Considering getting the LP400 Carbon

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Sparkling Melon

Considering getting the LP400 Carbon

Post by Sparkling Melon »

Hello everyone,

I am currently a shooter based in the UK. I have been shooting smallbore rifle (mostly prone) for some years now and recently ventured into 10m air pistol, which I enjoyed. I would like to develop my skills even further.

A shooting coach recommended that I buy a good quality gun, and suggested that I go for a lighter model - the weight of the IZH46 almost put me off the discipline - hence the Walther LP400. Looking at various online sellers, the price seems to be fine at £1400~1500. Having found the small grip comfortable on other guns, it seems that the M size is probably best for me on the Walther (as they are a size smaller than usual, apparently).

Does anyone have experience with the LP400 carbon? Are there any glaring technical issues with it? Is Walther generally reliable in terms of support, especially in the UK?

Many thanks.
SamEEE

Re: Considering getting the LP400 Carbon

Post by SamEEE »

Hi, and welcome!

Yeah I have some experience with them. A friend of mine owns one. It seems okay - shoots fine.
Outstanding issues? There were some early issues with them in that the thread on the regulator/bottle was fine and was prone to galling in the adapter. This seems to be resolved now.

They are nice and light. I would suggest you try shoot a few common models and see what one you like most. I wouldn't rush out and buy a Walther LP400 myself, I would suggest a Morini, Pardini, or Steyr.
Image Image
scerir

Post by scerir »

LP400 "carbon" is 870 grams only (and I did not like it). I prefer the LP400 "alu", which is also a lightweight, 950 grams.
javaduke

Post by javaduke »

My son shoots one and he loves it! The grip works fine for him, the trigger is very nice. The only thing to watch out for is when the cylinder is not screwed in all the way, the gun will still shoot but won't have enough power to push the pellet all the way through the bore. It happened to us once and we had three or four pellets stuck in the bore and I had to push them out with a thin brass rod.
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

I love mine. Even more than the Izzy I shot my best scores with.

It's going to be a long time before I can use its potential. Weight is easy to add, much harder to remove.
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey
Scrench

Post by Scrench »

I've owned about a dozen World-Class quality pistols, every SSP made except the Walther, and most PCP's including two Steyr LP10's. I sold my last Steyr for my Walther LP400 Carbon Club. In fact, I made the mistake of sipping the Steyr Cool-Aid legend so much that I had talked myself into believing that the Steyr was the Holy Grail and had actually sold my Walther for a couple of months until reality set back in, and only by the grace of God did the buyer of my Walther agree to sell it back to me. To anyone who tells you a gun is too light, you can always add weight, but you CAN'T subtract it. I shot my Steyr's with short cylinders, rifle triggers, and pulled off the shrouds to get them near the weight I wanted. The Walther already comes at a great weight and the balance is wonderful. It's much quieter than other PCP's, gives more shots per cylinder, and has a longer sight radius making it potentially more accurate. All of my PR's are held with it, and I've never had a mechanical problem. I have heard of galling problems on the cylinder threads, but if you lube them regularly and be careful to screw it on straight, lightly, and not in a hurry, you shouldn't have a problem. My Club version is the cheapo model with a few Hammerli parts, but the parts that really matter are all Walther. 3 people at my club shoot them. The only reason I would ever sell my Walther is to buy the full version, used, at a good price, or if mine ever self-destructed.

Look... I could go on and on as to why I will only use the Walther LP400 from now on, in fact I've already done so in some other posts so track them down if you can, but really, as anyone will tell you, only you can decide what works best for you, so you must make the effort (or spend the bucks) to try these guns out first-hand. You already discovered with the IZH that it's too heavy and the nose-heavy weight makes the balance atrocious. I agree completely. BUT, a lot of guys will come on here and argue that it's perfect for them, that they love the weight and balance. See, all you are going to get here is personal opinions which run from one end of the spectrum to the other. You must do your own homework.

Where's Rover to tell you to stick with SSP's?

Merry Christmas,
Scrench
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

To anyone who tells you a gun is too light, you can always add weight, but you CAN'T subtract it. I shot my Steyr's with short cylinders, rifle triggers, and pulled off the shrouds to get them near the weight I wanted. The Walther already comes at a great weight and the balance is wonderful. It's much quieter than other PCP's, gives more shots per cylinder, and has a longer sight radius making it potentially more accurate. All of my PR's are held with it, and I've never had a mechanical problem.
This is the relevant part of scrench’s post and has been my experience as well.

I have owned many AP’s ( including two LP400 ..one carbon long and one alu compact ) and the LP400, especially the latest updated versions are hard to beat especially if you factor in price.

I found one important truth....

1. Take advice from experienced shooters who have owned the particular model in question and be wary of advice given by someone who knows someone...who heard something from someone who is more likely to be biased towards another brand anyway.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Not meaning to hijack this, BUT...... Shooters are usually pretty good about letting you shoot their air pistols. Shoot everything you can and remember how sensitive people are to differences in perception. My P44 is not everybodys cup of tea, but its mine....... Theres so much about personal feel that you should to experience as many as hou can touch.....;
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

A bit off topic, here's a taiwanese copy of the LP400 that sells for considerably less than the original. (looks like a hybrid between a LP400 and the AP20):

Listone LAP-1 PCP Air Pistol

Features:

• High-quality 10m competition air pistol
• Precharged pneumatic
• Air release knob
• Resorber double compensator
• Ambidextrous make
• All-in-one universal grip right/left, variable sizes S-L
• Micro regulator pressure system
• Patented adjustable arming mechanism
• Detachable air cylinder
• Adjustable weight and route trigger mechanism
• Rear (U,D,R,L) and front sights are fully adjustable
• Meets ISSF requirements

Specifications:

• Caliber: .177 cal
• Barrel Style: Rifled
• Velocity: 550 fps
• Shot count: Up to 90 shots per fill
• Mode Single-shot
• Loudness: 2-Low-Medium
• Air Pressure: 200 bar max
• Barrel length: 25cm
• Overall Length: 45cm
• Height: 14cm
• Width: 7cm
• Weight: 1.976 lbs (approx. 900 grams)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqVYQh80K_M
Attachments
Listone_LAP1-1.jpg
Christopher Miceli

Post by Christopher Miceli »

I'd say the Walther and Steyr trigger are about the same...so thats either something you like or don't.
django

Post by django »

i had this one and sold it after my left grip screw broken. If this still on walther lp400 be careful. don't turn this very often.
Most common problem is this pistol-grip position easy to change. After i fix those broken crew i sold it. only have 1 pressure tank you will have problem when it leak or damage when you're on tournament.

honestly new fwb p8x better than walther p400. I have try and so much different than p44 and event better improvement than steyr evo.
sad i already buy morini 162 ei before try this pistol.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

looks like Walther will introduce LP500. They had a camouflaged air pistol in Munich and in one photo it looked like it had an electronic trigger
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

If so, I would have thought they might have shown it at the SHOT show last week. I haven't heard about much from the show, but it's also possible they don't view the US market for match air guns to be worth the bother.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Gwhite wrote:If so, I would have thought they might have shown it at the SHOT show last week. I haven't heard about much from the show, but it's also possible they don't view the US market for match air guns to be worth the bother.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YggJ55d ... video_user
Leon

Post by Leon »

The new Walther LP500 will be available from March 2018 onwards.
Attachments
LP500.PNG
mkShooting

Post by mkShooting »

the new Walther LP500 will be available from March 2018. We think shortly after IWA!!
As we know in the moment an electronic trigger will be available.
Stay tuned: http://www.mkshooting.de/walther-lp500-luftpistole.html
j-team

Post by j-team »

mkShooting wrote:the new Walther LP500 will be available from March 2018. We think shortly after IWA!!
As we know in the moment an electronic trigger will be available.
Stay tuned: http://www.mkshooting.de/walther-lp500-luftpistole.html
I wouldn't touch one until at least 6 months in the market. Let other suckers do the product delevopement for them like what happened with the LP400 (and MG2 and Pardini electronic etc)!