offhand smallbore? what rifle?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jmo

offhand smallbore? what rifle?

Post by jmo »

i've been shooting 10m air rifle for a couple of years and now i am interested in smallbore.

from reading the issf and the nra website, it seems smallbore is shot in 4 positions, i prefer offhand though.

my question is this, what rifle should i be looking at? there seems to be a plethora of choices from anschutz, feinwerkbau, weihrauch, etc. i really do not know where to start and there isn't a local smallbore target scene. there seems to be a few used guns floating around, unfortunately i am a lefty.

i noticed that a lot of the smallbore rifles are using the air rifle stocks, ie. 2002, 700. i am accustomed to the sticker shock associated with rifles and shooting, but where should i start?

thanks

Post by Guest »

What exactly do you want to use the rifle for? Most .22" target rifles are not really suitable for use offhand, by which I presume you mean a more sporting stance. If you mean standing (using the jacket and glove) then you'll have more luck, apart from dedicated prone rifles (BSA Internationals, and any Anschutz with the model number ending in 11) most .22" target rifles are designed to be shot standing.

However small-bore is rarely shot only from the standing position. Usually this is combined with prone and kneeling for 3-P (aka 3x40, or 3x20). If you only want to shoot standing I would stay with the air-rifles.

As for what you should buy, that's more difficult. Partly it's down to cost and partly use. If you intent to shoot 3-P a free/sport rifle (thumbhole stock and butthook) will give you the most latitude in terms of stock adjustment, however free rifles are not cheap to buy new. They can be found second hand; and many shooters buy this way, aqcuiring upgrades on the way. Small-bores do NOT use air rifle metal stocks; small-bore aluminium stocks are different, allowing easier use prone.

Anschutz, Feinwerkbau, and Walther are all excellent rifles. To chose between their new models you would have to handle one, and preferably use it first as it is a big investment. Second-hand may be the way to go. Small-bore barrels last a long time, so older rifles can still be accurate. left-handed rifles are available, most used ones will be Anschutz; although you may have to wait to find a good one.

You really do need to find a small-bore target club, there you will be able to see what it involves, what is used, and talk to small-bore shooters. If there is no club near you, where were you planning to shoot? Some coaching is vital to acheive any degree of improvement, without this you may end up wasting time and ammunition and still not know what is causing your mistakes. I'm not trying to sound negative; the more people taking up the sport, so much the better, but be realistic.

Hope this is of some help.

Tim S

Exeter, UK
mikeschroeder

Re: offhand smallbore? what rifle?

Post by mikeschroeder »

jmo wrote:
from reading the issf and the nra website, it seems smallbore is shot in 4 positions, i prefer offhand though.

thanks
Hi

Since you mention offhand, you may want to try Silhouette which is all offhand. The basics are chickens at 40 meters, pigs at 60 meters, Turkeys at 77 meters and Rams at 100 meters. You shoot at ten each total, five are lined up in a row. It's really pretty difficult.

There are several good sights, just search Goggle on Smalbore Silhouette. Naturally any gun you buy for 3 position isn't any good for Silhouette and the opposite holds true too.

Good luck

Mike
RobH

which smallbore

Post by RobH »

As guest said, first you need to decide what you are going to use it for. I started shooting air rifle and pogressed into 3-p smallbore. I find the 3-p quite enjoyable and challenging. Since I have been shooting air rifle for a while I find my offhand scores are to my satisfaction. My prone an kneeling still need a litle work. Anyway, I shoot an Walther LG-300 Alutec air rifle, so I bought a Walther KK-200 Power Match for smallbore because I liked the feel and fit of the air rifle. The two rifles are very similar, so I find it easy to adjust from air to smalbore. My position feels very much the same since I can set up the stock in an almost identical way. I would recomend that if you are satisfied with your air rifle, whoever the manufacturer is, that you look at what they have to offer as far as smallbore goes. I think that is probably the best place to start.
HTH
Rob