Just wondering-why not white sights?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
smoking357

Re:

Post by smoking357 »

Gwhite wrote:I shoot at a variety of ranges with different lighting. Outdoors there's usually plenty, but many indoor ranges are really dark, especially at the firing line.

I've often wondered if there are rules against wearing a headlight (for example) that would illuminate your sights. It's mostly an issue an issue for the NRA bullseye league I shoot in, but I've had the same issue at some international matches.
Does anyone have an answer to this question?

Would it be against the rules to wear a headlamp that illuminated my front sight??
C. Perkins

Re: Re:

Post by C. Perkins »

smoking357 wrote:
Gwhite wrote:I shoot at a variety of ranges with different lighting. Outdoors there's usually plenty, but many indoor ranges are really dark, especially at the firing line.

I've often wondered if there are rules against wearing a headlight (for example) that would illuminate your sights. It's mostly an issue an issue for the NRA bullseye league I shoot in, but I've had the same issue at some international matches.

Would it be against the rules to wear a headlamp that illuminated my front sight??

You have to be nuts(I had to delete what I actually wrote).
So; you have a headlamp on your head and any where your head direction moves it shines in that direction.
Get it ?
So shine on the walls, the participants eyes and etc...
Thanks for the laugh of the day :)
smoking357

Re: Re:

Post by smoking357 »

C. Perkins wrote:
smoking357 wrote:

You have to be nuts(I had to delete what I actually wrote).
So; you have a headlamp on your head and any where your head direction moves it shines in that direction.
Get it ?
So shine on the walls, the participants eyes and etc...
Thanks for the laugh of the day :)
You probably should have deleted this, too.

Headlamps have simple and effective switches. Pity your manners aren't as easily actuated.

Life's better without you in it. Bye.
Last edited by smoking357 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C. Perkins

Re: Just wondering-why not white sights?

Post by C. Perkins »

I pity you also.

Go to a match with what you describe and let us know how it pans out.

Good luck.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Glad you finally saw the light.
Pun intended.
:)
jaxontarget

Post by jaxontarget »

tedbell wrote:The other post about colored transparent sights motivated me to post about something I've wondered about for a long time, and I throw it out there as more of a philosophical discussion. Why not paint the sights white? If you are trying to stay focused on an object (i.e. the front sight) against a black background (the target), wouldn't it be easier to focus on a white object against a black background as opposed to a black object on a black background? And if you're trying to maintain the front sight centered in the rear sight by monitoring the gap on either side of the front sight (which currently entails focusing on a black sight against a black background while in your peripheral vision monitoring a dark gap between black front and rear sights against a black background), would'nt it be easier (and possibly more precise) to monitor that dark gap if it was framed on both sides by white objects, thus highlighting the gap and making it stand out better (and thus making minute changes in it more apparent)?

Just something I've thought about, and wondered what thoughts the rest of you have about it.
I've always wondered the same, or rather have had similar questions; The sights on my defensive pistols ...3-dots, or even better, night sights, why aren't they OK for Bullseye?? I'd be all over that. Best for me have been those oversized supressor sights with a wide front blade and a wide rear slot...like bullseye for idiots. I also don't get why the red dot option is out for International competition and is all but laughed at in AP...OK, it probably IS laughed at! I've got some vintage eyeballs I'm stuck with...if a red dot helps me see what the pistol is pointing at without giving me any significant advantage in holding it there and releasing the shot, what's the big deal? Getting old is highly overrated.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"Getting old is highly overrated."

Nah....there are lots more younger women.

I don't think the colored sights give you ANY advantage in Bullseye.