RK - Radial Keratotomy; Procedure from the 1990's?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

RK - Radial Keratotomy; Procedure from the 1990's?

Post by atomicgale »

Have any shooters had RK - RADIAL KERATOTOMY performed in the early 1990's?

A now Obsolete procedure - which my Ophthalmologist describes as a "DEVASTATING PROCEDURE" to the cornea. I had Radial Keratotomy performed in 1992. This is NOT the newer LASIX. This was eight incisions directly on the cornea. I had the "Starburst" forever since the procedure. However, now 25 years later, my vision has deteriorated substantially. The left eye is terrible, the right eye holding out for now - which I've dropped Rifle and picked up pistol.

Has anyone had similar long-term side-effect from RK?

What solutions/improvements/recommendations?
atomicgale

Re: RK - Radial Keratotomy; Procedure from the 1990's?

Post by atomicgale »

Many lawsuits filed over Radial Keratotomy. It was a "Grab the Cash & Run" 90's money maker, as so-called "World Class" eye surgeons lined up people like a manufacturing plant.

However, my eyes are stuck with these results.

Any medical or practical remedies among competitive shooters out there for "RK-EYES"?
m1963

Post by m1963 »

RK is very popular, yet today. Especially for military applications involving jumps from aero planes/helicopters, as LASIK can lead to eyes reopening under pressure. Check how many RK surgeries have been done by the US Army, in the last year, for reference.

We know of two people who have benefitted from LASIK, after RK. There is a limit to the procedure, though, as the cornea does get thin.

We also know that most people who have had RK would never do it again. RK= PAIN!

I would not do LASIK again, either. Multiple surgeries required to get optimal results- it is not as described in the brochures, folks!
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

Perhaps part of the solution is getting the right shooting lenses. I know how to do the offset for regular vision correction, what I do not know is how RK eyes might differ in correction needs.

Do you have a distance prescription you could share?
Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
www.shootingsight.com
info@shootingsight.com
513-702-4879
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

atomicgale wrote:Many lawsuits filed over Radial Keratotomy. It was a "Grab the Cash & Run" 90's money maker, as so-called "World Class" eye surgeons lined up people like a manufacturing plant.

However, my eyes are stuck with these results.

Any medical or practical remedies among competitive shooters out there for "RK-EYES"?
presumably cornea transplant is the ultimate remedy but it might need a lawsuit to pay for it in the US.
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

@M1963. Disagreement. "RK" differs from "PRK." Radial Keratotomy=Done with a SCALPEL. PRK=Photo-Refractive Keratectomy-done with a Laser (a predecessor procedure to LASIK.)

At this time (quoting: Office of The Surgeon General, Chief of Army Optometry): It is their position that NO WAIVERS be recommended to persons having a history of RK (Radial Keratotomy) surgery -- a different procedure than PRK (Photorefractive Keratectomy) and LASIK (laser-in-situ keratomeileusis), which are now both waiverable.

PRK/LASIK (Military): Naval Academy midshipmen, the Academy will PAY for PRK/LASIK to be done. Navy/Air Force will issue waivers for PRK/LASIK for Aviators. Army is blanket waiver for Airborne, Air Assault, and Ranger school, (but NOT for USASOC: HALO, SCUBA, SERE.)

So, there you have it! The "PRK" guys can still jump out of perfectly good airplanes, while the old "RK" guys can't even get in the door to become 11-Bravo bullet-stoppers.
Ltdave

Post by Ltdave »

i had Lasik in 2002 and my eyes are STILL at 20/20 and 20/20-...

the issue i have is ive gotten some of my astigmatism back and PRK is the recommended procedure for correcting it...

i still havent pulled the trigger on going through it...
m1963

Post by m1963 »

@atomicgale- it certainly looks like you are correct. Our son had the procedure I thought was RK, in 2009, at Ft. Campbell, just prior to going to Afghanistan. He was in terrible pain for a week and said he would never have done it if he had known the pain it would cause.

Cheers!
m1963
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

@M1963: What was long-term result from your Son's eye procedure in 2009?

1. Was the procedure the "P-RK"?
2. NOT "RK" - with Scalpel?
3. What have the 8-year results been since 2009?
4. Was the "Pain" acute & just after surgery, or has pain been long-term?
5. How was optical performance in the field?
6. Optical acuity now?

I originally had GREAT results from the RK (other than the star-bursts.) Spending 14 years in Breckenridge Colorado, and many-many hours above 10,000 above sea-level in the "High Mountains." Had absolutely hawk vision seeing from one mountain range to the next.

HOWEVER!!! 20-25 years since the RK in '92, the eyes are starting to go "Real Bad." Was RK - Selling your soul to the devil?