thanks for the reply, I just re-seated and re crimped 250 rounds...more of a crimp angle. I think part of my problem is the waddcutters, they have a slight button on the top, which creates a small channel between the button and the case rim. Its the case rim which is getting a slight dent on all of the mis-fires. My buddy suggests loading them upside down to get rid of the raised "button". I will try this next.
Cheers
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

I would not load them upsides down, not because of safety, it's made that way for accuracy.
The top rim of the bullet should be absolutely even with the case crimp.
If you have any Lapua or Fiocchi factory rounds, try to copy it.
The little button should not have any effect on feeding, it's too small to touch anything.
One last idea, you may have to adjust the mag lips a tiny, tiny bit tighter, to lower the bullet angle slightly, giving a better feeding angle.
I do not have the exact measurement, but I would contact Walther Competition in the USA, Janet Raab is in charge, and wants to help all Walther users. Here is the contact info;
Janet Raab

Walther Competition Shooting, USA

479-646-4210 ext. 291 office

janet.raab@umarexusa.com

Good luck
Larry Wilkins

Brass hang up on 32GSP

Post by Larry Wilkins »

Been a while but during the Natl's, Had a major reloading problem with new brass. Finally found that just small smoothing and chamfer of the front of the barrel at the ramp and no more failure to feed. Seems that the sharp finish cut into the brass during feed
Hope this helps

Larry
Nothing new under the sun
sobakavitch

. . . .

Post by sobakavitch »

. . . .
Last edited by sobakavitch on Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dipnet

32 GSP, brass, and accuracy

Post by Dipnet »

I was reading this string and thought it would be helpful to provide this link to Tony's Bullseye blog on Dave Wilson; it gives useful information, http://tonybrong.blogspot.com/2010/02/w ... rrels.html.

I noticed that the extractor tended to leave rather pronounced scratches in brass, but it never occurred to me to try and blunt it because it is a thin metal blade. One essential, for those using Dillons, is to use the deep belling die made specifically for wadcutters, seat the bullet flush with mouth, and use a very light crimp.

I tried using 98-grain bullets and slightly hotter loads (1.8gr be, 1.7gr N310) to try to compensate for slower twist, but it never worked well. In fact, on one windy day at Gateway Gun Club, shots that I called to be just right or left in 9 ring were landing in the 5 ring! However, a friend of mine who swears by GSPs had his highest score with the 32 (but he uses the impossible to find Hornady 90gr wadcutters).

I examined the external balistics of the 98gr wadcutters, and theoretically, a load with a muzzel velocity of around 800fps should only have about 2.5-inches of drop at 50 yards. That baslistics calculator does not consider twist rate and that is the problem with tossing coke cans that far.

I've since migrated from a Walther to a Pardini shooting the 32ACP, which is so easy to load (it's a tiny "45"). I've been a lot happeir since doing that and center fire scores are close to those with the 22.

I've attached a load data file that SHOULD ONLY BE USED AS A GUIDLINE. The data were cobbled from manuals and internet reports, so AGAIN, use with caution. dipnet
rloebler

Re: Having trouble with .32 GSP

Post by rloebler »

Brewster

Did you ever find the cause. I'm having the same problem complete with the little nicks on the case.
Dipnet

Post by Dipnet »

Other than loading wadcutters nearly flush with case mouth (previously mentioned), I did not have solution for extractor dings. I sold that pistol sometime ago, primarly due to accuracy at 50 yds being poor due to twist rate, and moved up to a Pardini. The 32 ACP, which is quite accurate. dipnet
divingin

Post by divingin »

Brewster20 wrote:Its the case rim which is getting a slight dent on all of the mis-fires.
I suspect it's happening on all the rounds, but the fired rounds iron the dent back out as the bullet leaves.

How does the round hang up? Jammed between ramp and bolt face? Bolt rides over the round? Jammed between the top of the chamber and the bolt? Whatever it is, consider what has to happen for the cartridge to end up in that position, and work through possible solutions to correct that.

Best of luck
PFribley

Post by PFribley »

Anyone know why Hornady stopped producing those 90gr wadcutters. They were my favorite .314 bullets. I miss shooting with them.