Munich World Cup Free Pistol final

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
j-team

Munich World Cup Free Pistol final

Post by j-team »

Just had a quick look at the video of this and noticed that all the shooters are wearing black armbands.

I assume that this is a small act of protest in regard to the removal of Free Pistol from the Olympic program.

Can anyone confirm this?
ChipEck

Re: Munich World Cup Free Pistol final

Post by ChipEck »

According to various Facebook posts, yes it was in protest of free pistol being dropped from Tokyo Olympics
stuart

Post by stuart »

I watched the final and it was exciting, if you need a reason to keep free pistol in the Olympics just watch it yourself and wonder at the skill of the shooters. Black armbands show the sadness of the shooters at the decision to drop this discipline and I feel the same.
Jon Math

Post by Jon Math »

They had to drop something to make room for 3 on 3 basketball didn't they? Did not even know that was a sport, along with a hand full of other pseudo sports that have recently been replacing traditional ones; and not just the shooting sports. I really did not know Red Bull took over the IOC, but it sure seems like they did.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Just think of the huge numbers of competitors involved in: soccer, rugby, basketball (3x3 requires 64 places), hockey, water polo, baseball/softball, synchronised swiming - the list goes on...

The nature of the events is being changed to make the games "more youthful, more urban(?) and include more women". Can't see how FP or PR would transgress those aspirations if made mixed events. I feel sure that women don't shoot FP because it has been traditionally a male event. Open it up and see what happens. I'm sure quite a few women already shoot 50m prone. WRT to double trap - no brainer.

Reading latest ISSF newsletter, the deal is already done and the Extraordinary General Assembly called for the 25 protesting national federations on 25 June wold appear to be a waste of time.

Bob
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The NRA doesn't bother with gender nonsense for free pistol at the collegiate level. There are a number of women competing in the event at the national collegiate championships every year. A quick look at this year's results came up with at least 7 out of ~ 47 shooters total. Last year, Alana Townsend came in first in the country, with a 93.5 in the finals.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Open to both sexes does not equate to equal opportunities for success in competition.
Besides it has already been decided by IOC, so it is done for better or worse.
http://www.issf-sports.org/news.ashx?newsid=2822
Image Image
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Worse! But well done Alana Townsend!
Jon Math

Post by Jon Math »

I can see adding new sports to keep the games fresh and modern, maybe even changing the way some current sorts are conducted (less shots, shorter time limits etc.), but why remove sports to make space for the new sports? Why not just extend the Games to three weeks if needed. It isn’t like they would need to spend a fortune building another shooting venue. An extra week means more TV advertising sales, more ticket sales more hotel room sales, more food sales etc. seems like a win win for the athletes, IOC and the host city.

It seems like a lot of nations are not interested in hosting the Games because of the huge investments for only two weeks of events as it is now anyway. Perhaps by adding another week they pay back would be better.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Might be tough getting the 100's or 1000's of volunteers to stay for three weeks rather than two. Interest might also "peter out" if the time was lengthened.
renzo

Post by renzo »

Not to mention the princely accomodations the IOC demands for its staff............................ including an exclusive lane for their transportation in the new highways built in Rio, around the clock hot 5-star cuisine for everybody, et al.

They talk a lot about the dirty deeds of Senhor Havelange and Herr Blatter, but the Marquis of Samaranch could keep them in good company.

Just think of the ban on Russian athletes (guilty or not) and compare it with the admission of the NBA's "Dream team" to barcelona 1992 on the conditions of keeping all of them free of drug controls.

By the way, the rattling sound you hear in the distance are the bones of Baron de Coubertin turning ceaselessly in his grave!!!!
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Renzo:
I agree with you 100%. The IOC is hopelessly corrupt. The ISSF is, in the best of cases trying to keep the sport alive and, in the worst of cases, just as messed up as the IOC. And the national organizations are left to follow the dictates of the ISSF in order to keep the sport going. Why don't these institutions have more clout within the ISSF? There seems to be little representation of the shooters in the whole shebang because it's all about MONEY, which boils down to TV viewership, so athletes are left with the consequences of catering to the consuming public. Is that good, bad, sad, stupid? I don't know! I often wonder what is the wise attitude about it all. What would a Zen mind do with all of it? I suspect I know, but I also enjoy getting upset with the organizations in power. Perhaps that's why I'm not as good a shooter as I could be.
renzo

Post by renzo »

Ricardo wrote:Renzo:
I agree with you 100%. The IOC is hopelessly corrupt. The ISSF is, in the best of cases trying to keep the sport alive and, in the worst of cases, just as messed up as the IOC.
I vote for the latter.
And the national organizations are left to follow the dictates of the ISSF in order to keep the sport going. Why don't these institutions have more clout within the ISSF? There seems to be little representation of the shooters in the whole shebang because it's all about MONEY, which boils down to TV viewership, so athletes are left with the consequences of catering to the consuming public. Is that good, bad, sad, stupid? I don't know!
Both organizations are ruled by a minority of countries which take the lion's share of the podiums. Now and then you have an athlete from a second or third-rate sporting level (no disrespect) making the headlines, but it´s once in a blue moon and doesn't affect the decision-making process. You´ll never see Jamaica influencing the IOC because of Usain Bolt's golds, nor the Republic of Vietnam because of Cuong Trang Quoc's medal in Rio. If you doubt it, check this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-time_ ... edal_table and also this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISSF_Worl ... mpionships
I often wonder what is the wise attitude about it all.

I do, too, but to no avail. Such pyramidical organizations allow only the "inside" people to climb through the ranks, so a change of lead rarely produces a real change of policy.
What would a Zen mind do with all of it?

I hope you're not considering seppukku.
I suspect I know, but I also enjoy getting upset with the organizations in power. Perhaps that's why I'm not as good a shooter as I could be.
Ditto