pin hole diopter

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
seamaster

pin hole diopter

Post by seamaster »

Has anyone use those pin hole diopter?

http://eyepalusa.com/eyepal_how_does_it_work.html

Can't you just make one yourself? Punch a small hole on a sticky sticker? or is there more to this?
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

Nope, that's all there is to it.

Black electrical tape will do fine.

$29 saved!

Best way to drill it is to get a 16ga syringe 'dispensiong needle' which is 0.047" ID, and spin it in a drill, then hold fine sandpaper at an angle to the tip, so you create a chamfer. Put it on the tape and rotate while pressing, and it will core out a 047 hole.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Almost all of their blurb with regards shooting is wrong. You do not want to concentrate on the target and you do not want a very large depth of field. So it's of no benefit to shooting IMHO.

Rob.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

You can also buy an adjustable iris to fit your shooting lens. However, as RobStubbs noted, you don't want to focus on the target. Also, a small aperture cuts down significantly on the amount of light getting to your eye which may be a problem depending on the light at your range.

If you want to try it, it is important that the hole be circular or the image will be distorted. I made a pinhole camera with a piece of tinfoil for the aperture - it's easy to get a round hole with an ordinary pin, and then you can mount that to your lens with electrical tape.

BTW, the Master Kit (2 apertures) cost $29.99 plus S&H; so does each individual aperture, and you can't find that out until you click the "add to cart" button". Personally, I would not buy anything from a web site that plays that kind of head game.

Roger
zoned

Re: pin hole diopter

Post by zoned »

seamaster wrote:Has anyone use those pin hole diopter?

http://eyepalusa.com/eyepal_how_does_it_work.html

Can't you just make one yourself? Punch a small hole on a sticky sticker? or is there more to this?
It is very difficult to punch or drill a precise small hole. If not accurately round and with clean edges there will be distortions in the view. I've been using this modified Merit widget for many years with great success. Others who've made it agree that it works extremely well to increase clarity of the sight picture. It can be dialed to make the front post sharply focused. Also, stopping it down will dim the glare of the target background under direct sunlight which I find very useful with the sub-6 hold.

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

As with Merit's suction-cup aperture, the vinyl stick-on types are quite a fiddle to get positioned to your line of sight. If not placed properly they create an unnatural head position which can be quite uncomfortable during a day of shooting.
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

Actually, I make these things and give them away.

If you want one, and don't want to fork out $29 to try it, email me your mailing address, and I'll send you a pair.

Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
shootingsight@nuvox.net
mcm44

Post by mcm44 »

Found this forum and specific thread poking around for information on how to deal with shooting iron sights with my aging eyes.

It's only been 4 years since the last activity but figured I would add to it anyway.

I took two small punches, I have a set I keep for working on my guns. I cut about a 2 inch piece of electrical tape and hung it off the corner of the the bench.

Lit the zippo and stood on its own, heated the punch a bit and then slowly pressed through the tape, spun a bit and it came out clean, Did the same with the smaller of the two and have two sizes, perfectly round holes. Then took barber scissors and cut into circles.

Lined up on my glasses for each one where I could best estimate my line of sight and test-sighted each rifle's sights looking into the back trees.

So far it seems promising, still have to test at the range and see if the sights and targets both still look clear at 100yds.
David M

Post by David M »

Played with adjustable iris's years ago.
Will help for a few shots but soon eye fatigue sets in and you will not make
it for a whole match.
If using a adjustable iris, try with it full open and slowly close the size until you
get a clear front and rear sight only (still fairly large) with a slight blurred target.
If you close it to a pinhole the target will come into focus but very quickly eye
strain will set in.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I use an adjustable iris, but use it as David M suggested. You don't want it any smaller than necessary to get both the front sight & rear sight in focus. If you have to crank it way down, you probably need to investigate getting a corrective lens that will get your natural focus closer to the distance to your front sight. If I can focus on the target, I will tend to do that, so I always try to set things up so the target is impossible to focus on, even if I try.

Lots of people make the mistake of trying to use an aperture to make the target clearer. That usually requires a very small aperture, and cuts the light to your eye down way too much.

Outdoors in bright sunlight, your pupil will naturally shrink down & you may find an aperture doesn't do much until it's quite small. A better balance is to use a filter to reduce the sunlight levels to something closer to a well lit indoor range, and then fine tune with the aperture.