use of rifle weigths

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

dgold

use of rifle weigths

Post by dgold »

Weights in the rifle
I want that advise me as using weights in smallbore and air rifle. Advantages and disadvantages. In prone is good, or it tires the arm.In standing it does displace the center of gravity forward, in air it is serious, in smallbore also?
In kneeling it reduces me the oscillation and shoot well. Why Anschutz´s weights doesn't go forward?
donavaneason

Welcome to the Sport of Personal Preference

Post by donavaneason »

I know this probably isn't what you're wanting to hear, but it's really a personal preference issue. Some people want their rifles extremely light so that it is easy to handle and adjust. Whereas, others prefer the rifle to be within oz. of surpassing the max weight limit. It's pretty much common sense however. The more weight, the slower the movement. The less weight, the more movement. However, you have to find the medium so that you don't displace your weight too much to the muzzle of the rifle. My personal preference is to have the butt of the rifle loaded down with weight. This way, the movement is slow, but it is not tipping me over when I'm aiming! And if you need some foreend weight, just get a couple of tuner balances to add to the muzzle. If you want to see some of the good shooters differences in balance/weight techniques just go to www.issf.tv There's some cool stuff on there. Hope this helps somewhat.
Donavan